Search the forum,

Discuss new heating advise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom1

Hi,
I am looking to put in new heating system in a loft conversion. I need bit of help in a few areas.
the heating and hw will be unvented and split into two heating zones.

firstly I am looking at position of the stats

I was thinking the downstairs zone stat in the entrance and the upstairs stat on the landing
but will the heat from down stairs rise up and shut off the upstairs heating

Thanks

So your going to have a system boiler and an unvented hot water cylinder and then 2 separate zones?
Is there any particular need for 2 seperate zones? is it a big place?
You are right about the heat rising though so if you put the upstairs stat in the hall area it will be affected by the downstairs heat :)

I did a loft conversion last year, which ended up in a complete new unvented heating & water system needed as the original heating was full of sludge & all pipework was a mess.
The builders electrician told me he thought the upstairs wall stat was better in master bedroom because of exactly what you say, - heat from downstairs hall would shut upstairs stat off if it was in upstairs hall. Had to admit he had a point.
So he fitted one downstairs in hall & one upstairs in master bedroom & I didn't fit Trv on that rooms radiator.

Last edited:
its not massive just as its all new thought it might be a good idea to have a bit more control for the sake of an extra valve and stat. its 2 bedroom with unsuits upstairs and 6.5x8m and downstairs is 10x9m. I also thought of putting the master bedroom on one zone and the rest of house on another

I did a loft conversion last year, which ended up in a complete new unvented heating & water system needed as the original heating was full of sludge & all pipework was a mess.
The builders electrician told me he thought the upstairs wall stat was better in master bedroom because of exactly what you say, - heat from downstairs hall would shut upstairs stat off if it was in upstairs hall. Had to admit he had a point.
So he fitted one downstairs in hall & one upstairs in master bedroom & I didn't fit Trv on that rooms radiator.

I have never pondered this before

Bedrooms generally tend to be similar steady temperatures, providing the radiators are calculated right- or at least proportionally same output in each room. So to put a wall stat in a bedroom should mean that when it shuts that circuit off, then the other bedrooms will be no warmer.
Living rooms can be different as there is other heat sources, - like fires, televisions running for hours & more likely to have several people in a living room (body heat).

I think my post disappeared, what about master bedroom on its own zone and the rest of the house on another,
downstairs is 10x9m and upstairs is 6x8m

I think my post disappeared, what about master bedroom on its own zone and the rest of the house on another,
downstairs is 10x9m and upstairs is 6x8m

Think you are required on a conversion with a few rooms to zone the upstairs as part of building regs, but you might need to check that out.
To just zone the master bedroom would make no sense as the other bedroom rads would be shut off if a downstairs wall stat shut off. If you are going to the expense & bother to have a motorised valve controlled by a wall stat upstairs, then it might as well control all the rads upstairs.

Balance the system right and the roomstat positions will be o.k

does pose me little problem then
I don't like the idea of bedroom stat controlling all upstairs and a stat on the landing will shut off too early, may be its not worth having the extra zone

well in any case i am looking at heatmiser touch screen

can anyone recomend any other nice looking stats

I always tend to put bed zone stat in master bedroom, standard practice for most Designs. A lot depends on the use of the property tho.

Salus iT500 and iT300 nice looking controls and can be controlled via a tablet or smart phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to new heating advise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
Hi. A new house regulation for a 2 zone heating system because it's bigger that 150sqm. I'm I right in saying zone 1 should be all of the downstairs radiators and zone 2 all of the upstairs radiators ? I have thermostat room programmer down the stairs and another one upstairs. I think the two...
Replies
Views
A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I have 2 zones - one for bedrooms upstairs and another for the living areas downstairs. Now the plastering has been finished and I am costing the combi...
Replies
Views
Hope someone can help. I have dual zone heating in my new build. I have a TPOne-M downstairs and a TPOne-B in the master bedroom upstairs. When I turn on the heating using the downstairs TPOne-M it heats up half of the ground floor, kitchen/diner, hallway and then 2 of the bedrooms upstairs...
Replies
Views
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock