Search the forum,

Discuss New sink waste in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Am trying to get my head around plumbing in my new 1.5 kitchen sink. The waste arrangement looks complicated, to my mind at least.
Have attached photos to show how the pipework looks connected up as per instructions. I am not sure how one is supposed to do this as the pipework extends some 170mm past the rear of the cabinet. Even if I fit it 180 deg about I would not be able to shut the door! Am I missing something here. Have contacted the manufacturer who were not exactly helpful.

Attachments

• P1302727.JPG
    P1302727.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 25
  • P1302728.JPG
    P1302728.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 17
  • P1302729.JPG
    P1302729.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 17
Oh yes I know the hacksaw will be needed at some point. Have attached another photo showing my latest arrangement. If I cut the adapter with the dishwasher spigot this arrangement will work, well at least it is all within the sink limits though taking up a hell of a lot of cupboard space. The old 1,5 sink it is replacing, different part of kitchen uses 2 separate bottle traps which looks so much easier. I intend to use a HEPvO self sealing trap further down the line so that inside the cupboard look as little cluttered as possible. Is this manufacturer supplied setup common? If it is do they ever try them out themselves!

Attachments

• P1302730.JPG
    P1302730.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 24
You can cut more off various lengths to get it neater- but personally I would chuck it in the bin and use two p-traps!

Now another question to you knowledgeable chaps. Attached is yet another photo this time of sink and pipework in situ. Naturally being a kitchen sink is currently 40mm. Could I reduce that to 32mm as it is quite a small sink in reality. Would make it easier as the unit backs onto another unit with barely 40mm gap between them so going 32mm would be great. And finally should I extend the pipe work a bit after the P trap so as not to turn it into an S trap which I have read are susceptible to siphonage?

Many thanks

Attachments

• P1312734.JPG
    P1312734.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 13
Remove a bit of material with a multi tool or chisel to let in the 40. Don't go to 32 if poss. (Although tbf that's the kind of corner I might cut in my own home but never for a customer )

If I use 40mm the pipework will have to go down and out the bottom of the cabinet. Not as neat as going out the back but I suppose with the door closed who will see, or care, anyway.
Final consideration is to whether to use a HepV0 valve outside the cabinet which means I would only need to cut one hole in the shelf. Only considering this as I have a 40mm valve already.

If I use 40mm the pipework will have to go down and out the bottom of the cabinet. Not as neat as going out the back but I suppose with the door closed who will see, or care, anyway
So crack on.👍

Well done for avoiding 32. You might have regretted it.
Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow.

One final question re this setup. It is regards the outlet to which I will connect the dishwasher. It does not appear to have a rubber washer on it but the plastic to plastic looks a good tight fit. Am I correct in thinking there is no rubber washer? It is a McAlpine SK1 kit. Have contacted McAlpine but still awaiting an answer to this.

Do you mean the small bore spigot?
The dishwasher hose jams on to the plastic spigot, sometimes you have to cut down the spigot. Make sure you take out the blue insert and also use a jubilee clip.

One final question re this setup. It is regards the outlet to which I will connect the dishwasher. It does not appear to have a rubber washer on it but the plastic to plastic looks a good tight fit. Am I correct in thinking there is no rubber washer? It is a McAlpine SK1 kit. Have contacted McAlpine but still awaiting an answer to this.
As per WC1
It's not like a tap connector - there's not normally a rubber or fibre washer - the plastic to plastic seals well enough.

As per WC1
It's not like a tap connector - there's not normally a rubber or fibre washer - the plastic to plastic seals well enough.
Thanks WC1 and Basher that is what I will do. The 2 plastic surfaces look very smooth as if made for one another.
Thanks again.

Reply to New sink waste in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock