Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler with filter in a dirty system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frankenstein

Lets say I have a new boiler installed into a system which hasn't been very well flushed (or worse - not flushed), but I install a good filter.

If I clean the filter often, will the filter be able to protect the boiler?

I know that flushing is important and I've described an unlikely scenario, but has anyone come across this situation?

at a minimum the installer should put a good cleaner in the system and do a hot flush, then run the new boiler with a magna cleanse for a few hours

Only if the filter manufacturer can guarantee a 100% pick up on first pass of water.
They nearly do claim that, but nearly won't mean dirt won't get into boiler, albeit hopefully very little.
Flushing a system won't get all dirt anyhow.

Lets say I have a new boiler installed into a system which hasn't been very well flushed (or worse - not flushed), but I install a good filter

Are you going to install a filter after the boiler has been fitted?

On the Flipside If the installer is offering a flush why wouldn't you do it??? Are you looking to do it yourself?? I say why risk the warranty get it done properly

On the Flipside If the installer is offering a flush why wouldn't you do it??? Are you looking to do it yourself?? I say why risk the warranty get it done properly

I'm not touching my system but I want to understand it.

I think that I need to clarify something:

I'm NOT going to install a boiler into a system which hasn't been flushed.

My scenario is hypothetical. How well would a filter protect a new boiler in a dirty, unflushed system?

Depends how dirty the system is. It's just a strange question

Depends how dirty the system is. It's just a strange question

So a filter WILL fail if the system is dirty - I assume that this is the case even if the filter is cleaned frequently.

I know its a strange question - but I want to know how good a filter is at doing its job in the worst possible situation.

Do you have all these queries with the oil filter on your car or do you accept that they work?

Nothing is perfect. Particularly on an existing system. You never know how bad the internals are completely. I'm sure 99% of the guys on here would recommend one rather than not. It will not 100% protect the boiler but it's better to have one than not

Do you have all these queries with the oil filter on your car or do you accept that they work?

On both my motorbikes and cars I change the oil filter and oil at the same time. Sometimes you can just change the oil and alternate with the filter changes (I don't do this). However I would NEVER put a new filter in any vehicle with the old oil. No I don't have the same queries regarding the oil filter on my car. I'm allowed to work on my car but I'm not allowed to work on my boiler. I need the expertise of qualified installers. I'm simply trying to ascertain how effective a boiler filter is.

Last edited by a moderator:
You!ve answered your own question.

At last - thank you!

No - I've gone away and thought about it. There's a fundamental difference...

1. With a car you NEVER clean and reuse the same filter
2. With a boiler you clean an reuse

So my question is still not answered. Can the filter for a boiler handle a dirty system if you clean the filter on a regular basis?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your question needs to be directed at the specific filter manufacturer - there are many on the market.

At last - thank you!

1. With a car you NEVER clean and reuse the same filter
2. With a boiler you clean an reuse

So my question is still not answered. Can the filter for a boiler handle a dirty system if you clean the filter on a regular basis?

Yes. Would you ever do it like that? Never is a 100 years for a variety of reasons.

You will never get someone on here to say that they work 100% of the time because you never know who might read the thread and misunderstand do something wrong and then look to blame this forum. I think the general consensus is that magnaclean and the tf1 are regularly used items. They do work differently to the filter on your car oil so perhaps do a bit of reading on them to understand what they do and how they do it.

It wont do the job that a flush will. It will protect the boiler to a certain extent but its not 100%. On a very dirty system the filter will reach the limit of what it can hold very quickly. If you are in the process of fitting a new boiler then it is the ideal time to give the system a good clean, and all boiler manufacturers require a flush a clean of the system as part of the install.

At last - thank you!

With a car you NEVER clean and reuse the same filter

Personally if I buy a second hand car I use an engine flush first before changing the oil and if it has a K&N air filter then yes you can wash out and reuse!

It wont do the job that a flush will. It will protect the boiler to a certain extent but its not 100%. On a very dirty system the filter will reach the limit of what it can hold very quickly. If you are in the process of fitting a new boiler then it is the ideal time to give the system a good clean, and all boiler manufacturers require a flush a clean of the system as part of the install.

This is probably closest to the answer which I was expecting. However if cleaned very frequently, will the filter continue to clean the system and gradually diminish the debris?

In post #9 you said you wouldn`t install a new boiler without the flush first and others have pointed out the issue with the warranty if you don`t so why are you still banging on about cleaning the filter to gradually remove debris?

In post #9 you said you wouldn`t install a new boiler without the flush first and others have pointed out the issue with the warranty if you don`t so why are you still banging on about cleaning the filter to gradually remove debris?

Hypothetical - I want to know what a filter is capable of.

It will not keep your heating system crystal clear but it helps

And you have been told. Reckon you will have new boiler installed, save money by not having the flush and clean the filter yourself every week.

I`m out.

You can only give advice, whether or not people take it is up to them. The same question has been asked and answered over and over again.

You can only give advice, whether or not people take it is up to them. The same question has been asked and answered over and over again.

I`m all for helping people but sod the roundabout!

And you have been told. Reckon you will have new boiler installed, save money by not having the flush and clean the filter yourself every week.

I`m out.

Reckon you will have new boiler installed, save money by not having the flush and clean the filter yourself every week.

No - how did you deduce this? Hypothetical means imagined or suggested but not necessarily real or true. I need experts like you to teach me. Riley has answered my question. I'm very sorry for any offence.

I know what Hypothetical means thank you very much and glad you have achieved your goal after 31 posts !!!!!!!

Reckon you will have new boiler installed, save money by not having the flush and clean the filter yourself every week.

No - how did you deduce this? Hypothetical means imagined or suggested but not necessarily real or true. I need experts like you to teach me. Riley has answered my question. I'm very sorry for any offence.

Lots of people answered, you just didn't like what you heard,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler with filter in a dirty system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a megaflo unvented indirect cylinder (125i) boiler is a Worcester greenstar. I have good pressure on the cold feed and all the usual stuff works, taps...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock