Search the forum,

Discuss New Career Skills - Feedback in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello lads,i done a new career skills course,paid £3500,and felt I didn't get what I expected.
so now doing a proper college course.just out of interest are you quallified up to nvq3 or you have got your nvq3 paperwork

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Course Feedback Wanted

What is the name of the centre and location? Sorry to hear you were ripped off mate..... A story I hear far to often unfortunately..... :(

Re: Course Feedback Wanted

i done my course with new career skills,the training was ok,but iwas told i would be nvq2 qualified.the qualification i ended up with was worthless as no one reconised it,they said i pay an extra £1500 and get my 6129 then pay extra again to get my nvq2,the thing is when i first signed up none of this was mentioned and not only that they never even did the 6129 training when i signed up so how could i ever become qualified in the first place?

Its always a dissapointing story to hear of things like this.

Keep us informed of your progress at your new training centre :)

update.i'm doing a part time evening course at local college(in bristol)to gain my 6129 then go on to my nvq2.so far so good just love learing and can wait to get there,just learn a whole lot more at college and having a tutor a all times to answer any questions.its costing a £1000 less than the new career course just wished i took this route in the first place.

james

Thats great news James - stay ambitious and motivated and you will get there. :)

Keep us posted and please feel free to answer questions on here with your new knowledge - you are going to be the most up to date in here I reckon!! lol :)

is this common for private trainers to be called rip offs by new students?

Hi fuzzy,I,ve had a look around various forums and there are an awful lot of training providers out there offering all sorts of courses-tiling,plastering,plumbing etc.Some are established and offer various genuine qualifications-ICA/C&G,some not so genuine!!
problem is, there's a lot of money to be made by setting up training schools,just look at some of the addresses-usually industrial units which I bet are just rented,knock-up a few pre-fab walls,call them training bays and offer tiling in some,plastering in another and plumbing in some more.Have about 10 student per course-all paying about 500 a week,soon adds up and all this for only teaching the basics in some cases,better than having to go out and having too build up a client base in order to get any business,if you want to be self employed.
Just an opinion.
oldplumbers.

I am trying to gauge public opinion about private trainers and also if the impressin is generally poor, is it because they are all bad or most, half, or a few?
Are there any who are genuinne? Thats to say, are they there to improve standards of training and to provide local business with skilled people?

I dont know if they provide a better solution to training new skills than colleges because they have less restrictions or whether they are just after making money and providing a good enought to get through course

I think all these fast track centres are interested in is the steady procession of people coming through their doors paying the £5-6K.
Sure they get you to a point where you get the 6129 etc but that is all they are after, they don't really care if you aren't brilliant at it. They know what standard is required to get to C&G standard and that's all they are bothered about.

Plumbing at the moment is not as regulated as others so you don't have to be at a set standard, sure you get assessed but I don't think they are that strict.
I've just completed my course and am hoping that what I have got will get me through a door that wouldn't have opened had I not invested the money in myself.
I've paid my money and I'm taking a chance, like all of us that haven't got a job lined up when we start the course.

Sure I could go self employed but 9 weeks of training has not given me much practical knowledge - I've only plumbed 2 bathrooms and 2 sets of radiators and a few more things in simulated situations. They don't get you to fix toilets, taps, install showers etc because C&G don't ask you too. I'm sure that this isn't just at the centre I went too and I guess you wouldn't do it at college- though I'd be happy to be proved wrong!
This is where the centres fall down on training plumbers, they are not bothered what else you can do, so long as the basic minimum is covered.

You hear that the govt is looking at regulating plumbing like other trades and hope that having worked towards the NVQ I will be ok, but they may not! I've taken the risk that if it does happened then I will be better placed then some.

These courses know there is a shortgage of places at colleges, it's all about supply/demand - there seems to be more of a move towards fast track electrics now and gas, so has the plumbing market become saturated in places - you never know.

You have to do your research, know what qualifications get you what, don't trust the salesman they will tell you what you want to hear. I joined 3 courses and then cancelled within a week of signing up because I wasn't happy at what they actually offered.

Happy researching!!

C&G craft and advanced craft H&V, worked on commercial plumbing systems since 1989 and then into dom, later got my plumb NVQ on site evidence. did my acops in 1995, acs in 2002 then again last year

hi guys,sorry not been around for a while,just a little update really getting on really well at college have done 5 exams now these are the new online ones,also done ct9 practical which is a basin and wc done to c+g measurements,also practical lead which i thought was brill,also done guttering and just started steel.none of this you get taught on fast track courses,not just the practical side of things but also alot of theory.
also aword of warning there are a severe lack of plumbing jobs at the mo more so for site work(easier to start plumbing on site) so depending on course and qualification its very hard to get into plumbing at the mo

cheers jimmy

hello lads,i done a new career skills course,paid £3500,and was ripped off.
so now doing a proper college course.just out of interest are you quallified up to nvq3 or you have got your nvq3 paperwork

Hi Jimmy.

I'm presently half way through my training with New Career Skills and I have to disagree with you. The course they intially offer is an OCN Domestic Plumbing qualification which is acredited and follows the same sylabus as 6129 bar lead work. What they do is then offer people the opportunity to do upgrade to C&G 6128 which is a heating and ventialting tech cert and the BPEC Water Regs (although this is already completed as part of the 4 week course).
In terms of prices if you go all out and get the C&G then in terms of price what you are paying is pretty much par for par with other training providers around the country. I certainly think it's not worth doing the Domestic Plumbing cert on it's own as that is pretty expensive and most employers are interested in C&G.
When I was last at the training centre I asked re:6129 as I was somewhat confused as I am taking 6128 but through doing their acredited Domestic Plumbing cert then it's still all recognised when it comes to working towards NVQ2/3 etc.
When you finsish with New Career skills and have achieved your qualifications then they are able to put you in contact with employers in your area. I hope it works out for you whichever path you take and it's sad to hear that you didn't enjoy the experience.

hi there, only just signed up. I'm after goin on a plumbing course just wondeered if anyone new of any decent ones about. Dont want a micky mouse 1 thats all. I know they can be expensive so want to make sure i get recognised qualifications to be able to go out on site and the job. Ash

Hi Jimmy.

I'm presently half way through my training with New Career Skills and I have to disagree with you. The course they intially offer is an OCN Domestic Plumbing qualification which is acredited and follows the same sylabus as 6129 bar lead work. What they do is then offer people the opportunity to do upgrade to C&G 6128 which is a heating and ventialting tech cert and the BPEC Water Regs (although this is already completed as part of the 4 week course).
In terms of prices if you go all out and get the C&G then in terms of price what you are paying is pretty much par for par with other training providers around the country. I certainly think it's not worth doing the Domestic Plumbing cert on it's own as that is pretty expensive and most employers are interested in C&G.
When I was last at the training centre I asked re:6129 as I was somewhat confused as I am taking 6128 but through doing their acredited Domestic Plumbing cert then it's still all recognised when it comes to working towards NVQ2/3 etc.
When you finsish with New Career skills and have achieved your qualifications then they are able to put you in contact with employers in your area. I hope it works out for you whichever path you take and it's sad to hear that you didn't enjoy the experience.

It is still a rip off if they don't make it clear what you will get for your money. They should mention the total cost for the 6129 from the begining

hello lads,i done a new career skills course,paid £3500,and was ripped off.

Hello, I also have been a victim of New Career Skills. I paid £1,200 and did not recieve what was agreed on the contract. I have asked (quite reasonably) for a refund which I have been refused. I am furious about this as I imagine you are also. You and I are not the only people who have been ripped off by them and I am determind WE will all get our money back.

May I ask, how were you ripped off?

It seems there are enough of us to kick up a fuss which NCS do not want. There are many options we have, including taking them to court, or simply writting to Watchdog and teling them about this scam.

Please get back to me, what they have done is illegal, and they don't have a leg to stand on.

Alex

The course used to offer an OCN qualification (open college network) but not anymore thankgod, now its c&g level 2 and water regs, unvented heating system, part p defined scope. All this for £5000, good value but it does not guarentee a job at the end of the course, they have a career advisor, but all he really does is show you how to creste a cv and gives you advice on going self employed which is crazy after only five practical weeks training. I mean an apprentice plumber will do 4 years minimum before going down that road.

The instructor ratio is about 5 to 1 and they were very good but beware of the ever so friendly salesman who will come round to your house, take notes, have another family member or business savy friend with you and remember you dont have to sign up there and then. I had the guy back for a second time before I signed up. You get free tools on the course (no power tools) some are very good some are cheap n nasty!

Some courses will offer more for less, inc accomodation for the practical weeks (with ncs expect to add £1500 to your £5000 bill). With ncs you can only usually do 1 week at a time, took me a year to do the course but it is possible to do it faster. With other companys you can do the whole thing back to back in about 7 weeks, try and find the companys that GUARENTEE you a placement with a firm at the end of the course!

Hello all, I am one year into my 6129 at wirral met college liverpool.
The cost was zero as i qualified for funding. I can highly recommend
the quality of tuition i am receiving them. Im so glad i never took up
one of them (plumber in six weeks) courses and paid £££££££
I can only say that anyone thinking of going on fast track try
a local college first. Theres so much to take in so i dont know how you
can expect to know it all so soon.

Hi all !! Well I have been looking at doing the course to but which one I dont know as there are so many different feed backs about them all. I have done a course in South Africa but noone seems to be able to give mr any honest advice about what I have to do. The course that I have done in SA is the same as 6129 ( Full domestic plumbing from baths to waste pipes).

So is there anyone out there that can tell me what I have to do to try and get into the plumbing trade in the UK. I have apporoched the various training centres but they seem to just want to take my money and that I will not do until I know where I stand with my current course.

Any honest advice would be great.
Thanks all have a great day.

yes retrain plumbing is awash with new plumbers there is no shortage anymore

to all of you seeking to become plumbers ,you will need more than money.there are very few jobs about at the moment for fully qualified plumbers with lots of experience.you can not train a plumber in 6 weaks(reactfast)or even 25 weaks as most training firms tell you cg1 cg2 you are on the bottom rung of the ladder.when you have finished the course you will have trouble getting a job because most plumbing companies know you can not undertake vast areas of plumbing work .so to save their own reputations they will not employ you.if you dont believe this look at the few adverts you see for plumbers,they all ask for 4 to 5 years post training experience.it takes years to become a fully competent plumber and you never stop learning.some of these traing places have a 100% pass rate,and you get cg1 cg2 bpec unvented .last year i had to put right an unvented cylinder job installed by a fast track plumber with a bpec unvented cert every possible mistake you could make he had ,most dangerous unvented instalation i had ever seen, and this was not the only one i had to deal with over the last year.if you are going to do these courses and we will need more plumbers when this reccesion is over(but proberly not 30000)try to find out from plumbing firms if they will be prepaired to employ you after your course.

Hello, I also have been a victim of New Career Skills. I paid £1,200 and did not recieve what was agreed on the contract. I have asked (quite reasonably) for a refund which I have been refused. I am furious about this as I imagine you are also. You and I are not the only people who have been ripped off by them and I am determind WE will all get our money back.

May I ask, how were you ripped off?

It seems there are enough of us to kick up a fuss which NCS do not want. There are many options we have, including taking them to court, or simply writting to Watchdog and teling them about this scam.

Please get back to me, what they have done is illegal, and they don't have a leg to stand on.

Alex

I'm in the same boat - I've paid £1200 so far but left the course in April as I was very disappointed with the tutor's attitude - he didnt like me asking so many questions on my week 2 practical and then started to personally insult me - this was after nearly leaving the course on the week 1 practicalbut I was talked into staying.

I'm dealing with consumer direct at the moment as NCS will not accept my reasons for leaving the course even though I have signed the early release document.

I personally would not recomend NCS to ANYONE

we in the plumbing industry have got to get together and stop this,we need a regulated training system to provide good quality training over a reasenable time frame.but every where you go including this forum you see adverts saying we can train you to be a plumber in a few weeks .you can not train a plumber in four weeks ,six weeks,or twenty five weeks,if you are told this and that over lie[ there are 30,000 plumbing jobs going begging] back away ! or you may very well lose you money.ask these training providers to prove how easy it will be for you to get a job .

can any one tell me if Train4 Trade is any good i have been reading alot of posts about dodgy courses but not from this company could any one refresh me on this do igo on this course or should i go to college to do plumbing.:confused:

i paid £ 4500 cash in hand to new career skills Southampton plus £1000 travel accommodation and other expenses and finished the course in 4 months..i was promised help to find work and everything. after i finished i never heard from them again. They didn't even send me water regulation certificate..i e-mailed them 20 times to ask for it or for help to find work the same story every time; we will get back to you...the biggest rip off i ever had in my life. don't bother with this sort of courses ;a total rip off...i even feel ashamed to ask for help to sue them or something ..a man in my age to pay to someone £4500 is unforgivable...

Dear dritan, i have to say i'm a little dissapointed by what you have written. I am currently seeking a career change and plumbing really appeals to me. I sat down and started searching online for information and obviously came across NCS, nievely applied for an info pack and was immediately contacted by phone and an interview arranged. Seemed pretty desperate to get me signed up. My question is, are you still working as a plumber and what would your advice be to a newcomer.

ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!! Good morning to all. This is my first post and would really appreciate some advice from the people who know. I am currently considering a career change and plumbing is something that really appeals to me. I'm a little ashamed to say that I have been sucked into believing that there is a shortage of professional plumbers. I am 44yo have always worked in a physically demanding job and consider my self not workshy. I have been approached by NCS and have an interview in a couple of weeks, are they a wise choice? Can anyone advise on which direction to take to gain qualifications and is the market big enough for new plumbers(i live in east sussex close to tunbridge wells).

Hi, If you are thinking of going with New Career Skills then I advise you to avoid them like the plague! they are awful, the company is run by a bunch of incompetant crooks and they send out slimey salespeople to sign you up on the night because they are desperate for the business. Don't listen to their hype, they are just out to get your money and they want £6500 for a basic plumbing or electrical course. They even treat their own staff very badly!. There are plenty of more sensible options if you want to be a Plumber or Electrician so make sure you explore other options first. Avoid New Career Skills!.............you have been warned!

Agree with Entropy. They send salespeople round and they are in your house for a long time. My husband was convinced that this was what he wanted to do and was keen to sign up. However, after the first practical week he realised it really wasn't for him and we had to decide whether to continue spending money on weeks away at these courses (you need around £200 per week once you factor in petrol, B&B, food) or to call it quits. He has not had one phone call to see what is going on or to ask if he is having difficulties. He rang them after a few months to see what we could do about payments and this is the kicker to beware of. When you sign up they talk of no refunds if you pull out. Fair enough. What you need to be aware of is that you enter into a credit agreement with them so you basically have 0%APR credit with them, but credit nonetheless. We paid £3000 up front and £3000 on 'credit' which is just a monthly payment. You cannot stop paying this without mucking up your credit. It's not like just stopping a STO. We missed one payment and got a letter threatening us with legal action on the basis that we were reneging on a credit agreement, blah blah blah. We have paid £6000 for bag of shoddy tools and a book. Unless you really know this is something you want to do and have spare money and a lot of spare time for the weeks away do not do this course!! It is a business first and foremost to NCS and once they have your money, they don't care. The people who come to your house are SALESMEN, not plumbing or career experts, and frankly want to see the colour of your money.

I ve got a guy with me who done a 7 day plumbing course and now doing the gas. He is under Able skills. The problem with these training centres is they make it sound so easy to be a plumber/gas engineer. The problem my trainee has is when he needs to earn a wage to pay for his family..... The bubble will burst.

I have just read about New Career Skills going into administration. I don't know how the Directors of these companies sleep at night. The same thing happened to another training company by the name of BTSC training about 18 mths ago and many trainees lost there savings. I was recommended a company by the name of Access Training UK who have centres throughout the country. They advised students on how to get the money back they had paid for there training and more importantly assisted many people on the completion of there training. Definitely worth a call you have nothing to loose.

Hello all, I am one year into my 6129 at wirral met college liverpool.
The cost was zero as i qualified for funding. I can highly recommend
the quality of tuition i am receiving them. Im so glad i never took up
one of them (plumber in six weeks) courses and paid £££££££
I can only say that anyone thinking of going on fast track try
a local college first. Theres so much to take in so i dont know how you
can expect to know it all so soon.
I did mine at college and was taught properly and not one of them ****e 6 week courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Career Skills - Feedback in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock