Search the forum,

Discuss New kitchen tap install in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I need to replace an old leaking kitchen tap at a rental property and having fitted one of these before I've decided to go for the Cooke and Lewis mono mixer from Screwfix, which comes with 356mm flexible tales and a G 1/2" end:

1618910414281.png

The tenant has sent me some photos of the existing tap and connections. The first shows the copper tails from the tap connected to some flexible hoses:

1618910470397.png

The next photo shows the other end of the flexible hoses and this appears to be connected to a 3-way compression fitting:

1618910542110.png

So, if I do decide on this tap, it looks like I'll have to do some work under the sink as I don't particularly want to connect the new tap flexible tails to the existing pipework flexible tails. Also, although I haven't got measurements, I suspect the new tap tails won't be long enough to reach the 3-way compression fitting and even if they did, I'm not sure if the G 1/2" connection on the tails would screw onto the 3-way compression fitting. (I confess, I'm not exactly sure what size connection the G 1/2" is!).

I would appreciate your thoughts on how the new tap could be connected to the existing pipework.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1618909657643.png
    1618909657643.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 3
Offer your new tap up and see where the flexis dangle to. Cut a piece of 15mm copper for each feed and connect them to the tees, attach the flexi to the copper you just put in.
You will probably need an extra nut and olive for the top of those compression tees as the flexis are connected to them with tap connectors rather than nuts and olives.
You can get a 15mm isolating valve or coupling for under a quid, use the nuts and olives off that.
So from the top it will be Tap -> Flexi -> Copper tube ->Tee

Offer your new tap up and see where the flexis dangle to. Cut a piece of 15mm copper for each feed and connect them to the tees, attach the flexi to the copper you just put in.
You will probably need an extra nut and olive for the top of those compression tees as the flexis are connected to them with tap connectors rather than nuts and olives.
You can get a 15mm isolating valve or coupling for under a quid, use the nuts and olives off that.
So from the top it will be Tap -> Flexi -> Copper tube ->Tee
Thanks JCplumb. That is exactly what I thought I might have to do and I did wonder about where to get the nut for the existing compression fittings from, although I suspect I may have some spares in my "plumbing box".

How would the new flexible tails be connected to the new, extended 15mm copper pipe? Is there a particular fitting I would need to use? It's not clear in the photos, but I guess there is a fitting on the end of the existing copper tails that I might be able to re-use, but that assumes the existing tails have the same G 1/2" fitting as the new tails.

I've just watched a helpful video that indicates the G 1/2" fitting is 1/2" BSP, so the same size as a standard compression fitting, so it would appear I can screw the end of the tails into a compression fitting, although I'm aware these are not flat, so it could cut into the washer on the tail fitting.

Yeah it depends what fitting is on the end of the flexis you have. If it's nut and olive then straight onto copper, if it's tap conns with rubber seals then a 15mm - 1/2' union would be the preferred choice but people do attach them to standarrd compression fittings like couplers or ISOs successfully 'most of the time' :)

If I connect a 1/2 fexi directly to a 15mm compression, I give the 15mm a quick file to take the edge off.
I have found these on Screwfix, which look like the perfect fittings to attach a flexible hose to a copper pipe.

Compression adapting male coupler 15mm x 1/2" (69358)

The description doesn't say the 1/2" end is flat, but someone asked the question and the response was that it was. To be sure, I've asked the same question, but not yet received a response from Screwfix, who seem to be hit and miss these days.

I may just buy them anyway.

I have found these on Screwfix, which look like the perfect fittings to attach a flexible hose to a copper pipe.

Compression adapting male coupler 15mm x 1/2" (69358)

The description doesn't say the 1/2" end is flat, but someone asked the question and the response was that it was. To be sure, I've asked the same question, but not yet received a response from Screwfix, who seem to be hit and miss these days.

I may just buy them anyway.
I've just answered your question on the Screwfix site, the answer's yes.

Reply to New kitchen tap install in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock