Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler install - is this acceptable work? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I had a new boiler installed and wondered if you think this is acceptable workmanship.

Looks like they started to drill a hole at the front and then had to move down.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• Eon 2.jpg
    Eon 2.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 133
  • Eon 3.jpg
    Eon 3.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Eon 4.jpg
    Eon 4.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 133
They found the lintel bet you

also depends on price ?

It was installed by one of the big Energy companies. Should they have not checked for where the lintel might be? I think its terrible and its at the front of the house.

The internal wall, I can make that good. But the inside cupboard - what's wrong with a small hole big enough for the pipe.

So granted free or low cost ?

normally the lintel extends 150mm max 200mm so they would of been clear

As for the hole I guess they needed to get there hand in there

So granted free or low cost ?

normally the lintel extends 150mm max 200mm so they would of been clear

As for the hole I guess they needed to get there hand in there
I would have cut a neat hole using one of those pieces (cant recall what its called) at least or put the "L" corner on and then put the pipe in through smaller hole and lined up with the hole they drilled through the worktop.

I would have cut a neat hole using one of those pieces (cant recall what its called) at least or put the "L" corner on and then put the pipe in through smaller hole and lined up with the hole they drilled through the worktop.

unfortunately they don’t have the time there paid like £200 to install a new boiler

I’m going to take a guess around 4 hours max to install it ?

unfortunately they don’t have the time there paid like £200 to install a new boiler

I’m going to take a guess around 4 hours max to install it ?
They took about 6 hours. I had taken down the cupboards for them so they didnt have much to do other than remove old and put new one in. I think one was a trainee.

They took about 6 hours. I had taken down the cupboards for them so they didnt have much to do other than remove old and put new one in. I think one was a trainee.

did they clean and flush the heating system?

Did you pay for the install?

Did you pay for the install?
Yes and on a credit so two potential avenues. This is what the quote said:

• Vaillant ecoFIT pure 418 (Heat Only)
  • System Filter
  • Heating System Inhibitor
  • Heating System Cleaner
  • 15mm Filling Loop
  • 2 Year Guarantee
  • 15mm Radiator Valve & Lockshield (Angled)
  • Vaillant Standard Horizontal Flue
  • Vaillant Flue Extension Kit 980mm
Do you know what the filling loop is?

If you don’t mind what was the quote ?

it’s for a sealed system to top up the system but yours is open vent I’m guessing

Good luck

The best price I can buy that boiler (with flue) for is ÂŁ743 + Vat. The flue centre must be a minimum of 300mm from the inside edge of the door frame - measured horizontally. If it is not - when you receive your Building Control certification call Gas Safe for an inspection.

Read the Valliant users manual, but I think you will find that unless the system has been flushed before the boiler was installed there is no warranty.

If you paid ÂŁ1400 incl Vat - it is a very cheap deal. Just get them back to sort out the builders work and make sure that you have a warranty.

Big energy co's are notorious for subbing to cheapest installer who knows full well he'll probably never see you again. Your workmanship is fairly standard of big energy companies.
Properly installed you could get a 10 year warranty. Badly installed you get nothing.

The best price I can buy that boiler (with flue) for is ÂŁ743 + Vat. The flue centre must be a minimum of 300mm from the inside edge of the door frame - measured horizontally. If it is not - when you receive your Building Control certification call Gas Safe for an inspection.

Read the Valliant users manual, but I think you will find that unless the system has been flushed before the boiler was installed there is no warranty.

If you paid ÂŁ1400 incl Vat - it is a very cheap deal. Just get them back to sort out the builders work and make sure that you have a warranty.
Thanks. In the manual, there is a commissioning form that asks if the system been flushed, they ticked yes for it being flushed and then signed it. They then forged my signature on the form to say it had all been explained etc.

Thanks. In the manual, there is a commissioning form that asks if the system been flushed, they ticked yes for it being flushed and then signed it. They then forged my signature on the form to say it had all been explained etc.
Oh, you've got them by the balls then. Document everything that's wrong including the falsification of a legal document. You have to give them a chance to make good even though you won't want to. Ideally get your solicitor involved to write them a stiff letter to show you mean business. While you're at it fire a letter to Vaillant because I'm sure they'd appreciate their products being installed so shoddily, in the end they have to maintain the product warranty that's been validated by the benchmark (that has been falsified).

No point mucking about, send one to the boss...

Last edited:
Oh, you've got them by the balls then. Document everything that's wrong including the falsification of a legal document. You have to give them a chance to make good even though you won't want to. Ideally get your solicitor involved to write them a stiff letter to show you mean business. While you're at it fire a letter to Vaillant because I'm sure they'd appreciate their products being installed so shoddily, in the end they have to maintain the product warranty that's been validated by the benchmark (that has been falsified).

I was thinking that may be due to covid he signed on my behalf but on reflection the installers should have stated my name on it and just noted not signed due to covid - like the couriers / Royal Mail do.

Mmmmm...it's your document, he could've gone through it with you like he's obliged to and then witnessed you signing it while social distancing.

I was thinking that may be due to covid he signed on my behalf but on reflection the installers should have stated my name on it and just noted not signed due to covid - like the couriers / Royal Mail do.
Covid may have caused many inconveniences,
Forging a signature is not one of them.

Why do sound so casual about it?
I would take legal action immediately.

I would demand the installation be fixed by another contractor from the Company.
If the sent the original contractor back, I would belt him at the door.

You just can't forge someones signature on a legal document, no matter how incidental the document is.
I would also insist on a flush as per the MI's.

I would also threaten to go to the media about the forged signature and the standard of the install.

Even if this was a “free” installation; I’d be complaining.
The flue installation, both internally and externally are beyond unacceptable. Anyone could make an error on core drilling, but at least try and make it presentable.
The probability of lack of proper commissioning, also speaks volumes.
If the benchmark states that the system is flushed, ask for a turbidity test alongside a TDS measurement; guessing that’ll confirm little has been done.
Usually installers that are mediocre, use cheap boilers; Vaillant are usually best of the best.
Absolutely shocking.

I agree with both of the last two responses. They even knocked on brick out then put it back but didnt put it flush. So when you see it in real life the brick is sticking out at an angle.

Should there be a cover over or around the flue? Or do the Vaillant ones not come with a cover? Thanks.

The rubber weather collar, that’s already fitted externally, is all that’s supplied/supposed to be fitted.
Internally, Vaillant would supply a off white plastic collar, which many installers don’t fit as most can use finishing plaster to a good internal finish.
Unfortunately, Vaillant changed their flue suppler several years ago; and it’s been said many times, that the quality isn’t as good as it was before. Personal opinions do vary on this matter though.
Internally, it looks like a form of expanding foam has been used, this used to be frowned upon.
Furthermore, to make good externally, a good brickie would fix that; maybe 9 bricks total, but would need some matching if it were me.
This is speaking as an ex-Vaillant engineer.

Depends on the gap size but nowadays it's ok to use foam to fix flues, as long as the remaining inch or so is rendered in mortar/plaster then it is to standard afak and ok with many manufacturers. Obviously nothing like the example in this thread where it's been used to replace whole bricks by the looks of things.

That is appalling work I would honestly report this one to gas Safe who will inspect the work it could take a while due to covid ,? and force the installer to put the install right at their cost. Shocking 6 hours for boiler change is no where near enough time to do a quality job here is one I did recently. Regards
Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200905-060839_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200905-060839_Photos.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 47
That is appalling work I would honestly report this one to gas Safe who will inspect the work it could take a while due to covid ,? and force the installer to put the install right at their cost. Shocking 6 hours for boiler change is no where near enough time to do a quality job here is one I did recently. Regards
Kop
It's very shoddy no doubt but is it dangerous or dangerous enough to involve Gas Safe? They don't usually attend where it is a question of very poor workmanship, no harm asking though.

Reply to New boiler install - is this acceptable work? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock