Search the forum,

Discuss Need to do a HACK job on my toilet in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I've got an older toilet with a huge flush capacity so I'm trying to keep it rather than replacing it with a newer lower capacity toilet.

Problem is it's as old as the hills and the oval shaped rubber gasket between the tank and base has aged and water now leaks at that connection point when it's flushed.

I'm guessing what I need to fix the issue is some kind of flexible adhesive that bonds to ceramic. I believe where the two make contact the bottom is glazed and the tank isn't...so the adhesive would need to stick to both glazed and non-glazed ceramic.

Any suggestion for what kind of gasket maker adhesive to use? or advice in general on how to get this done? Thanks

any pictures of the old gasket ?

I tried to remove my tank to take pictures of the situation and was quickly reminded the last time I put it back together I laid down some caulk between it and the bottom, and it is now solidly attached, but apparently still not sealed. There's a decent chance I can work it loose, but that would involve possibly compromising the seal in the floor and I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

So for now I'd just like to lay in a good band of caulking or adhesive around the junction where I can get to it and see if that gets me by. Any suggestion for something that will likely fix this leak? Here's the junction I'll be trying to seal.

commode.JPG

Reply to Need to do a HACK job on my toilet in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock