Search the forum,

Discuss New Careers Skills! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jameswiggins

I know some guys may be sick to death of the same questions over and over again
but i've tried looking at apprenticeships but i'm 33 so nobodys interested in taking me on and college is out the window
cos i need to bring some kind of wage in. Is New career skills any good or would you recommend any other training courses?

Hi James.
I did the NCS course, started it in 2009, and paid around £7k for the plumbing and green engineers (renewables) course. Personally I found it met all my needs as an adult learner (35 years old). I was in a full time career with public service, but decided to start my own business combined with re-training, so two massive steps for me. It worked really well for me, as the structure of the course meant I would do some theory study in my own time, then complete a weeks training at the training centre, then off to do more study at home. The course meant I did 7 one week in centre training, and it took me about 18months to complete. So this meant I could still work and earn a wage.
I had some DIY trade skills already which is a real help when doing the course, but not essential. I would strongly recommend that if you do follow the NCS, or any other providers course, you get some experience outside of the in-centre weeks to build on your knowledge and skills that you obtain during the course.
It is not a fix-it and get quals quick course, as that would be no use to man or beast, but it gives a fab start and grounding in my opinion.
I was very wary at first of such courses and did loads of research, before I split with my hard earned cash. The NCS, personally, fitted all my requirements. The best advice I could give is do your research, go and speak to an advisor, visit their training centres and talk to tutors and students alike. If you like what you see then go for it.
For me they have offered a lot of “after” service, such as work experience, work leads, shadowing workers for my jobs and additional paid workers for jobs I have been stuck on. You put in what you get out I believe.
You will find negative comments about NCS and other providers, but hey, aren’t people more prepared to complain and moan than they are to compliment and praise.
Hope that helps. Message back or give me a bell if you want to discuss more.
Please note that I am not employed by NCS or anyone else, I run my own company, www.jspmltd.com.
Good luck. Dave.

Hi there, I done a New Careers Course and although, like Dave said, they do work round your time schedule, and some of the Tutors, namely 'Kevin Holgate' in Doncaster, are very good and if they can help you then they will. However, I would just say that the after care service our group had was very minimal, if anything. No help at all really. I would also say that you should try the colleges again. I am 45 and started with NCS in 2010, so I was 43. I paid nearly £5,000 only to find out in the end I was not getting what I was led to believe I would, until the morning of the final exams. Was not, and still not happy bunny. On top of that found out a couple of weeks ago that I could have done it through a college in Wisbech in one year, three days a week study, leaving 4-5 days a week to work for only £850, and would have had a FULL NVQ2. Since October, when I passed my NCS exams, I have been trying to sort things out and work on my own with the skills I learned from Kevin, and although slow like any new business is, I am now on 6 housing Letting Agents lists, and do private work, which although still not every day, is starting to pick up, purely on word-of-mouth and referals, which is a good thing. Because I am not flat out yet, I am now in the process of registering to start this NVQ2 Course at Wisbech in Sept this year, so right now to fill in the time I have until Sept, I am looking to start my Gas Safe Training with 'NIC EIC' in Luton ' NICEIC ecatalogue 2011/2012 and work hard to see if I can pass that asap, which by the end of June/ July next year I should have my NVQ2 and be Gas Safe Registered. I know that if you are working for yourself you don't need the NVQ2, but I want to be the best I can, so makes sense to me to have that NVQ2 in my back pocket. Pays to shop around and double-check and even tripple-check everything and everyone. If you make a mistake, it will hold you back and cost you a lot of money. Good luck to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm enrolled with NCS at the moment, I spent a lot of time researching before parting with the cash & asked lots of questions which they seemed happy enough to answer, they offer various payment methods, be it monthly or in full.
I paid £1000 up front and split the rest over 18 months, interest free.
I'm doing the City and Guilds 6189-11 Level 2 NVQ in Plumbing and Heating & so far I have completed module 1 theory and I have my 1st practical week next week, they literature provided is good and clear and you can go at your own pace.
Like you I also looked at apprenticeships first and found employers reluctant to make the investment, & I wasn't too keen on the wage cut to be honest so NCS is perfect if you're in that situation.
If you're unsure or hesitant about signing up for whatever reason, I'd recommend giving them a call and asking to meet an advisor. The guy I met came out to me 3 times before I signed up.
Best of luck, which ever route you chose.
Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Careers Skills! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m after some advice. I would like to make the move into gas and heating engineering. Currently I’m looking at the routes available and think that going through a training centre would be most suitable for me. Some background: I’m a junior structural engineer and have spent...
Replies
Views
I recently read a post / comment whereby there was a recommendation that if you are away from your home more than 24 hours, then you should turn the water off to avoid potential catastrophic damage. When I go away I have always tended to turn ours off, that's typically anything from a couple of...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
So err Hi 👋. Names Dave and I’m a banker (yeah feel free to mock). Always felt in the wrong type of career. Looking to change and gas career looks fairly well paid, of course pending experience and skills. There are a million companies offering courses fast track etc. but if I can cope with a...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock