Search the forum,

Discuss New Radiator Tails Rust looking Discolouration in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I had a new radiator fitted around a month back and I've noticed the joints which are sealed with Hemp (or modern equivalent / Boss White appear to be slightly discoloured / rusty. This might simply be a little seepage before the joint sealed etc as there is not weeping from the joint that I can see / feel. Is this normal / expected? Might seem paranoid, but I'd rather get something resolved now rather than have a rusty radiator several months down the line.

I'm surprised Hemp (or modern equivalent) / Boss White is used these days but many folks seem to swear by it.

Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_8706.thumb.jpg.77d431dec76f4fd463b85b2c35f1b8ed.jpg
    IMG_8706.thumb.jpg.77d431dec76f4fd463b85b2c35f1b8ed.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8707.thumb.jpg.78b13f7510be99906facc35412705c5f.jpg
    IMG_8707.thumb.jpg.78b13f7510be99906facc35412705c5f.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 13
Loctite 55

Did you notice anything at the time of install ?

I would keep an eye on it for the next month even if it’s putting a kitchen towel below the joints

I would keep an eye on it for the next month even if it’s putting a kitchen towel below the joints
I fully intend to but thanks for calling out. Is it common for this to happen prior to a seal? Like some expansion / curing takes place? I'd personally have thought PTFE would have been used opposed to 55 and boss white.

I'd personally have thought PTFE would have been used opposed to 55 and boss white.
It occurs to me that perhaps the radiator had slightly oversized threads and/or the connectors were undersized and ptfe wasn't sealing. (If you use a good quality brand of radiator, e.g. Stelrad, the chances of this sort of problem are very low IME.)

Another possibility is that the installer had to dismantle the joints for some reason and transferred some rust from the threads onto the hemp in the process.

It occurs to me that perhaps the radiator had slightly oversized threads and/or the connectors were undersized and ptfe wasn't sealing. (If you use a good quality brand of radiator, e.g. Stelrad, the chances of this sort of problem are very low IME.)

Another possibility is that the installer had to dismantle the joints for some reason and transferred some rust from the threads onto the hemp in the process.
They are Henrad which is a type / brand of Stelrad. They came from a reputable merchants. But of course may be simply the plumbers choice :)

When radiator was replaced so was TRV and lockshield.

I fully intend to but thanks for calling out. Is it common for this to happen prior to a seal? Like some expansion / curing takes place? I'd personally have thought PTFE would have been used opposed to 55 and boss white.

It could have been on first heat up when everything is new etc

Reply to New Radiator Tails Rust looking Discolouration in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock