Search the forum,

Discuss New Riello burner issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I recently fitted a new Riello RDB2.2 E21/26 to replace my old burner of 16 years. It worked first time no problem but every time I want to use the heating now I need to go out to the burner/boiler house to press the little reset button on the thermostat box. It is firebird 70/90 and the thermostat has a range from 60-90. It’s like the thermostat is getting too hot and tripping out but the heating will run until I turn it off. It’s not tripping during use, only on restart I need to press the reset button. No need to ever press button on burner.

Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 47D7C038-9DEC-4221-8417-39918F9736D5.jpeg
    47D7C038-9DEC-4221-8417-39918F9736D5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 936326EC-C0C8-4958-9E27-9164386F006E.jpeg
    936326EC-C0C8-4958-9E27-9164386F006E.jpeg
    817.6 KB · Views: 7
Normally, when you refurbish a boiler and install a new burner set it is prudent to replace the external burner controls and cabling at the same time. The additional cost is minimal. The heat resistant cable eventually starts to get brittle and can allow the ingress of moisture

Assuming that the thermocouple is the correct type and mounted correctly. The fault you describe is indicative of dirt in the thermostat or rust forming around the spring connectors.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Many
Normally, when you refurbish a boiler and install a new burner set it is prudent to replace the external burner controls and cabling at the same time. The additional cost is minimal. The heat resistant cable eventually starts to get brittle and can allow the ingress of moisture

Assuming that the thermocouple is the correct type and mounted correctly. The fault you describe is indicative of dirt in the thermostat or rust forming around the spring connectors.

Hope this helps

Many thanks. I got stuck at the last minute over last weekend and could only get a new burner but I accept your suspicion and advice of a new thermostat. Its 16 year old itself at this stage so no harm anyway. Thanks again.

Too much heat going into boiler from new burner. How did you set up the combustion?
Latent heat at point boiler is turned off is tripping the high limit stat.

Too much heat going into boiler from new burner. How did you set up the combustion?

The shop I purchased it from said it was setup to go. Bench tested in Riello and no adjustments required. Was I misinformed do you think?
[automerge]1571577021[/automerge]
Do you think the main air damper or 2 stage air damper require adjustment to suit the firebird 70/90?

Last edited:
The shop I purchased it from said it was setup to go. Bench tested in Riello and no adjustments required. Was I misinformed do you think?
[automerge]1571577021[/automerge]

Do you think the main air damper or 2 stage air damper require adjustment to suit the firebird 70/90?

Hello Raymo,
The burner cannot be “setup to go” despite what the shop told you.
(That would be impossible as it would depend on what boiler it was to be installed onto and flue sizes and types and location of boiler. Your boiler could be on top of a mountain, or at sea level, or sited in the middle of a town, etc.) :)
Definitely you need an oil engineer to set up the burner to suit your boiler output and to achieve perfect combustion.

I agree with Simon g,
Burner possibly not commissioned correctly,
And like mentioned above when the burner stops/heating off external controls also swich off trapping the heat causeing over heat.

Absolutely agree with Best. Simon has identified the cause, you must get the new burner set to suit your specific requirements.
Start with manufacturers data plate setting, usually a mid range setting identified buy an asterisk.
Not a DIY job. You must employ an oil technician to set this up, for safety’s sake.

Absolutely agree with Best. Simon has identified the cause, you must get the new burner set to suit your specific requirements.
Start with manufacturers data plate setting, usually a mid range setting identified buy an asterisk.
Not a DIY job. You must employ an oil technician to set this up, for safety’s sake.
Thanks everybody for your advise. Will call engineer tomorrow

Reply to New Riello burner issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock