Search the forum,

Discuss Nest Heat Link problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I wonder if anyone could help.

We have a nest heating system that we have had for 9 months, it had been working fine up until 5 days ago. Since Wednesday evening it has worked very sporadically. When it’s not working we can’t even get it to come on with the manual button on the heat link. British Gas came out twice on Thursday but both times it was actually working. The first engineer came checked over the boiler and when he left heating was on fine. Within an hour of him leaving it had gone off again. The heating came back on 5 hours later just before the second engineer arrived. He again checked over the boiler couldn’t find any faults, the heating went on and off as it should while he was there. His only solution to ensure the heating didn’t go off again was to install a different controller as he felt the fault was with the nest heat link. So we agreed. On Friday we re-installed the heat link was working fine all weekend til this morning when we can’t turn the heating on again. Nest are telling me I have to pay for a Nest Pro to come out and diagnose the fault (which I’ve been quoted £96) but our issue is with it working intermittently they could come out and it be fine at that time. Does anyone have any ideas? I’m stuck between British Gas telling me it’s a Nest issue and Nest telling me it’s something else :(

Thanks
Jenny

BG have told you it's Nest and Nest have told you to pay for the diagnosis. Does the fee include repair? Not sure what other choices you have other than to be told the same and get it looked at.

Hey Jen, I have a Nest system too (1st gen) I've not had the problems you're describing, but have you tried resetting the Nest to factory settings?

Support

When you press the manual button on the nest heat link do the green lights come on effectively calling for heat from the boiler?
It could be a fault with the boiler and not the nest

Yeah we have reset the Nest and been through troubleshooting with them. When we press the manual button on the Heat Link the three symbols come up green and it appears to be functioning correctly but no heating light comes up on the boiler.

The £97 fee is literally for a Nest Pro to come and diagnose it as faulty. No fix. If it’s faulty Nest will refund the money and send out a replacement. If no fault found I’m £97 out of pocket and none the wiser.

British Gas have been out again this afternoon. When they got here they noticed the water light was on when it shouldn’t be as nothing was calling for water. They have got the heating back on for now. Going to keep the British Gas heating controller on to see if the fault replicates.

It's probably a wiring issue elsewhere but intermittent faults are always going to be difficult. If I had to have a low cost stab in the dark I'd replace the cylinder thermostat (If you have a cylinder that is).

If you have 2port or 3port valves then they're most likely the issue but not cheap to replace.
A good local engineer is your best bet!

Morning, I have this exact issue now, most evenings the Heatlink is unresponsive but fine when I get up in the morning. Been working perfectly until 2 weeks ago. Any update on a root cause at all. Thanks

Hello I have this exact issue too. Fine for over a year then all of a sudden downstairs heating wouldn’t go on, then the next morning both wouldn’t go on. Called a plumber and an electrician they put it on manually overriding the thermostats which seemed to work but only for an hour then went off. The heat links light up green with all the lights but isn’t firing up the boiler. Nothing seems to be working and it looks like a lot of people have this issue? It was a nest installer that installed these originally for us. Has anyone found out a solution to this?

Reply to Nest Heat Link problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock