Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler install - is this acceptable work? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

It's very shoddy no doubt but is it dangerous or dangerous enough to involve Gas Safe? They don't usually attend where it is a question of very poor workmanship, no harm asking though.
Yeah I was thinking the same. An inspector we had, said even though they see some awful work most of it is 'safe' in their eyes. The quality of work is poor in the OPs photos, but the flue is sealed etc. Gas Safe won't be interested.

Every install the customer has the right to have it inspected by Gas Safe for free, I personally corrected a bad install for a customer who got gas Safe involved after their Valliant boiler failed after 6 weeks, the engineer was made to pay back the costs involved, retrain put on probation for 6 months so I would say phone them for advice. Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210214-192751.png
    Screenshot_20210214-192751.png
    507.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210214-192833.png
    Screenshot_20210214-192833.png
    622.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Well that's not exactly true KoP. According to your attachment you have to nominate your property for a free inspection which doesn't mean you're entitled to one. If you have gas safety concerns then of course report it BUT that's the point about the OP's install is it gas unsafe or is it just an install very shoddily executed? No harm in asking I agree but then given what we've seen of it there is no guarantee they'll get involved too.

Well that's not exactly true KoP. According to your attachment you have to nominate your property for a free inspection which doesn't mean you're entitled to one. If you have gas safety concerns then of course report it BUT that's the point about the OP's install is it gas unsafe or is it just an install very shoddily executed? No harm in asking I agree but then given what we've seen of it there is no guarantee they'll get involved too.
What would you do in his position ? I have been on both sides of gas safe I got reported once they were there like a shot luckily it all turned out well , it was the neighbor who made the complaint regarding a flue position they will attend if there is a safety concern, but agreed there may be or there may not either way it needs sorting and at least brought up to a acceptable standard which it's definitely is not and falsifying the benchmark and signatures is not a smart move .

He's contacted the firm to ask them to make good, that I'm sure you'll agree is the right thing to do because it isn't a safety issue or at least one we can see. The falsification on the other hand is worth reporting although if true I'm not sure what can be done about it. If the systems been dosed adequately fine but how do you prove it hasn't been flushed and cleaned, then what? He says yes, we have our doubts but whose to say he hasn't and as the OP said he signed off the Benchmark because of Covid.

What would you do in his position ?
I'd get a building company to quote for a proper repair the damaged wall teamed up with a heating guy to look after the flue. A nice repair to the wall is going to need a time-served brick-layer being paid well enough to take care. Matching the bricks, if they're not readily available, is going to involve swapping out some from a less visible position. Matching the pointing is also going to take some messing around.

If I were the OP I'd be more than a bit fed up with whoever made that mess.

He's contacted the firm to ask them to make good, that I'm sure you'll agree is the right thing to do because it isn't a safety issue or at least one we can see. The falsification on the other hand is worth reporting although if true I'm not sure what can be done about it. If the systems been dosed adequately fine but how do you prove it hasn't been flushed and cleaned, then what? He says yes, we have our doubts but whose to say he hasn't and as the OP said he signed off the Benchmark because of Covid.
My point is the GSI who carried out this work needs to realise the quality of the work he's doing is just not to a acceptable standard he could be doing 3 or 4 a week ? we all have a duty of care to our customers to carry out a contracted install to a high standard and make good any damage caused, cleaning a system properly can take half a day minimum, commissioning completing the relevant work paperwork leaves very little time to carry out the actual install itself if it's completed in a day or less? Get the work checked if it's gas safe? then its all well and good if not then it will eventually be brought up to a acceptable standard the op should not be expected to pay extra for repairs to be carried out . Regards Kop

I know what your point is but I do not agree with your interpretation of what should be done, why and who by and I think you're mixing the standard of work that is done to an acceptable standard with what is required to be done safely and legally and there's quite a difference between the two.

Under the consumer rights act work should be carried out with reasonable care and skill and it's fair to say this hasn't been. We are legally obliged via Gas Safe/Benchmark to carry out an installation safely and to specification and that's why you put your signature to it.

Gas Safe does not specify the flue cavity cannot be badly filled with mortar instead of using matching brick or a kitchen unit cannot be punched out with a hammer instead of hole sawed or cut out neatly to allow pipe access. None of the above is essentially unsafe which is what Gas Safe will assess if they chose to come out NOT the standard of the work that does not effect gas safety.

Let's assume this ends up messily trying to recover costs, there is due process that is well established which includes contacting the installer first and allowing them to make good, if that fails then contacting other tradesman to quote and make good is one of the next steps....

Last edited:
Guess we have a difference of opinion there then G I am only going on my past experiences with this sort of issue, you may well be correct in your interpretation of it if you are then I stand corrected. Regards kop

Can’t be unsafe as most landlord jobs are done to a worse standard least they cut the flue :D

Just dug out the pictures of the one i corrected the Valliant boiler was fitted and a Gloworm blanced flue boiler removed , the Gas safe issue was the gas supply was undersized there was also a gas hob fitted, but i am sure you will agree its poor very poor for a new boiler upgrade. Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210214-195847.png
    Screenshot_20210214-195847.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20210214-200202.png
    Screenshot_20210214-200202.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20210214-200243.png
    Screenshot_20210214-200243.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20210214-195837.png
    Screenshot_20210214-195837.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20210214-200317.png
    Screenshot_20210214-200317.png
    2 MB · Views: 29
Just dug out the pictures of the one i corrected the Valliant boiler was fitted and a Gloworm blanced flue boiler removed , the Gas safe issue was the gas supply was undersized there was also a gas hob fitted, but i am sure you will agree its poor very poor for a new boiler upgrade. Kop
Nope, nothing wrong with that.... :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210217-054910.png
    Screenshot_20210217-054910.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20210217-054853.png
    Screenshot_20210217-054853.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20210217-054737.png
    Screenshot_20210217-054737.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20210217-054829.png
    Screenshot_20210217-054829.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Going back to blueplanet's original photos and the safety aspect, am I wrong to think the flue should terminate 300mm from a window? As it looks to be 9" away to me...

I think that's ok just but he did start one further away that's true. If you project up, from outside edge of actual flue = a full length brick + around 1/2 end brick + an inch or two of window frame so looks to be near enough 12" or 300mm.

Hello, If you want to install a new boiler at your home contact us.
we are a reputable boiler installation and services company. Our engineers are always ready to install a boiler at your home at very affordable prices.
Thank you...
Boiler chucking cold calllers...

"Trustpilot"
From Wikipedia:

"
On 22 March 2019 The Times reported that estate agents Purplebricks and Foxtons are "gaming" Trustpilot feedback by paying it to help gain better scores. In August 2016 five reviews of Foxtons were published on Trustpilot, with an average score of 2.2 stars out of five. The following month there were 467 reviews, 90% of them awarding five stars.[29][34]

On 6 February 2020 industry publication Property Industry Eye reported that Trustpilot was looking into reviews of estate agents ‘at large’ after claims from property review website allAgents that 70% of their reviews could be fake.[35][36]
"

Source : Trustpilot - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trustpilot

I know trustpilot is not the only such actor but it does seem to have a particular problem.

Reply to New boiler install - is this acceptable work? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock