Currently reading:
New build with underfloor.

Discuss New build with underfloor. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TBServices

So following on from my previous thread, I went to see the shell of this new house and meet the owner. As I'm limited in experience of both new builds and underfloor heating, I would like your advice.

It's a 4 bed dormer bungalow, with 4 bathrooms.

The bloke has had 2 conduits fitted through the house to his utility room, ready for a GSHP, but has decided against it for the time being due to initial outlay costs. His options are oil or LPG for boiler, and he's leaning towards oil. For obvious reasons I would prefer it to be LPG, but I can't push him. Any advice on how I could potentially persuade him? What would you guys choose in your own homes?

So for the heating he wants underfloor heating throughout, up and down, towel rails in bathrooms and a large cylinder. So 4 zones. The bottom floor will have 100mm kingspan, underfloor pipework then screed. What is the best type of screed to use?

As for the upper floors, which method is best for the laying of UFH? Considering its a new build there should really be no limitations. The spec says rock wool insulation (which I've told him is no good and should be kingspan) and the joists are to be 600mm apart.

The other issue with the UFH is he wants to extend the house pretty much as soon as it's finished (planning issues on green belt) to add a large kitchen. The only ways around this I can see, are to either run a channel/conduit all the way through the house that supplies can be threaded through later, or put a manifold for this in the upstairs dormer void, and run the pipes down the wall into the new kitchen when it's built. Is that possible?

What type of underfloor heating and controls would you guys recommend? Manager at plumb said if I want decent service, tech advice and a fast turnaround, he'd go with speedfit.

Other thing I can't make my mind up about is how to supply the down stairs bathrooms. Considering the UFH will take up a lot of room, I was thinking about running all supply pipework round the void in the dormer and dropping down behind the plasterboard. Does this seem more feasible than running it all concrete and taking up UFH space?

Was also considering the use of manifold systems to isolate individual supplies. Undecided about the whole copper/plastic argument. If I did use manifolds there could potentially be a lot of pipe runs with limited fittings required. Could also easily supply basins with 10mm pipe instead of 15 for shorter draw off times and less water usage.

As for drainage, there's a drain in every bathroom directly under the toilet location, sticking through the concrete. Now if I remember correctly from my college days, waste connections should be 200mm below toilet connections. With kingspan and screed I'll only achieve around 100mm if I fit a boss at the lowest possible point. Any advice on how to get round this?

I appreciate there's a lot of questions here, so thanks for reading if you get all the way through it, and thanks in advance for your help.

Loads to consider here mate, for getting pipes down into the W/C consider using the soil boxing if there is one?
ive always used Uponor and found them expensive but very good, recently used the Polyplumb U/F system and it's just normal barrier pipe with a manifold.

If its for future gshp use you'll need to install ufh pipework at 150 centers, Upstairs will need to be counter battoned at 40cm centers and use aluminium spreader plates at 150 pipe centers with rockwool insulation underneath make sure you stuff enough insulation underneath the plates to make sure they make contact with the chipboard flooring uponor will be too expensive I would use Hetta same quality made in Sweden less than half uponor prices

The spreaders are utter cack. Ting all day long. 100mm celotex with light sand and cement biscuit between them. Supply all the towel rails on an s plan . Not off ufh - won't be any good at 42c . I use Rehau, Myson or soeedfit.

Best screed by far is gavlon by Lafarge. You need to pay a company to lay it.

Minimum of 100mm under slab and 50mm around edges ( most of this is covered by Dot and dab and the last bit is covered by the gap between gripper rod and wall. If tile or wood doesn't matter.

That's what I was thinking. Don't like the look of spreaders.

Minimum what there Ermi?

On ground floor, under the poly before pipes fitted. Celotex cannot come in contact with gravlon

Ting all day long wtf does that mean? Sand and cement biscuit upstairs what are you talking about, nothing wrong with spreader plates use them all the time on upstairs joists

Ah right, doubt it will be me laying the insulation tbh, should just be 100mm throughout ground floor. Biscuit mix sounds good upstairs

Was thinking if he goes for LPG I'll fit a vogue so there can be independant temp control of cylinder & towel rads, and underfloor.

The spreaders are utter cack. Ting all day long. 100mm celotex with light sand and cement biscuit between them. Supply all the towel rails on an s plan . Not off ufh - won't be any good at 42c . I use Rehau, Myson or soeedfit.

Best screed by far is gavlon by Lafarge. You need to pay a company to lay it.

Minimum of 100mm under slab and 50mm around edges ( most of this is covered by Dot and dab and the last bit is covered by the gap between gripper rod and wall. If tile or wood doesn't matter.

I like rehau myself and well priced

As ermi has said towel rails on there own circuit and as for screed don't know the gavlon
Over here I like rtu liquid screed faster reaction time but quick to cool so house needs to be very well insulated

If you use rehau you can lay pipes up to new extension is going and then join them with there fittings

Personally I'd go for LPG than oil simple because more scope to put a smaller wall hung boiler than a heavy oil boilers saves oil being stolen too
Quicker reaction times and not as smelly
Controls dependent on budget but personally I love heatmiser stuff

The new JG Aura controls are the same as heatmiser, so I'll probably go with that.

As for jointing the underfloor pipes, is that advisable?

I've never installed UFH upstairs before, can it run off the manifold downstairs or does it need its own?

I was pretty much set on Oil until you just piped up lol. Guy seems keener on Oil and I really don't want to talk him out of it if he's going to regret it. At least if we go with Oil I can't really be held responsible for it.

Oil will be grand mate
Joining the rehau is ok if you try it you will see why excellent fittings
No upstairs needs it's own manifold and mixing valve and pump

Oil will be grand mate
Joining the rehau is ok if you try it you will see why excellent fittings
No upstairs needs it's own manifold and mixing valve and pump

Thought as much, there's room for it in the roof space.

I don't know how I would get my hands on the Rehau stuff, was planning to just use JG tbh.

I can give you the Irish reps details
He would be able to give you a rep local to yourself I'd say

If ermi is near you he may be able to give you a name

JG stuff is ok. Just google Them. Tech will do design and rep will be on you like a rash

JG seems like the easier option since I can just order it from the merchants. It will all be designed for me too etc.

Obviously I do have the problem of this extension though.

anyone ever used this Wunda stuff thats advertised in the GSR mag all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New build with underfloor. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock