Search the forum,

Discuss Neighbour refusing to fix her noisy Water supply pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello there,

I'm new on here and would like to ask if anyone has practical advice.

I live in a converted house hence I live in the flat on the first floor and my neighbor on the ground floor.

The water supply is via a single supply from the street which splits (either underground or in the loft) running through the loft for sure to our designated properties.

When my neighbor uses her water supply whether hot or cold I'm not particularly sure, there is a violent rattling/banging of her water supply pipes in the loft above me. This is something my neighbor does not hear and as she says does not bother her.

My water supply pipes also rattle but very mildly to no noise.

My neighbor hired (who I think is a cowboy) plumber who stated that this is usual for old properties (which I agree) and nothing can be done about this (which I do not agree)

I advised my neighbor the findings of my own plumber advising her that we will need to clip our water supply pipes down and/or install arrestors to resolve the issue. But she said her plumber said nothing can be done, that she does not need or want to do it and nor does the noise bother her.

I have had patience with that noise for over 2 years now and I really am getting so annoyed waking up in the middle of the night or every time they use their water supply which is majority of the time day or night.

It has caused me stress and disturbed my sleep far too many times.

I advised her that if we hire a 3rd plumber and it turns out that her water supply pipes are faulty then she will have to pay for it otherwise I will bear half the expense. This she said that is not possible and not ready to shoulder the expense on her own.

I have now resorted to making a complaint to the council noise nuisance section who have written to her and advised me to keep a future 4 week diary.

Could anyone shed any light or help with any insightful information how to corner my neighbor as she is trying to make me pay for fault finding on her water supply pipe.

Thanks
Karen.

As the property seems to be a leasehold...yes...then the leaseholders will be required to
meet conditions set out in their lease and be responsible to the freeholder. Causing a nuisance can result in the lease being invalid. If this is the correct situation then your path to silence is clear. As above if the neighbour fails to address what might be a simple problem then invoking all the correct procedures. (chris watson) will cost her dear. I would use it as a bargaining tool. I know this stuff as I have some leaseholds and my Mrs is a barrister. good luck centralheatking and let us know how it pans out.

Reply to Neighbour refusing to fix her noisy Water supply pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock