Search the forum,

Discuss New push fit adaptor leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Soldered up a bunch of new pipe work to move a rad and decided to use push fit adapors on the last section where the new pipe joins the existing.
Mainly because it was my first time soldering, the area is quite tight and i struggled to get the existing pipe fully dry in order to make the joint.

Refilled the system to check for leaks and one of the push fits leaks before ive even put the ch on. Its the one up top leaking from the 10mm side

DSC_2303.JPG

Draining down this leg now so i can remove the offending fitting and replace.

Will double check that the pipe has been properly de burred and use some sort of lube when re fitting.

Any other suggestions when re fitting ?

I always been a bit skeptical as to how reliable these fittings were but thought id try them for the first time.
Probly due to installer error or maybe i just got a dud part but now im thinking i should have just got by trying to solder in an adapter.

How did you cut the 10mm is it fully in the fitting ?

Have a check and make sure the copper pipe hasn’t snagged or damaged the rubber o ring inside the speed fit fitting. Like mentioned make sure it’s fully pushed home.
You can use silicone spray to prevent damage to the o ring when assembling.
If you don’t have this handy, hand soap works well to lubricate. Copper can be sharp when cut so can easily damage the fitting if care isn’t taken.

This is quite surprising to me. I've sung the praises of the JG Speedfit a couple of times on here in the past precisely because I've found them so reliable. I use and re-use them many times over in our training workshop and also keep the same 22 x 22 x 15 on my pressure test pump all year, used several times every day and have yet to have one leak despite all the mounting and demounting and pressurising.

Firstly, check that both the o-ring and the plastic support ring are inside. Aside from that the tube must be cut with a tube cutter and not a hacksaw (unless forced to and you file the pipe clean afterwards) to make a smooth lead in to the fitting. Also the pipe must be as close to perfectly round as possible, any deformation can cause leaks. Same goes for any scratches that can be felt with a fingernail. If you can feel a scratch like that then cut back or replace.

All that considered it may be just a dodgy fitting but I've yet to find one but it must happen.

So i drained down, removed the fitting and found a very small dent around the back of 10mm pipe, maybe about 6 or 7mm back from the cut edge of the pipe. I reckon i probably overtighened the pipe cutter first time around causing it to deform the pipe slightly.

Re cut the pipe back deburred, made sure no dents, cleaned and refitted a new reducer (just to be sure) refilled system and all seems good now.

Thanks for the replies
[automerge]1568490239[/automerge]
For first time soldering, if that's your work on show, it's pretty good.

Thanks.

I had a quite a few practice tries with a few spare joints on some off pipe cuts beforehand.
Also had loads of attempts at de soldering the old joints for the supply to the taps and wc cistern that i couldnt cut due to positon and directions of the joints.
Finally managed to overcome the issue of small amounts of water in the pipes. Even with a wet vac it took me quite a few tries...almost resorted to using the bread trick to temporarily block the pipes after seeing it online somwhere.
Got there in the end.

All good practice i suppose.

Reply to New push fit adaptor leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock