Search the forum,

Discuss New mixer tap not activating pump. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, complete newbie so hope you don't mind me asking for help...
I've just had my dripping thermostatic bath/shower mixer tap replaced, which was fab for the first few days. However, it is now taking ages for the hot water pump to kick in when using the bath or shower for the first time. This morning it took nearly four minutes! I'm wondering if the thermostatic valve could be faulty? The pump was working perfectly well with the old tap, and once it kicks in it's fine, it's just getting it to kick in that's the problem!
The tap is ten days old so I'm wondering if I should just return it and try a new one.
Thanks so much for reading this!

The taps may have a filter, usually one on each of hot and cold. If they are easily accessible I'd suggest checking / cleaning them, particularly. If they are clogged they may not allow enough flow to start the pump.
Make, model and photograph of shower might be helpful.

Is it suitable for low pressure eg gravity flow ?

The taps may have a filter, usually one on each of hot and cold. If they are easily accessible I'd suggest checking / cleaning them, particularly. If they are clogged they may not allow enough flow to start the pump.
Make, model and photograph of shower might be helpful.
The taps are new, only fitted a week ago. Would the filters still need cleaning?

Hi, yes it is - from 0.5 bar according to the blurb. When the pump kicks in it's fine.

There’s your problem wrong spec for your pump two options change the pump to a negative head / universal or change the taps

Normal rubber washers and not 1/4 turn cartridges

Normal rubber washers and not 1/4 turn cartridges
I'm so sorry to be a pain but that doesn't mean anything to me 😝 I'm buying them online and none of the taps I've seen have this sort of information. Can you recommend a particular mixer tap please? Thanks so much!

There’s your problem wrong spec for your pump two options change the pump to a negative head / universal or change the taps

your new taps will have non return valves fitted and the head of water you probably have is struggling to open them
Hi, thank you! So I'm guessing the delay is waiting for the pressure to build up to open the valves....
Is it possible to get mixers without non return valves?

That’s exactly it - and once opened it is fine. I had exactly the same problem and I “disabled “ the non return valve (don’t tell anyone!) I no longer have an issue

Thank you
That’s exactly it - and once opened it is fine. I had exactly the same problem and I “disabled “ the non return valve (don’t tell anyone!) I no longer have an issue
So much
That's fab! Thank you so much for your help.... and for making it so understandable!

Reply to New mixer tap not activating pump. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock