Search the forum,

Discuss New Boiler Advice - 30i or 38CDi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello All,

I am getting some quotes for a new boiler to replace a very old one.
But confused between the two options available:
Worcester Greenstar 38CDi Classic VS Worcester Greenstar 30I ErP.

Mine is a 4 Bed 2 Bath Semi with 12 radiators.
We use hot water (showers) from both the bathrooms simultaneously at times.

I have two specific questions:
a) Would I be better off with spending a little more on 38CDi (that according to Bosch specs is meant for highest hot water flow rates)?

b) The incoming water flow rate was measured at around 11-12 l/min (by a heating engineer giving me the quote) ...based on which I was advised to stick with 30i as I won't see the real benefit of 38 CDi at that flow rate.
Is this correct?
While this sounds reasonable, will the incoming water flow rate be a significant factor in choosing the right boiler size?

(Some of my friends whose water supply is similar to mine, have still gone with 38CDi and report great hot water hitting their showers.
Not sure if they would have seen the same with 30i though.)

If other hot water sources ( like taps in kitchen etc) are used at the same time as the showers, will 30i struggle to keep up?

Any advice on this very much appreciated.

Thanks all,
Aravind T

Wrong type of boiler if you want to run more than one outlet at the same time

Bigger issue is your water main if the figures are correct isn’t suitable to run more than one outlet at the same time

Need to know if them figures are correct you can test your self by timing how long it takes to fill a 1l bottle around 4 seconds for 16lpm

As for pressure you would need a pressure gauge or you can pay a plumber to carry out these tests and report back

Yes to b), go to your friend's houses and actually turn on both hot water outlets/showers and actually see and feel it for yourself.
After spending thousands on a new boiler install nobody admits to making a mistake.

Its just not good practice to use a combi in your intended manner.
Usually unqualfied engineers for pressure cylinders go down this route. You will not get proper performance. Times of water stress Summer, every weekday morning it will just be a bind. The pages of UKPF are awash with the 'big Combi Problem' centralheatking

Thanks all for the advice. I now get the idea about the outlets I can use.
However even if I stick to one outlet at one point, with the incoming mains
at 12 l/min..the 38CDi Worcester boiler won't be of much use?

i.e on the Bosch website its spec ed to deliver upto 16.4 l./min.
But if incoming is only 12 , that is effectively the upper limit any boiler can output?

If that’s correct better off going with the 30kw as you say your not going to get the benefit of a bigger one as your main is capable

As above tkar if you want good or even optimum performance
for 12 rads 4 beds and 2x bathrooms with plenty of people in your
gaff...as you state 2x showers at same time you are totally in the wrong ball park by even considering a combi, and bin any installer
whom advises you down this route. UNLESS. you cannot afford a proper set up....centralheatking

Reply to New Boiler Advice - 30i or 38CDi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock