Search the forum,

Discuss Negative head pump questions in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Found some great answers here but first time posting, go easy on me please 😋.

Looking to fit a salamander rp50tu shower pump to a gravity system. It's a 'universal' (negative head compatible) pump which will be going in the loft (2 story house) just below the bottom level of the cold water cistern. The hot water cylinder is all the way downstairs in the ground floor.

Just a couple of things I am unsure about after going through the manual, may be stupid questions so please bare with me but here goes -

1. The existing hot water supply for the pump (which used to feed an ancient relic pump that no longer works) is teed from a line that also supplies hot water to the other taps in upstairs bathrooms. Is there anything wrong with that? IE there's no danger that if other hot taps are opened while the pump is in operation, this could result in air being sucked into the pump? I realise I may be misunderstanding the basic physics of a gravity system here!

2. The manual shows a few different example setups but none seem to be mine exactly. Some of the examples dictate that air vents should be fitted to the outlets (not the inlets) from the shower pump before it heads down to the shower. I can't work out if this is required or not in this situation? If so, what are the correct type to look for?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed some light!

Pump need to be independently fed wether double, single, negative or positive and NOT teed in to.
Also make sure your mains water feed and tank size are sufficient - both hot/cold - that relying on boosted supply doesn't run dry..
Excellent pump purchase - designed to get your moneys worth.

Hi,

Found some great answers here but first time posting, go easy on me please 😋.

Looking to fit a salamander rp50tu shower pump to a gravity system. It's a 'universal' (negative head compatible) pump which will be going in the loft (2 story house) just below the bottom level of the cold water cistern. The hot water cylinder is all the way downstairs in the ground floor.

Just a couple of things I am unsure about after going through the manual, may be stupid questions so please bare with me but here goes -

1. The existing hot water supply for the pump (which used to feed an ancient relic pump that no longer works) is teed from a line that also supplies hot water to the other taps in upstairs bathrooms. Is there anything wrong with that? IE there's no danger that if other hot taps are opened while the pump is in operation, this could result in air being sucked into the pump? I realise I may be misunderstanding the basic physics of a gravity system here!

2. The manual shows a few different example setups but none seem to be mine exactly. Some of the examples dictate that air vents should be fitted to the outlets (not the inlets) from the shower pump before it heads down to the shower. I can't work out if this is required or not in this situation? If so, what are the correct type to look for?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed some light!

Hello! Thanks for choosing a Salamander Pump, if you have any questions you're best to give our technical team a call on 0191 516 2002, they will be more than happy to help you with the install!

Depends what you mean by teed. As Mira's preferred method is to tee off an angled section of the pipe between the vent and the cylinder. It's called an independent feed, but obviously there is a short shared section of pipe - typically around a foot in length.

Obviously, however, you need to install in a way that Salamander finds - at the least - acceptable, otherwise you'll void your warranty.

How low below the bottom of the tank are you thinking of fitting it? Make sure you adhere to the minimum distance in the M.I’s.

Its true, for 13 years I have always fitted Salamander and had brushed off the haters thinking it must be their installations but I have had a nightmare with them recently, phone rings and I'm dragged away from my job or my tea to go and sort out failed pumps and run around at my expense, well never again. Stuart Turner for me every time.

Its true, for 13 years I have always fitted Salamander and had brushed off the haters thinking it must be their installations but I have had a nightmare with them recently, phone rings and I'm dragged away from my job or my tea to go and sort out failed pumps and run around at my expense, well never again. Stuart Turner for me every time.
Hi Phil, this is really disappointing to hear. We would like to regain your confidence and sort out the issue you have had by looking into this for you. Can you please send us a DM on social media (@SalamanderPumps) with the pump serial number and a contact number? Thank you

Reply to Negative head pump questions in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock