Search the forum,

Discuss New Career Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrjasebee

I have recently had a difference of opinion with N.C.S. based on a renewable heat installer course that i signed up for with them. A salesman called to my home and i asked several questions relating to what the course will enable me to do upon its completion; I was assured at that time that I would be able to start my own business or work for somebody else with no further qualifications or certification- questions i specifically asked. I have since descovered that the qualifications offered by this course are not sufficient to start my own business but they are argueing that I could start my own business as a 'domestic plumber' this seems to me to be a bit deceptive and i have several other instances of misleading information and am deeply suspiscious of the whole organisation and the qualifications they are offering and the way they are marketing them. Could anybody in this forum shed any further light on them or the courses they offer- I would be very grateful for any feedback. best regards jason bennett

Type into search engine an see the wrath that explodes onto your screen!!!!

The course is called Renewable Heat Installer. It is suposed to cover all aspects of installing ground and air source heat pumps and solar heating panels and underfloor heating etc. I have tried to check them (N.C.S.)out on line but haven't had much luck.

I just had a guy round yesterday, was thinking of doing something similar myself. Not sure I want to dole out £9k if it doesn't actually get me anywhere. But I was made redundant last week so don't have a lot of choices. Was assured I would be fully qualified at the end of the course.

Do yourself a favour and look into the so called renewables market. It is a bit of a closed market for small independents and the big players will take experienced guys before someone who has done a course with no experience. The gov have also killed it in its infancy (last monday).
Look for MCS, RHI, etc.

Good luck and spend your money wisely.
Also, don't listen to snake oil salesmen :wink:

Thanks I'll do that. I think these types of courses are raising serious issues around the whole industry. It seems unfortunate that people with a genuine interest in something have so many hurdles placed in the way especially when they are put there by the very people you are paying to help you. After several months of excruciating negotiations with NCS I feel I have more perspective on the whole thing - It seems to boil down to assume you're being screwed at every juncture and your expectations are not unrealistic- its a battle and that's before you have so much glanced at a textbook. One thing I have learned is that you have to define your limits with them and basically tell them what is and isn't the 'done thing' assume nothing! thanks for your input -much appreciated.

I see this as just another fast track course to no where.
NCS means only one thing to me Not to current Standards.

I must admit to knowing nothing about this particular company but be very careful.

Just fyi, I could set my self up a a "domestic plumber" tomorrow with no formal qualifications.

Last edited:
I just had a guy round yesterday, was thinking of doing something similar myself. Not sure I want to dole out £9k if it doesn't actually get me anywhere. But I was made redundant last week so don't have a lot of choices. Was assured I would be fully qualified at the end of the course.

9K! what for?

it's a recession fuzzy, the "training providers" are putting their prices up. gone are the days you could get "fully qualified" for only £4000.

it's a recession fuzzy, the "training providers" are putting their prices up. gone are the days you could get "fully qualified" for only £4000.

lol, seems like they are making profit from vulnerable people

9K! what for?

It was the Renewable Heat Installer course Mrjasebee listed at the top of the thread. To be fair the actual price is £8,795...

What rang alarm bells for me was when he mentioned the Renewable Heat Incentive, and I said that it wasn't available to domestic installers yet, it was for business at the moment. He said no it was available to all. That isn't right is it, the RHI is not yet available to domestic premises but may become available in 2012?

And the prices do seem to have gone up a lot in the last year or two.

I would advise anyone to contact their local technical college before going on one of these courses. You may find the local college has similar course for less.

I would seriously advise checking out what the qualifications actually amount to in the work place before signing a thing. I would have a long hard look at it first because frankly they'll tell you anything- I am talking from experience. best of luck to you

Hi There. I appreciate this post may be a little late for you mrjasbee. However if it helps I did the Renewable Heat Installer package offered by NCS in 2009 and 2010. I found the course very good, informative and well delivered. They had practical rigs there to practice installation and commissioning that helped with confidence in applications. There was alot of theory and some failry challenging BPEC / Solar Trade Association exams, but the trainers were very knowledegable and helpful. Like all college or training situations you can't beat real life experience out in the big wide world, but everyone has to start somewhere and if an apprenticeship is not open to you the NCS course is a good base to start your new vocation. It certainly helped me gain the knowledge and confidence to build my business. Yes there are always areas for development and one should not just bounce straight into a renewables installer without getting some on the job experience in plumbing first, but like anything in life it has to be worked at. I got involved with other plumbers and trades to get some experience and was not afraid to ask when I didn't know something. The best thing I did to boost my confidence and experience in Renewables work was do some routine servicing on systems.
Always do your research before parting with your hard earned cash, but personally the NCS worked for me. I think there are some 1,000 or so students a year that go through the NCS for plumbing so I guess they must be doing something right. Obviously it won't suit everyone, but if you get chance arrange to visit one of the centres and see what really goes on. Hope that helps buddy.

I have recently had a difference of opinion with N.C.S. based on a renewable heat installer course that i signed up for with them. A salesman called to my home and i asked several questions relating to what the course will enable me to do upon its completion; I was assured at that time that I would be able to start my own business or work for somebody else with no further qualifications or certification- questions i specifically asked. I have since descovered that the qualifications offered by this course are not sufficient to start my own business but they are argueing that I could start my own business as a 'domestic plumber' this seems to me to be a bit deceptive and i have several other instances of misleading information and am deeply suspiscious of the whole organisation and the qualifications they are offering and the way they are marketing them. Could anybody in this forum shed any further light on them or the courses they offer- I would be very grateful for any feedback. best regards jason bennett

if your instinct tells you to walk away then why are you still here? a sales person will sell you what THEY want you to buy NOT what is best for you
DOH just realised i might have added to a spam attack by someone bigging up a "genuine" course

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I am now following my instincts and walking away, but I do appreciate the advice. And to anyone with a genuinely good experience of NCS I wish you the very best of luck, but that just wasn't my experience. Thanks to all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Career Skills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock