Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler - Remeha, Valliant of Viessmann perhaps ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TasMan

Hi folks, new on here but been reading the forums as a guest with great interest....

Am about to replace the boiler in our new house and was hoping for some insight into possible options. Am looking at a "heat only" boiler (rest of system good with recent new DHW cylinder so replacing archaic Gloworm floor standing boiler (circa 70% efficiency with new wall hung in kitchen) and narrowed it down as follows:-
Remeha Avanta 24V
Valliant Ecotec 428
Viessmann Vitodens 100-W compact

I am tending towards Remeha or Viessmann as have read a few posts on here about Valliant problems. Also, looking for a very compact unit and Remeha and Viessmann fit the bill. Viessman have the 5 year warranty compared to 5 parts/2 labour for Remeha so much the same in that respect. Sounds like both are much the same for parts availability ?

I discounted the following after reading up on advice from this forum:-
Ideal Logic+ 24 (actually looks good with 5 yr warranty, compact size, direct rear flue etc but all the negative stuff on Ideal put me off...?)
WB Greenstar 24Ri (wasn't convinced)
Baxi Solo HE A (read some horror stories on here)
and Potterton Promax SL (not convinced, Potterton seem a little behind the times?)

Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences before I take the plunge.
Thanks
Dave

narrowed it down as follows:-
Remeha Avanta 24V
Valliant Ecotec 428
Do you have a very large house?
How did you decide what size boiler you need?
Was it based on the size of the old one?

If so, it would be a sensible idea to use the Boiler Size Calculator as boilers tended to be oversized when gas was cheap.

i like remehas but havent used the heating only ones is all combis round here

Do you have a very large house?
How did you decide what size boiler you need?
Was it based on the size of the old one?

If so, it would be a sensible idea to use the Boiler Size Calculator as boilers tended to be oversized when gas was cheap.

Sorry, I should have been more clear on the DHW cylinder but its a long story hence kept it short initially...! The house is an ongoing project, the old open vented cylinder was stripped out as it had to be relocated to allow a dormer window to be cut in. The new cylinder is a Tribune 150 pre-plumbed unit, and the system is being converted to sealed. I was originally going to go for a system boiler with unvented cylinder but the plumber opted for the pre-plumbed unit with pump and valves on board. Hence now it would make sense to use the pump and valves supplied with the cylinder and just go with a heat only boiler ? The Tribune cylinder has a coil rating of 19kW I believe, house heat loss around 7kW. The boiler calculator indicated 30kW but seems oversize to me. In reality I will never need full boiler duty for all heating and all hot water going at once so 24ish size boiler seems more sensible and allows for heating and hot water simultaneously if needed based on the cylinder rarely being fully emptied ? I have talked this through with the plumber and have reached a mutual agreement on this.....(rightly or wrongly!!)

The old boiler was 18 - 19kw I believe, so a slight increase in duty. The house is 1970 build detached 2 storey.

Thanks
Dave

i have been installing Remeha boilers for 4 years and i have never had any comeback, easy to install and service i have installed all the remeha boilers, they are brilliant boilers even fitted one in my house. They all come with a five year warranty.

Installed a 'Heat only' Remeha 24v about 2 years ago for a client, no problems at all.
It's a simplified version of the successful combi.

The new cylinder is a Tribune 150 pre-plumbed unit, and the system is being converted to sealed.
That sounds a bit on the small size. It's only recommended for a bedsit/1 bed flat!

The Tribune cylinder has a coil rating of 19kW I believe, house heat loss around 7kW.
There's no need to add them together to get the boiler size! In any case the methods used by manufacturers for "rating" their coils is shrouded in mystery. They are not like the element of an electric fire which consumes a fixed amount of electricity when switched on.

The boiler calculator indicated 30kW but seems oversize to me. The house is 1970 build detached 2 storey.
But you just said the heat loss is 7kW! So the calculator should not be giving 30kW; maybe 9kW (includes 2kW for the cylinder).
How did you get 30kW? Post the data you entered into the calculator and I will check it for you.

Thanks for all info so far....Remeha looking good, was originally first choice until I remembered Viessmann boilers and I thought I would ask the experts...!

Tribune brochure shows 150HE ok for 1 Bath + Ensuite for 3-4 bed house. We have one bathroom i.e 1 x bath and at present 2x electric showers so should be fine. To be honest, where the cylinder had to be located in the eaves this was the tallest unit we could get in. Tribune are saying recovery of 15 minutes on the 150 litre using minimum 19kW boiler power for 70% refill. So, even if we are tight on stored hot water capacity (say we add in a mixer shower) we should have tons of water available if we have the boiler duty available.

I appreciate the issue with the coil ratings, its all subjective and full coil rating only comes into play from substantial cold refills. But the set up should allow for simultaneous heating and hot water rather than DHW priority under light DHW draw off, hence going on the higher boiler rating for the calcs allows some flexibility.

Boiler sizing data.
Front to back - 9.5m
Side to side - 8.5m
2.4m high
2 storey
Initially I stuck in 19kW for DHW which gives 31.01kW as per below total.
Staying with 2kW standard gives 14.01 kW (seems light ?)
Going with say 10kW for DHW gives 22.01 kW as a comparison.

The WHOLE HOUSE BOILER SIZING METHOD on-line
calculator has used the following parameters:-

The dwelling type is detached with double glazed windows with metal frames.
The external walls are cavity, filled with insulation.
The roof is pitched with 50 to 75mm of insulation.
The Dwelling is in Scotland. The following three major contributors to the heat requirement
are all affected by the levels of insulation.

The WINDOW heat loss is 3.52 kW
The WALL heat loss is 1.84 kW
The ROOF heat loss is 2.28 kW
Note down the kW readings (or print this page) then press your
browser's Back button.

If better insulation is possible, make selections with higher levels of insulation,
then calculate again to see the effect on the boiler size required.

By spending money on, say, more loft insulation you may save money on the
price of the boiler, and you will definitely save money FOREVER on your heating bills.
The required boiler output is 31.01 kW
Press your BACK button for another calculation.

I am not sure how the calc above works out, is this including intermittent heating factor i.e say 7.5kW heat loss + 25% boost = 9.55kW heating + DHW (19kW worse case?) = 28.55 kW.....? So perhaps a step up to a 30kW range is required ? At the end of the day, all Avanta's appear to modulate down to 6kW minimum, not sure on the Viessmann so even if I go for the biggest Avanta boiler, according to Remeha literature they all modulate down to 6kW.

Thats my thinking anyway but always open to discussion....?

Cheers
Dave

I work on viessmanns every day and with a local authority not impressed

...Remeha are cheap tat.

Could you explain your reasoning here Rossi46?

TasMan you can now get 5 years Parts & Labour on remeha - if bought via approved dealers - contact Remeha for recommendation on this.
As part of the group that owns BAXI, Potterton, Main etc the customer service/technical back up from Heateam for Remeha is about the best you can get.

If you were asking our company for a quote we would probably suggest something from this group.

Fitted both Vaillant and Remeha and found both to be good decent boilers. Not fitted Viessman but been on their training day in Lincoln and it seemed a good piece of kit. I think that mrs tp makes a worthwhile point with regard to the backup though, for the Remeha.

Thanks to all so far, interesting views. In my line of work (local authority) we use Remeha commercial boilers, hence my knowledge of Remeha and tendancy to sway towards them, but have no experience of their domestic boilers so its good to hear the views on here. Good info from Mrs Tara and woodsy on remeha backup, sounds good and different to what I have read elsewhere in this forum. Am surprised about Remeha being noted as 'cheap tat' and Viessmans being poor but I guess all boilers have their issues...

Any further thoughts on my earlier post re boiler sizing ?

Will enquire with Remeha on warranties etc, I see their website is saying 5 year parts, 2 labour.

Cheers
Dave

The reason I say remeha (domestic) boilers are cheap tat is because the build quality and reliability is very poor, until they bought baxi customer service was shocking! You get what you pay for.

Tribune brochure shows 150HE ok for 1 Bath + Ensuite for 3-4 bed house.
I looked in the wrong column - direct instead of indirect!!

But the set up should allow for simultaneous heating and hot water rather than DHW priority under light DHW draw off, hence going on the higher boiler rating for the calcs allows some flexibility.
With modern high wattage coil cylinders the heat up time is so short that giving HW the priority has negligible effect on room temperature. The reheat time of the Range 150 is 16 minutes (that's from 30C to 65C) and it would only 28 minutes to heat a cold tank from 15C to 65C.

If you fit weather compensation (might be a good idea in Scotland!) the boiler is always configured for HW priority. When the heating is on the boiler temperature varies according to the outside temperature. But when HW needs to be heated the boiler automatically switches to Max output.

I agree with your boiler sizing calculation of 14.01kW including 2kW for the cylinder.

If you were to install a Remeha 18V boiler with weather compensation the cylinder heat-up time from 15C to 65C would be 30 minutes and the reheat time (70% drawn off) would be 20 minutes. I'm about to go down this route myself.

Go for the Remeha, that's all i recommend/fit these days when possible approx 99% of the time.

Once you have fitted a Remeha, i am sure you will be so impressed and fit them all of the time.

Bob

Go for the Remeha, that's all i recommend/fit these days when possible approx 99% of the time.

Once you have fitted a Remeha, i am sure you will be so impressed and fit them all of the time.

Bob

Thanks, looking like Remeha from everything I have been reading, and the many comments on here.
The Tribune cylinder comes with a standard programmer and room stat so looking at just using these but ordering the Remeha weather sensor for direct compensation, was having a study of the wiring diagrams last night, looks straightforward.
Regards
David

Tasman, go for the Remeha but use the new isense controller with outside thermostat......absolutley the bees knees.

Rossi46, your talking rubbish....have you ever fitted a Remeha????, like all boilers in that range they are domestic boilers, i have installed loads in commercial places, never yet had a problem, did you know that they were designed by there parent company called Broag which are the best commercial boilers on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
did you know that they were designed by there parent company called Broag which are the best commercial boilers on the market.
I don't think so!

Remeha boilers are designed and manufactured in the Netherlands by Remeha BV. Broag, which is owned by Remeha, was just the UK distributor.

Now that Baxi and Remeha are part of BDR Thermea, Broag seems to have been absorbed into Baxi as an email I sent to Broag-Remeha was answered by someone from Baxi Group Sales.

Have you look`d into the new Sime Murelle this has a 10 year parts & labour warranty

Viessmann Vitodens are very good. been fitting them for two years now, never a problem and customers are delighted with them plus they have weather compensation built in and their four pipe set up makes installation simple. Have you considered worcester bosch cdi.

vitogens= pressure problems control box problems flue flap problems getting parts problems

Personally Ive never fitted a Remeha or a Viessmann but plenty of Vaillants which Ive never had any problems with.

Hi folks, new on here but been reading the forums as a guest with great interest....

Am about to replace the boiler in our new house and was hoping for some insight into possible options. Am looking at a "heat only" boiler (rest of system good with recent new DHW cylinder so replacing archaic Gloworm floor standing boiler (circa 70% efficiency with new wall hung in kitchen) and narrowed it down as follows:-
Remeha Avanta 24V
Valliant Ecotec 428

I am tending towards Remeha or Viessmann as have read a few posts on here about Valliant problems. Also, looking for a very compact unit and Remeha and Viessmann fit the bill. Viessman have the 5 year warranty compared to 5 parts/2 labour for Remeha so much the same in that respect. Sounds like both are much the same for parts availability ?

I discounted the following after reading up on advice from this forum:-
Ideal Logic+ 24 (actually looks good with 5 yr warranty, compact size, direct rear flue etc but all the negative stuff on Ideal put me off...?)
WB Greenstar 24Ri (wasn't convinced)
Baxi Solo HE A (read some horror stories on here)
and Potterton Promax SL (not convinced, Potterton seem a little behind the times?)

Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences before I take the plunge.
Thanks
Dave

Intergas Systems boiler def , very little parts , 5yr warranty parts and labour

Read the reviews about them ,

ajdgas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler - Remeha, Valliant of Viessmann perhaps ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock