Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler - questionable install in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, i have had a new boiler installed and they have left the property without completing full scope of works.
Also have plugged the boiler into an extension lead on top of a toilet. (I will try and add a picture)
Any advice if this is ok or not please20221104_194111.jpg

You can't use an extension lead as a permanent supply. You need an electrician to install a dedicated three pin outlet close to the boiler for it to plug into.

Looks to me as though the boiler team jumped the gun. I'd have wanted the toilet pan removed properly, the electrical worked completed and the wall re-plastered and/or repainted before the boiler went in. This can all be done with it in situ but it would have been easier to have done things in the right order.

Wireless receiver may be a bit close to the boiler (check the MIs) and might want moving as part of the electrical works but the pipework looks quite nicely done as far as one can tell from the photo.

There’s a switch right by it, would only need changing if it’s not already fused. Receivers are usually 30cm away from boiler to prevent interference, but as suggested check the instructions. Extension lead and trailing cable is a no-no. Also flue could be too close to that air vent depending on if it’s vented outside.

There’s a switch right by it, would only need changing if it’s not already fused. Receivers are usually 30cm away from boiler to prevent interference, but as suggested check the instructions. Extension lead and trailing cable is a no-no. Also flue could be too close to that air vent depending on if it’s vented outside.
I will check instructions, thank you
The switch has no cables to or from. Scope was to install wiring. Instead they put a plug on the boiler, plugged it in and left
Now refusing to fix

The switch has no cables to or from.
I take it you have checked this?
Scope was to install wiring. Instead they put a plug on the boiler, plugged it in and left
Now refusing to fix
As long as you have it writing in the quotation then I’d say you can take them to court, or however else it’s dealt with. I would check that vent too, as then gas safe could get involved.

It looks like this externally (got picture on line as im not at home at the moment)
Silly question maybe... what do i need to check with the vent? TIA
And yes checked the spur. There is no electrics in the house other than temporary extension leads until rewire starts. Thats why it was in the scopes of work for the boiler install 👍

No not a silly question at all. Basically check the vent on the other side of the wall, if it’s vented, then it’s too close.
I'd suggest even if it's been sealed up, it's too close. Not sure the gas regs would consider anything other than the possibility that the vent could pass air, so long as it it is there at all. (Waiting to get shot down by the forum gas installers if this assumption is wrong).

If there's no wiring in house then how are they supposed to wire it in?
True. Worth checking the quote. It may say 'connect to existing electrical installation'. But logically the extension lead plugs in somewhere.

OP - how is the extension lead plugged in?

The pipework routed outside looks to be an overpressure or condensate pipe and is probably correct to go outside (you can always post up a photo for us).

They removed the toilet without it being agreed?!

I'd suggest even if it's been sealed up, it's too close. Not sure the gas regs would consider anything other than the possibility that the vent could pass air, so long as it it is there at all. (Waiting to get shot down by the forum gas installers if this assumption is wrong).
I think it’s acceptable as it’s no different from a brick, et al. The flue must be 300mm away from an opening to the building, other regs do apply but not in this scenario.

I think it’s acceptable as it’s no different from a brick, et al. The flue must be 300mm away from an opening to the building, other regs do apply but not in this scenario.
If sealed with mortar, I'd agree. But what if a DIYer had bunged silicone in it in the past to stop the draught? Surely still a vent? We had a recent discussion about what if a window pane is replaced with a bit of hardyboard and I thought we concluded it was still a window that could easily be turned back into a window. Hence my train of thought. Not saying I'm sure, mind you.

True. Worth checking the quote. It may say 'connect to existing electrical installation'. But logically the extension lead plugs in somewhere.

OP - how is the extension lead plugged in?

The pipework routed outside looks to be an overpressure or condensate pipe and is probably correct to go outside (you can always post up a photo for us).

They removed the toilet without it being agreed?!
Quote stupilates installing supply for fused spur.

The extension lead is connected straight into the rcd of the new consumer unit. Its a temp supply for builders doing renovation work.
Rewire cant be done until roof leaks are fixed and wall structures have the correct steel beams in place.
There is a route to install a cable to supply the spur from consumer unit. Then obviously test. Job was scoped and confirmed before being given the job.

Tbh would let the electrics go as you’ve got sparkles rewiring

But condense needs to be 11/4 min through the wall and insulated not overflow

Its just a personal thing but i would not have had all those pipes going vertically downward like that. I'd have gathered them together neatly to one side for a better appearance and also to provide the opportunity for them to be boxed in.

Reply to New boiler - questionable install in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock