Search the forum,

Discuss New Boiler Size in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Need a new boiler and have had a quotation from a local company who have recommended a 24Kw boiler. From the choices we have taken a Worcester Greenstar 24RI. However, I have a slight concern that this boiler may not be powerful enough as most articles on the web say it for use in a small or medium house and I would describe our house as large.
Our house is detached and is over 4 floors (half floors to be exact) and we have a regular system with a hot water cylinder and a tank in the loft.
The entrance is via steps which is the main floor containing a passage with 1 radiator, a main lounge/diner with 2 radiators and a kitchen with 1 radiator (always turned off). The boiler is in a cupboard in the kitchen.
Above the main floor, we have 2 bedrooms and a shower room containing a toilet and shower but no bath. Each of these rooms has a radiator and the shower room contains the hot water cylinder.
Below the main floor are a bedroom, a bathroom and a room we use as a second lounge. All have radiators with the second lounge having 2.
Below that floor on ground level we have a spare bedroom, a small study and a passage. The passage and spare bedroom have radiators but the one in the second bedroom is always turned off.
In total we have 13 radiators but we only have 11 turned on.
Our current boiler is a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 428 which is being replaced is 28.2KW which is why I am slightly concerned about the replacement being 24KW but the chap who came to give us a quote is obviously knows an awful lot more about boilers than myself.
I'm really looking for re-assurance from boiler installers than 24KW seems reasonable for our house.

It is impossible to say what size boiler is required without doing a heat loss calculation. There are several quick guide methods out there but they are only rough guides and completely meaningless if changes to insulation and windows replaced over the years have occurred.
No one on this planet can arrive at the exact output required without running the maths, beit through online calculators, or doing it themselves. I advise you to have a survey carried out, it may very well be the proposed boiler is enough, alternatively it could not be enough, or oversized which can have efficiency problems as a result.

24kw would be on the low side for a combination boiler that has to deliver instantaneous hot water (probablywhat you have read online), but for a system boiler or heat only that just provides primary water it is quite substantial. Without doing calculations it is impossible to be accurate but I would say 24Kw for 13 rads and a cylinder would be more than adequate, possibly too big.

24kw would be on the low side for a combination boiler that has to deliver instantaneous hot water (probablywhat you have read online), but for a system boiler or heat only that just provides primary water it is quite substantial. Without doing calculations it is impossible to be accurate but I would say 24Kw for 13 rads and a cylinder would be more than adequate, possibly too big.

heat only boiler

I swapped out a 30kw boiler with severely under sized gas pipework (couldn’t economically upgrade it), feeding 5 rads and a cylinder with a 12kw boiler. All works fine.

24kw will be plenty, most boilers installed nowadays are oversized by 50%.

Reply to New Boiler Size in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock