Search the forum,

Discuss New house, 1 cold radiator, I've run out of ideas, help! in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Moved in to bungalow recently and 1 radiator is cold. All the others get really hot when turned on. Gas system boiler, header tank in loft.
I tried balancing, turning off other radiators, increasing pump speed, but best I could get at high pump speed is a tiny bit of heat in radiator, barely noticeable heat when hand touching it.
I've run cleaner through system for two weeks and refilled.
I was convinced it must be a blocked rad or dodgy valves (which were old) so replaced with new radiator and valves at each end. The radiator filled up again ok, and I bled it.
Still the same. No heat at all, except for a warm inlet pipe when running pump full whack with others off.
Most of the other rads are copper piped but this one is black poly pipe not that makes any difference, apart from I suppose it might have kinked.
Is there anything else I can try, or do I assume blocked pipe and get the floorboards up to replace the pipe?
Thanks

Did you test you had water running from either valve ?

No it does means only one might be open / flowing

Need to remove the rad and test into a buck each valve

No it does means only one might be open / flowing

Need to remove the rad and test into a buck each valve
When I removed old rad after draining down, the right hand pipe (the return) did leak water for quite a while as it was slightly below drain off point. Mind you, that water could have been old water trapped behind a blockage.
I think your suggestion is the way to go. Thanks

An update if anyone's interested..
Got through winter without this rad and waited till weather warmed up a bit to have another go at solving this, when heating could be off without suffering.
Found some previously removed floorboards and discovered I could get under the flooring and crawl about. Came to a dismountable joint in plastic pipe which led to the rad in question and undid it. Found pipe with crud blocking it just on the joint. Lucky. Managed to push fish tape puller through to rad and used a wet vac to suck the muck out.
All working now, so sorted for next cold season.

An update if anyone's interested..
Got through winter without this rad and waited till weather warmed up a bit to have another go at solving this, when heating could be off without suffering.
Found some previously removed floorboards and discovered I could get under the flooring and crawl about. Came to a dismountable joint in plastic pipe which led to the rad in question and undid it. Found pipe with crud blocking it just on the joint. Lucky. Managed to push fish tape puller through to rad and used a wet vac to suck the muck out.
All working now, so sorted for next cold season.
That is great that it was a simpleish fix in the end!

Reply to New house, 1 cold radiator, I've run out of ideas, help! in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock