Search the forum,

Discuss new installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
the guy ive booked to do the job checked the gas pipe thats connected to the boiler said there wont be a issue getting access to it as the new unit is going straight above and can adjust the pipework (i should imagine bigger pipe) this is not my career field , i am trusting the installer for his experience

the guy ive booked to do the job checked the gas pipe thats connected to the boiler said there wont be a issue getting access to it as the new unit is going straight above and can adjust the pipework (i should imagine bigger pipe) this is not my career field , i am trusting the installer for his experience

Not doubting his integrity but it takes more than the few inches of pipework above the boiler to be upsized to deliver the full gas rate. Did he actually measure the gas working pressure at the meter and boiler, and gas rate the boiler?

You're going from a Thorn Apollo which vary from 11 to 18.3KW depending on model, to a 34KW boiler. Much more power, not even taking into account that modern boilers demand far more gas than older ones to run efficiently and safely. Depending on the length of pipe run, that's going to need a fair bit of pipe upgrading.

I think you really, seriously need to look beyond the price, stop focusing on what you've gleaned from YouTube, and get a few recommended professionals in to quote. Online reviews don't really mean a lot. Get personal recommendations. This really is a case of you having a little knowledge, which is leading you to make potentially dangerous decisions.

Or you can ignore our professional advice. Your call.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive no idea how he is doing for 400 and gleeming reviews from years inc pics shown look prof to me all pipes square on the wall etc , agreed not powered flushed but that is going to be adressed in a few days (not over xmas) which will put the price up i think

end of the day he is a gas safe approved

Your mind is obviously made up. Best of luck, I hope all goes well...

As long as you're happy my friend that's all that matters.

Wouldn't go Worcester tho....

Merry Christmas!!

Gas Safe does not guarantee quality

As long as you're happy my friend that's all that matters.

Wouldn't go Worcester tho....

Merry Christmas!!

Least the back up service is better than ideal

Well I got the pm and the op requests I keep the guys details quiet. I would urge the op to step back, take a breath and get a few more quotes and expect to pay considerably more for a quality installation.

ive sent the reg posters on this topic the same pm, as i dont want the person site all over a public forums, again keep the advice coming i am taking this onboard again thanks

Personally I have very little time for people like OP, you don't necessarily have to understand the technicalities of the work being carried out, just the the costs of a professional to carry it out correctly.

I believe they don't need to research the overheads and costs we incur each year to trade as heating engineers, common sense tells them that ÂŁ400 less the material costs would not leave enough to cover our overheads, let alone provide a reasonable profit margin.

That is why they are on here asking questions and the other quotes are so much more, surely?

If you think that your research has lead you to understand what is required for your new boiler install then carry on, why rely on anyone else but be warned as Mr Ruskin said-

“When you pay too much, you lose a little money — that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot — it can’t be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.” John Ruskin

i wont be paying him anything until the job has been completed, ive done loads and loads of research watching powerflushes reviewing everything online, went over and over done my homework for sure so i know what the powerflush looks like, i think i need a baileys now
and here is qualifications
GAS SAFETY REGISTER ******

NIC CERTIFICATION ( UN-VENTED HOT WATER STORAGE SYSTEMS)

CITB

CPA1 (Combustion Performance Analysis) 31/03/14
CCN1 (Domestic Natural Gas Safety) 30/03/14
HTR1 (Gas Fires and Heaters) 30/03/14
CEN1 (Central Heating Boilers 70KW) 31/03/14
CKR1 (Gas Cookers) 30/11/10

Can I have his number please, I might get him subbing for me! lol

I find it mad how you lot can instantly try and shut down a fellow engineer who you have no clue about. Instantly make him sound like the devil. This fella unlike most of us gas engineers might not want or need much and is happy doing things on a day rate and plodding about earning a few pennies here and there. Your telling the client and getting into his head about how his qualifications might have expired when how on earth would you know. People like this customer do my head in - think they know it all because they have googled it and asked there IT guru buddy down the pub who had his boiler fitted 3 years ago. I no your trying to advise but it's not sounding like advise more like trying to do everything to turning this guys mind. Not everyone is bad just because there cheap..!!! I know guys who work for far less than I do and probably are turning over a lot more than me as their phones are always ringing as they are known to be cheaper..!! Which we all know most customers only care about the cheapest price !!!!

First post mate. You should do a little reading on here first. We have dozens of these a month where people are moaning about a poor job when they've paid peanuts or got in an illegal. When we have the chance to warn people before they make an expensive mistake we do it. We're not bashing another installer but when important stuff like his credentials are out of date on his advert it sets alarm bells ringing. Too many illegals about so I wouldn't go bashing what people on here say as we're all on the same team

Last edited:
I find it mad how you lot can instantly try and shut down a fellow engineer who you have no clue about. Instantly make him sound like the devil. This fella unlike most of us gas engineers might not want or need much and is happy doing things on a day rate and plodding about earning a few pennies here and there. Your telling the client and getting into his head about how his qualifications might have expired when how on earth would you know. People like this customer do my head in - think they know it all because they have googled it and asked there IT guru buddy down the pub who had his boiler fitted 3 years ago. I no your trying to advise but it's not sounding like advise more like trying to do everything to turning this guys mind. Not everyone is bad just because there cheap..!!! I know guys who work for far less than I do and probably are turning over a lot more than me as their phones are always ringing as they are known to be cheaper..!! Which we all know most customers only care about the cheapest price !!!!

You want to start again without the chip on your shoulder?

Hello Boilers, and Welcome . Hope you continue to contribute. The forum has a diversity of views
but the "be nice" rule is to be respected. We get enough aggro at work.

Last edited:
an update, the job is starting soon, im going to take pics before & after
ive spoken to the guy and double checked he is on gs register which he is,i can only go off his reviews which there is over 400 some just plumbing some on installs etc everyone of them are spotless going back a few years now
he is doing to powerflush as requested and the correct gas supply pipe, im not going to question him anymore going off his reviews, ive done everything possible inc full review from valves to the boiler itself
will let you know how it goes, no heating for 24hrs not looking forward to this :(

:) good luck and should be fine

Keep us updated good or bad

thanks shaun, and is anyone req anything off the old boiler for spares (thorn apollo 15/30b) before it gets scraped eg clock/timer control gas valve etc

hi guys
well a update on the new sys, its all up and running took longer than 2 days went into 3, what more can i say the sys has been reg with gs and worcester, no leaks , only issue i had which was put right was 2 rads were 3inches off the ground, got him to lift them upto 6inches, all benchmark paperwork completed and jobs a goodin and heats the house up in about 30-40 mins

hi guys
well a update on the new sys, its all up and running took longer than 2 days went into 3, what more can i say the sys has been reg with gs and worcester, no leaks , only issue i had which was put right was 2 rads were 3inches off the ground, got him to lift them upto 6inches, all benchmark paperwork completed and jobs a goodin and heats the house up in about 30-40 mins

Good result, glad you are happy
We love a good boiler picture here:bucktooth:

20170103_062129.jpg
20170103_081833.jpg
20170103_114337.jpg
20170110_193257.jpg
20170114_102209.jpg
20170114_102222.jpg
20170114_102239.jpg

nope its horizontal, pics req of that ?

also its connected to a mixershower (mira discovery) and its out this world, dreading my waterbill, love it

Last edited:
It does look like a DIY job but if it works and you are happy then thats the main thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to new installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock