Search the forum,

Discuss Nest Thermostat Recommendation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RuthO

Hello, reposting this as a member now...

Hi,

I’m getting a new boiler this week as the old one has broken down. I’ve been checking out this forum and would like your advice on a thermostat.

We currently don’t have a thermostat separate to the boiler so I’m very excited about the options available but at the same time I need a wireless one to avoid drilling into my walls everywhere.

We were looking at a Nest as it looked brilliant, had great reviews and gave us endless options which we’ve never had available. We’re planning to stay in the house a few more years and as we work different shifts it’s an advantage to be able to control it out of the house.

However, it seems people have problems, even though the reviews are still very positive. I just wanted to ask what people’s impressions are on here of the system and if there’s any other alternatives you’d recommend? I’m aware Nest needs power so we’ll have to drill into the wall somewhere but I can’t see a system which doesn’t need power or a direct line to the boiler. Also a lot of the others seem to be around the same price?

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks
Ruth

Welcome to the forum Ruth but fear you will receive conflicting advice on which is best.

I've fitted a few and no problems. In fact I like them. Dead simple to use (never tried it off the phone as always fitting to someone's property)

What I don't like is the power lead to it makes it look pants!

If you have an existing thermostat then it's brilliant otherwise it's ruined as the really smart looking stat has a spindly little cable coming out of the bottom.

The only other rf wifi stat that I've fitted is the salus and like the other salus I've fitted a bit more complicated to set up.

Hmm, that doesn't sound great. We don't have a thermostat at the moment that's separate from the boiler so it'll need fixing to a plug socket won't it? I've been recommended a Honeywell as an alternative but I realise that's a bit different.

The nest is pretty good, it works via your router and the remote stat either uses the provided power supply or you can hard wire it to the receiver.

The Nest is excellent. You say you have no hard wired thermostat at the moment. This is not a problem because you can plug the thermostat into any 13 amp socket because it only needs to provide power (5 volt USB) for the thermostat. This thermostat can then be placed in the room in which you want to control the heat.

Communication with the boiler takes place through your home wifi.

Best advice is to get a Nest authorised installer - they know what they are doing and will walk you through the workings.

There are now 2 models of Nest, the original one which only controlled the heating and the latest which can control water heating as well.

They really are a good talking point when your friends and neighbours see them. Good luck.

How about the Drayton MiGenie, use's batteries on the stat so can be mounted anywhere, and can be operated by your phone too.

I do like the Honeywell blah system. but a digital thermostat to zone control every room the cost soon adds up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Nest Thermostat Recommendation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock