Search the forum,

Discuss New Build House - Central Heating Issue in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have just moved into a new-build house and can't for the life of me get all the radiators to come on at once. There doesn't seem to be any issues with the downstairs radiators but on the 2nd floor it's random, some days one radiator comes on, another day it will be a different radiator. Then on the 3rd floor, the landing radiator works but then the 2 in the master bedroom and the ensuite one don't work. I say 'don't work' they have come on since we've been in the house. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated before the kids die of hypothermia! (Apologies for the drama but it snowed yesterday). Please don't hesitate to ask if you need any further info.

If you have just moved in you should have no need to ask questions here!
Go shake someone from the builders/developers warmly by the throat you must have contact numbers use them.

If you have just moved in you should have no need to ask questions here!
Go shake someone from the builders/developers warmly by the throat you must have contact numbers use them.
Yes and from what I've heard it takes around 2 months for them to take any action. I need my heating now

Yes, I have 2 radiators on the 2nd floor and 2 on the 3rd floor that don't come on. Don't seem to be able to remove the thermostatic valve heads - the 2 on the 3rd floor don't have them

Sorry, what I meant was, are there motorised valves? You might have room thermostats controlling them, it seems odd on a new build not to have thermostatic radiator valves (trv’s).

Silly question: The thermostats on the radiators if TRV (google images if unsure) should be removable as discussed above. If you are not sure then best get in a pro. Now my real question: is there more than one wall thermostat? E.g.one per floor. That would imply motorised valves (see above) that might be stuck (job for a pro). I'm wondering also if any rads need bleeding or might be an airlock somewhere. Are any rads only hot at the bottom i.e. top full of air.

Now I'm afraid my real comment. I don't know who the builder is, but I'm assuming one of the big ones. I would personally recommend you get in a professional surveyor for a full structural survey (including the roof) on the new house, and any garage. NHBC publish all the standards your house should be built to, but a lot to read and I guess you have a job to do.

I think it is morally wrong that new houses are sold without any 3rd party independent inspection before the cash gets handed over. BCO should have done that for you of course but that function may have been done privately in your case. Compare with motor vehicles that you would probably not buy "sold as seen"?

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur all trades)

Sounds like a dual zone with room stat on ground level and one on top floor, hence, no trv’s in master bedroom. Usually 3rd floor on its own zone and 1st and 2nd on one. Though I have worked on one particular house type for Strata homes where for some reason the downstairs stat also did both landing rads on 2nd & 3rd floors.

Reply to New Build House - Central Heating Issue in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock