Search the forum,

Discuss New gas appliance not working in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

kasser

Gas Engineer
Has anyone installed a brand new gas appliance, other than a boiler, only to find out that it doesn't work due to a manufacturing defect?

I installed a new gas hob (from B&Q) the other day. When I turned it on, the flame would not stay lit because the gas would cut out. It seemed like the thermocouple was getting heated enough and not keeping the gas valve opened. However, all 4 rings behaved like this and all 4 thermocouples were right in a flame. I managed to get one ring to stay lit but it was hit and miss.

The previous gas hob worked fine and the working pressure was correct. It took a lot of convincing from me for the customer to finally believe that I did not install the hob incorrectly and even more to get paid.

Has this happened to anyone - brand new gas appliance not working? Not common I guess?

I once had 2 faulty electric showers in a row. I thought I was going mad and started to doubt myself....

Yep I have never heard of a hob , odd boiler .
If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work.
Yes can see customer being a pain too , not your fault

Depends who supplied :D

Customer thank god! Maybe I need to let customers supply their own appliances in the future.

If I had supplied the hob, I think it's only fair that I get another replacement myself as they had nothing to do with it.

I've had a few range cookers where a ring or two wouldn't stay alight from new. Calling manufacturers out on day one doesn't look good from a customer's point of view.

Had a 4 burner neff hob where non of the rings would stay lit. Called manufacturer out, wasnt there when they fixed it so don't know what they did but it worked fine after.

I've had a few range cookers where a ring or two wouldn't stay alight from new. Calling manufacturers out on day one doesn't look good from a customer's point of view.
Why should it reflect on the installer? Obviously a manufacturer fault. My T&Cs stated that, for a client supplied appliance, my charge was for installation and attempt to commission - and that appliance faults were a matter for the client to take up with the supplier. In fact, with fires, it was a sales tool. If they bought it off me I would do any first year repairs FOC, which saved them messing with the manufacturer.

Why should it reflect on the installer? Obviously a manufacturer fault. My T&Cs stated that, for a client supplied appliance, my charge was for installation and attempt to commission - and that appliance faults were a matter for the client to take up with the supplier. In fact, with fires, it was a sales tool. If they bought it off me I would do any first year repairs FOC, which saved them messing with the manufacturer.

Oh yeh sorry doesn't look bad on the installer... Just looks bad on the manufacturer from customer... If I bought a new boiler I'd expect it to be faultless for atleast a few years...not break down on day one.

What type of gas is supplied?

If you have a LPG hob and are connected to Natural Gas, then what you're saying will happen.

If it was the other way around, you would have huge uncontrollable flames.

It could also be the regulator.
Have you tested the gas pressure on the outlet of the regulator.

Reply to New gas appliance not working in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock