• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss New Mixer Shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

trogre

Reaction score
My mixer shower has given up the ghost after 7 years so not too bad but a new cartridge is £140 so looking at buying either just a new mixer valve or the complete kit. Present mixer shower is the normal exposed type not the bar mixer variety.

It seems the exposed bar fitting kit/brackets make fitting of bar valve a lot easier especially if you need to take off the valve for servicing or fit a new valve. My question is if I say purchased say for example a Triton exposed bar fitting bracket kit will only Triton bar shower connect to it or are the kits universal so I could fit another brand of valve?

I must admit I never took any notice but the hot water pipe for shower is on the right! So plumber installed old mixer shower upside down but fortunately you do not notice. I need to rectify this so have two options. One is to swap pipes above the ball valve to shower which would involve several bends or modify the hot & cold pipe coming from combi. This in theory would be easier but not sure if I would have to drain the boiler which if I did that would not be a job for me.

Lastly and this is really a petty question really but here goes. My present shower riser rail is in perfect condition so a bit hesitant if I purchased a mixer valve compete with rail that I would have to drill new holes in tiles as I doubt if screw holes would match. The shower hose is as far as I know is a universal fitting but is the shower head as well?? My rail is Triton so would only a triton head fit the hose/shower head retainer. I have read several times that it is best to have the shower head made by the manufacture and matched to the shower.

Thank you for any help and I am not very good at explaining things clearly so please ask me to clarify if needed.

CBW1982

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Hello Trogre,

In answer to some of your questions: riser rails, shower heads and hoses are generally universal and usually 1/2” bsp.
You can actually purchase mixer showers and if the existing set-up is incorrect, this can be corrected without the need to swap the pipes, but can’t remember which brands do these showers.
I think a lot of the fixing kits are universal, but may need to check with Triton instructions.

WC1

Reaction score
1. They are pretty much universal. But always check.
2. If it's a combi you won't have to drain down the heating side of things (radiators etc), just the hot water pipes from the boiler to the shower.
3. The cowl over the fixings can often be made to cover old fixings/holes, if any are visible make them the top ones out of eyeline and fill carefully ( get coloured silicone to match tiles usually) but the head should fit in the new riser, the riser claw grabs the end of the hose usually not the head so universal.
4. It often is better to use the original head. Also depends on pressure and flow.

OP
T

trogre

Reaction score
Thanks you both for your replies & help. Very useful info which I have taken onboard.I have ordered a square bit of mirror polished stainless steel in case I need to cover the old holes. Very cheap off fleebay as I saw how someone covered their old holes up with the same and it looked good. If not used then only £3 spent.
Thanks again for help

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
The price of everything and the value of nothing...
What type of hot water system do you have? What make of shower is the existing?

OP
T

trogre

Reaction score
Hi Yorkshire Dave. Hot water system is a Worcester combi boiler and at present it is a triton dart exposed mixer.As I mentioned does not seem much point in spending £140 on just a cartridge when you can get many bar mixer valves for just under or over that price. True they may not last as long but from what I have read the bar mixer is very easy to take off to change.
I got the "mirror finish"polished bit of stainless steel fro flee bay. I am glad I only paid £3 as it is more like brushed steel!!

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
Have you thought about the quality of a thermostatic cartridge costing £140 compared to the quality of a set up where valve (contains a cartridge), hose, riser rail, head all combined cost less than this?

OP
T

trogre

Reaction score
What is the saying buy cheap buy twice of something like that!! And in most cases you only get what you pay for.
I totally agree if a replacement cartridge costs £140 how can a complete shower with valve, rail, & head costing the same price be the same quality.
My old triton dart shower once I cleaned it up is as new yet 7 years old. No doubt at least the quality of the chrome a cheaper shower valve will be no where as good.
I did think of buying a cheap new valve but just not worth the hassle in the long run.
While a lot of electrical items have improved in quality over the 7 years and not cost a fortune is that the same with plumbing materials & hardware??
You guys are buying stuff every day so must of noticed a difference one way or the other in quality?? I know ptfe tape is so thin now if you use it as no doubt like most stuff it is made in China. China can and do make some really good stuff but do make some really crud quality stuff as well:eek:

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
What is the saying buy cheap buy twice of something like that!! And in most cases you only get what you pay for.
I totally agree if a replacement cartridge costs £140 how can a complete shower with valve, rail, & head costing the same price be the same quality.
My old triton dart shower once I cleaned it up is as new yet 7 years old. No doubt at least the quality of the chrome a cheaper shower valve will be no where as good.
I did think of buying a cheap new valve but just not worth the hassle in the long run.
While a lot of electrical items have improved in quality over the 7 years and not cost a fortune is that the same with plumbing materials & hardware??
You guys are buying stuff every day so must of noticed a difference one way or the other in quality?? I know ptfe tape is so thin now if you use it as no doubt like most stuff it is made in China. China can and do make some really good stuff but do make some really crud quality stuff as well:eek:
As every regular on here is tired of seeing, it is never the fault of the producers no matter which country of origin. It is buyers and ultimately you and I as consumers who dictate quality. If we only want to pay peanuts then manus will continue to specify shlte.

Chinese manufacturers can, and do, produce quality that far exceeds UK & USA manufactured goods. The only criteria is whether the buyer wishes to pay for it.

In your situation, I'd bite the bullet & buy the new cartridge.

CBW1982

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
My mixer shower has given up the ghost after 7 years so not too bad but a new cartridge is £140 so looking at buying either just a new mixer valve or the complete kit. Present mixer shower is the normal exposed type not the bar mixer variety.
What I say your existing shower - eg what cartridge do you need?

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom