Search the forum,

Discuss New build house smell in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We have just heard through the grapevine that the builder intends to 'vent' the pump station tank. Do you think that is the problem?
It's possible that an open vent will help. Building regs say that a foul drainage system should have an open vent to atmosphere (as in soil stack) somewhere to relieve positive pressure.

AAV's only deal with allowing air into the system to avoid water in traps being sucked out. They don't help in the event of a higher pressure in the drain system (possibly created by the pumping station) that could push foul air through a shallow trap.

Not really what they are designed for but would solve your problem short term if this is getting you down ?? Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210717-183150.png
    Screenshot_20210717-183150.png
    794.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210717-183208.png
    Screenshot_20210717-183208.png
    869.7 KB · Views: 10
What about employing a 3rd party plumber or new build snagging company to investigate.

I wouldn't think so don't I wouldn't mention it to them see if it cures your problem end of the day it's your property .

I think it’s quite common to employ someone who creates a snagging list for new builds.
I’m sure they can advise on how to get the builder to act in a reasonable timeframe.

Most new builds have 18 months - 24 months my son has a brand new property the shower tray is leaking been six months butwillget sorted eventually I suppose

I think it’s quite common to employ someone who creates a snagging list for new builds.
I’m sure they can advise on how to get the builder to act in a reasonable timeframe.
We are doing a snagging list ourselves but it seems impossible to find the reason for the awful intermittent smell. The builder is far too busy and ignores us..and our next door neighbour who has same problem.

If all three houses suffer from the same problem it seems likely it'll relate to the pumping station. Flush some septic tank treatment down the toilet (preferably when nearer empty than full) and see if it delays the stink some.

If all three houses suffer from the same problem it seems likely it'll relate to the pumping station. Flush some septic tank treatment down the toilet (preferably when nearer empty than full) and see if it delays the stink some.
Thank you for your reply. All 3 houses have same problem to a degree but we are worse effected. We are the highest property. The pumping station pumps to main drain so should I still put septic tank treatment down? Should the 'holding' tank be ventilated? Had a look and there is no ventilation at all. A tank in the ground and next to it a green metal box which has a hole in the top but nothing attached to the hole, looked into the hole and there is no vent. I really appreciate your knowledge and help, thanks.

OK, good idea. You say its a short term fix, does that mean they cant stay on and do I need one for each sink/bath/mashing machine/etc?
They can stay but it far better to have em fitted from the start put one one the outlet from kitchen sink waste to start with if you're DIY handy there nothing to difficult , I'm just saying try it the easiest way which will be on the outlet pipe to the drain

Has any of the 3 properties got a vent pipe properly terminated (ie 800mm above any opening window) on it ?
Thanks for reply. No, none of us have an external vent of any sort. We all just have AAV's sited behind the family bath panel. The plumber originally changed ours thinking it must be faulty but it made no difference to the smell. We did think it would have been a coincidence that all three had faulty AAV's.

That's main cause of problem what sort of a idiot would do that?
Against building regs as well at least one property has to have drains vented.
Probably saved £100 per dwelling and caused endless problems!
Thank you! We have been trying to get info on the drainage but its impossible from the builder. We are also trying to get info from the Agent who on behalf of the building control at the council did (?) the final checks. So far this hasn't happened. We dont know about these things but always felt there should be a vent somewhere. Should this be on the holding tank at the pump station to the main drain. We have never lived in a house without an outside soil stack. Are AAV's not enough?

AAV'S are exactly what they say air admittance valves .
Drains need venting to clear any dangerous buildups of gasses if nothing else.
Methane,carbon monoxide , hydrogen sulphide are just some of possible nasties.
I've worked on pumped sewage systems each manufacturer has it's own instructions.
I still do a certain amount of new build so know somebody has issued a final certificate .Private building inspector seem to be favoured route of many small developers.

Experienced this for 4 years in a house that was a self build. Finnaly plucked up the courage to investigate fearing the worse and began dismantlement boxed-in pipes. There was an internal stack with an external vent. Replaced with durgo..smell fixed. Must have been a self certifying plumber as building control would never have allowed it

I've worked on pumped sewage systems each manufacturer has it's own instructions.
I still do a certain amount of new build so know somebody has issued a final certificate .Private building inspector seem to be favoured route of many small developers.
hydrogen sulphide gas onto copper cold inside a warm underfloor area = blacked pipes...DHW pipes were uneffected.

That all sounds like it could be our answer, thank you so much. So do you think a vent on the tank or a vent on the house is the best answer?

I've been involved with building drainage for over 50 years (also where my higher qualifications are) the drains should be vented at there highest point . A combined soil and vent pipe is perfectly acceptable.
As this problem affects all the properties I would suggest you get together to put pressure on builder to get it sorted.

I've been involved with building drainage for over 50 years (also where my higher qualifications are) the drains should be vented at there highest point . A combined soil and vent pipe is perfectly acceptable.
As this problem affects all the properties I would suggest you get together to put pressure on builder to get it sorted.
Thanks for your input. We will get together with our neighbours. We are the highest property so I am assuming thats why we have the most smell.

We dont know about these things but always felt there should be a vent somewhere. Should this be on the holding tank at the pump station to the main drain. We have never lived in a house without an outside soil stack. Are AAV's not enough?
Back in the old days, each and every house had a soil and vent pipe open to atmosphere. The vast majority of these systems are still giving good service and need no attention as there . I can, however, see a slight disadvantage in having such a system in that each house will have an inside pipe that becomes an outside pipe with associated thermal bridging, whether the stack runs externally or whether it runs internally and up through the roof.

Nowadays, it is common to have fewer open vents than houses. Those houses that do not have an open vent will have a 'durgo' or AAV at the top of the soil and vent pipe. This works until the valve fails and a smell comes up through the faulty valve. Provided there is easy access to replace the valve, and people don't do idiotic things such as box the valve in where you cannot see it, this is not a problem. But the system relies on the fact that at least one house (or more if required at design stage) has an open vent, and some people just don't understand this.

Part of the problem is the (probably unavoidable) grey area between what work really needs a dedicated plumber and what does not. Obviously a general builder could construct a perfectly functional drainage system, but this relies on a fit for purpose building control system, which the UK currently lacks. As others have noted, private building control inspections often lack substance.

Back in the old days, each and every house had a soil and vent pipe open to atmosphere. The vast majority of these systems are still giving good service and need no attention as there . I can, however, see a slight disadvantage in having such a system in that each house will have an inside pipe that becomes an outside pipe with associated thermal bridging, whether the stack runs externally or whether it runs internally and up through the roof.

Nowadays, it is common to have fewer open vents than houses. Those houses that do not have an open vent will have a 'durgo' or AAV at the top of the soil and vent pipe. This works until the valve fails and a smell comes up through the faulty valve. Provided there is easy access to replace the valve, and people don't do idiotic things such as box the valve in where you cannot see it, this is not a problem. But the system relies on the fact that at least one house (or more if required at design stage) has an open vent, and some people just don't understand this.

Part of the problem is the (probably unavoidable) grey area between what work really needs a dedicated plumber and what does not. Obviously a general builder could construct a perfectly functional drainage system, but this relies on a fit for purpose building control system, which the UK currently lacks. As others have noted, private building control inspections often lack substance.
I am learning everyday about plumbing! far more than I ever thought I would need to know. I am grateful for all the interest and helpful replies. So far the opinion is that we need a vent, we are amazed that the builder, drainage people and building control have let this through. The builder is local and well respected, having build lots of properties in this village, so you would think this would have been avoided.
The problem lies now with getting him to correct this, meanwhile we live with the rotten smell.

I am learning everyday about plumbing! far more than I ever thought I would need to know. I am grateful for all the interest and helpful replies. So far the opinion is that we need a vent, we are amazed that the builder, drainage people and building control have let this through. The builder is local and well respected, having build lots of properties in this village, so you would think this would have been avoided.
The problem lies now with getting him to correct this, meanwhile we live with the rotten smell.
Where is the top of your soil pipe, I'm wondering?

No need if you do as I recommended ? it will work till Mr builder he's his act together

Unfortunately very few builders really understand drainage both below and above ground. Add to that plumbers who think aav's and anti vac traps cure poor design your in trouble!
I suspect what's happening in your case is as pump kicks in it causes enough of a vacuum to take seal out of trap before the aav can open.

current building control is the perfect example of feudalism in action in the 21st. The clergy (Capita plc) collect bribes (payments that are demanded each year) from the vassals (plumbers) so the Royal ministers (council) can have a recuring income from the peasants (you and I) by inflicting laws in exchange for taxes (forced payments) for everyday living)

Unfortunately very few builders really understand drainage both below and above ground. Add to that plumbers who think aav's and anti vac traps cure poor design your in trouble!
I suspect what's happening in your case is as pump kicks in it causes enough of a vacuum to take seal out of trap before the aav can open.
So am assuming that a vent on the pump would solve that? Would we still need a vent on the house too?

Check out building regulations H1 section 2.18
Also even if the aav was suitable it needs to be above wash basin hight.
Keep it simple vent pipe fitted at highest point of drains .

Last edited:
The AAV is behind the family bath. That must be the top of the vent pipe? It is lower than the sink but have been told that really is not a problem.
It needs to be above all waste outlets, visible and accessible

Attachments

• PXL_20210415_163105124.jpg
    PXL_20210415_163105124.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Reply to New build house smell in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock