Search the forum,

Discuss New Build - No Gas - Best Options in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

We are building a new 2 bed bungalow and looking at Heating / Hot water options. Although Gas is available we are keen to not have it connected but we will be having a large solar system installed as we have a long South facing roof.

Our house that we are moving from has Air con installed in the bedrooms and also a loft conversion which we absolutely love and use it for cooling and heating in the loft and cooling in the bedrooms in the summer.

My go to option in the bungalow is to have a multi room air con system installed but i'm wondering what options there are, i.e. Heat Pumps. electric combi boiler? The issue being with the Air con is how do we heat the smaller areas, i.e. Entrance Hall, Bathroom and En-Suite and what do we do about Hot Water? An option would be ducted Air con rather than room units but thats not overly efficient from what i gather.

I have looked at Air Source Heat pumps but we are very keen on cooling in the summer after having Air Con in the house.

We also have an un-vented water tank in the house so the showers are amazing, keen to retain something like that if possible.

Personally i'm thinking Air Con and Electric unvented water tank but there is still the issue of heating the less used areas. Electric cost wouldn't be a massive issue due to the Solar, not sure how big it will be just yet but as a min will be 7 Kw along with some battery storage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

gas is far cheaper then electric, how much can you store?/produce? air con is not cheap to run.

The roof where the Solar is going is 13 mrs long with a pitch of 3.6 mtrs so i can actually fit in a lot of solar, storage wise we'll start off with around 7 Kw and build on that over time if needed.

The Aircon isn't that expensive to run, everybody presumes it is but for December when we used it alot in our loft in the house we only used 1Kw more for the month than compared to a Dec when we didn't have it.

Re room for a un-vented cyclinder, yes we will have room for a small cupboard to fit that in no problem.

Finally re Gas being cheaper. I 100% agree but the goal is to move away from Gas, this is going to be our forever home so may as well make plans to get it right now that update in 10 year time.

Interesting no one has recommended Heat Pumps... from what i have read they are not worth it

Solar isn’t any good when the sun isn’t out
Move on mate, if you dont have anything productive to say them don't waste your time replying. I already run solar asnd its not that often you dont get any power, just just size the system accordingly.

ASHP's not only provide warm /hot water.
Some can also do chilled water.

Have done in the past:
ASHP - provide warm water for UFH
Chilled water for fan coil units in summer.
Also domestic hot water via unvented cylinder.
In summer you need domestic hot water, this is then done completely via an electric element.

Some brands have these setups as a 'turn key' installation.
Follow the instructions, piping / wiring diagrams and although complex during installation the systems work well.

Get the manufacturers to design a system for you and find someone who can install it for you.

We have installed a few Daikin Altherma to these requirements.

Move on mate, if you dont have anything productive to say them don't waste your time replying. I already run solar asnd its not that often you dont get any power, just just size the system accordingly.

Hum -

So if you know everything how do you expect pv to hear your house in the winter months. You won’t is the reality

On a dull day a 7 kWh system may only produce 2 kWh which won’t even cover your back ground usage

Get a hybrid air source heat pump.

Will do wet heating via underfloor.
Air con via standard indoor air con units.
Hot water generation (in summer it will use the air con heat by product to heat the hot water).

Interesting no one has recommended Heat Pumps... from what i have read they are not worth it
They have been around a very long time and have not taken off of their own accord. That speaks volumes in my opinion.
They are expensive to run compared to gas, noisy and don't produce the full amount of heat required to provide hot water.

Reply to New Build - No Gas - Best Options in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock