Search the forum,

Discuss New Boiler Replacement - Clarification/Advice Required in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have a Y plan open vent system, boiler 30+ years old, and requires replacement. My plumber is recommending fitting a new Viessmann 11kw System boiler in the current boilers position. The problem is he plans to run two new separate pipes fro the boiler to the hot water cylinder.
Once this is completed the system will then be an X plan set up (priority hot water) and a hot water sensor will be run from boiler position to cylinder. Meaning the hot water can be controlled via boiler user interface. This will then be a PDHW system.
Weather compensation shall be introduced for better efficiency.

This could possibly cause a bit of upheaval, because outhouse ceiling and bathroom floor will need to be replaced afterwards, and the landing carpet taken up. I'd rather do without the hassle to be honest. I am going to speak with him on his next visit obviously, but would like some insight, so I can understand when he tells why it needs doing. I am a retired engineer - not heating, and have a basic understanding of a heating system.

My hot water is only used for bathroom sink and kitchen sink, I have an electric shower, no bath, and dishwasher, so is only on for approx 1.5 hrs a day. I can time this to come on outside the central heating hours with the Hive I have. Is this plausible, or can the system below be used? I have asked in a different forum, but didn't really get a definite answer to my query. Basically I don't want to rip my house apart just to get PDHW.

I found a related article here Viessmann 100-W Heat Only and Weather Compensation in the Central Heating Forum area, and was wondering if that is a feasible alternative.
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
You won't have a open vent system boiler it will be one or the other ? You could upgrade to a similar modern type set up which you already have, I can see his side though I've upgraded systems using Viessman and they work very well with their controls and are fuel efficient and controllable, but if your property needs pulling apart to achieve this then maybe it's time to reconsider a simpler system, discuss your concerns with your installer you do not necessarily need priority Hot water Viessman will have a boiler to suit every situation. Kop

You won't have a open vent system boiler it will be one or the other ? You could upgrade to a similar modern type set up which you already have, I can see his side though I've upgraded systems using Viessman and they work very well with their controls and are fuel efficient and controllable, but if your property needs pulling apart to achieve this then maybe it's time to reconsider a simpler system, discuss your concerns with your installer you do not necessarily need priority Hot water Viessman will have a boiler to suit every situation. Kop
Thanks for your reply, I will speak with my installer, I did a bit of research, Veissmann have a heat only boiler that can be used with WC as mentioned by OP on the other forum, which will do the same job with a few wiring changes to valve and boiler. I'll mention that to him.

Thanks for your reply, I will speak with my installer, I did a bit of research, Veissmann have a heat only boiler that can be used with WC as mentioned by OP on the other forum, which will do the same job with a few wiring changes to valve and boiler. I'll mention that to him.
Sounds like the way to go WC is worth fitting and will save you money on energy 😉👍 kop

Reply to New Boiler Replacement - Clarification/Advice Required in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
I am having a new system boiler to replace very old cast iron open vented jobbie. heating engineer has offered an S plan system and a Main eco compact. My understanding is that S plan will return water at too high a temperature for boiler to run efficiently and stops weather compensation.
Replies
Views
Podengo
P
Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work. The builder got him out again and he created a separate heating circuit from the boiler (ie one circuit for the house, the other for the extension)...
Replies
Views
Home owner looking for some advice pls. We have a megaflow system which we are considering removing as the tank takes up a lot of space and we don’t find we are using more than one shower or bath at a time. Our plan is to do this when the current boiler needs replacing (probably in the next...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
About 5 year ago, I had a new central heating system (radiators) installed to replace my old warm air underfloor system. The warm air side of the new system is okay but we cannot get any hot water without running a bucketfull of cold water first. This means having to wash your hands in cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock