Search the forum,

Discuss Need help writing up my portfolio. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All, newly registered to the forum but be aware of it for along time now. I know this has probably been posted before but there are thousands of threads and I just can't find the answer I'm looking for. so I apologise to you if this is a hindrance.

2 years ago I started my plumbing career. I've completed nearly everything and I'm now working towards my ACS. btw, yes its a fast track course. As an adult it is very difficult to get into the industry any other way. If I could have don't an apprenticeship I would have done, but here we are.

I have got about 90% of the evidence required to complete the portfolio. The problem I'm having is I don't know how to write it up. I know each boiler service/install has to be a bit like a story and explain what's in the pictures etc, I just don't know where to start. I'm not an academic person and I'm dyslexic (i had to google how to spell dyslexic just then). I work really hard, I try to do everything to the best of my ability, and I really try to do the job right.
The guys I've worked with to gain the evidence are a bit old school. They know their stuff but they've never had to do the portfolio or the written work.
I just need a little help. if anyone can give me an example, a template, talk me though what's going to be required or just point me in the right direction.
I would be so thankful.
can anyone please help?.

Hi Dan,
I am at a similar stage as yourself so I may not be correct however with regards to the portfolio pictures, I have simply been writing up exactly what is happening in each photo i.e. "taking working pressure at the appliance" , "completing a tightness test" etc., I'm trying to keep it as simple and direct as possible.

Best of luck with it.

Your training provider should have briefed you before starting your portfolio on the evidence requirements and how to present it.

However, I appreciate that that comment is not a lot of help to you now.

If you PM me I will send you a sample write up of the key parts of a job that needs to be included in your blue book and a sample write up of the attachment for the appendix relating to that job.

You may find it easier, to include more in the attachment than the blue book - it is much easier to correct it, if on submission the assessor requires changes or more detail.

Remember, for the installations in the portfolio, the focus needs to be on the gas side not the plumbing.

Have you completed your detailed method statements?

Last edited:
Hi Dan,
I am at a similar stage as yourself so I may not be correct however with regards to the portfolio pictures, I have simply been writing up exactly what is happening in each photo i.e. "taking working pressure at the appliance" , "completing a tightness test" etc., I'm trying to keep it as simple and direct as possible.

Best of luck with it.
Thank you for your reply and the advice. All the best to you.
[automerge]1579814738[/automerge]
Your training provider should have briefed you before starting your portfolio on the evidence requirements and how to present it.

However, I appreciate that that comment is not a lot of help to you now.

If you PM me I will send you a sample write up of the key parts of a job that needs to be included in your blue book and a sample write up of the attachment for the appendix relating to that job.

You may find it easier, to include more in the attachment than the blue book - it is much easier to correct it, if on submission the assessor requires changes or more detail.

Remember, for the installations in the portfolio, the focus needs to be on the gas side not the plumbing.

Have you completed your detailed method statements?
Hi Brambles,
thank you very much, I have done method statements but unsure if they are the right ones. How do I PM you?

A PM is just a mail message through the website

Who is your Logic training provider? You should have received three weeks of theory followed by an exam day, two weeks of practical followed by a 2 hour practical exam ( and a week of pipework skills training unless you can already demonstrate such skills) before commencing on the “Blue Book”. For Logic to award the MLP (required to take the ACS) - the Blue Book completion by both you and the training provider has to be spot on. It normally takes 3 weeks for your Blue Book submission to be reviewed before the training provider recommends to Logic to award you the MLP.

Last edited:
A PM is just a mail message through the website

Who is your Logic training provider? You should have received three weeks of theory followed by an exam day, two weeks of practical followed by a 2 hour practical exam ( and a week of pipework skills training unless you can already demonstrate such skills) before commencing on the “Blue Book”. For Logic to award the MLP (required to take the ACS) - the Blue Book completion by both you and the training provider has to be spot on. It normally takes 3 weeks for your Blue Book submission to be reviewed before the training provider recommends to Logic to award you the MLP.

Hi Brambles, I wasn't able to PM you for some reason. my email if you wish to speak via that is [email protected]

Yes my training was scheduled very much like you said, but I don't think I had 2 weeks practical. I've passed everything I have been ask so far. but only on the very last day for a short time, were we given any information about the blue book. The tutor I felt was very good during the theory but when it came to the blue book seemed to be very reluctant to give information about it. I have notes and photo evidence but do not now how to present it. I could write pages and pages about a boiler replacement or just title the photos of me working on a boiler change.
Any information you can give will be greatly received.
May I ask have you been trained in this format, that's why you know so much about it?

Many thanks
Dan

Dan,

Not sure why PM is not working - I will leave that for others to solve / fix.

I will send you two typical examples of what is expected (or the standard I believe is expected) by Logic.

How many days of tuition have you had with your training provider (only for the Gas DNGA3) so far? Logic will require to see a minimum of 26 days group classroom tuition.

With respect to the MLP knowledge, I am an accredited Assessor

The issues you describe of poor support from your training provider are sadly becoming increasingly common.

Last edited:
Dan,

Not sure why PM is not working - I will leave that for others to solve / fix.

I will send you two typical examples of what is expected (or the standard I believe is expected) by Logic.

How many days of tuition have you had with your training provider (only for the Gas DNGA3) so far? Logic will require to see a minimum of 26 days group classroom tuition.

With respect to the MLP knowledge, I am an accredited Assessor

The issues you describe of poor support from your training provider are sadly becoming increasingly common.
Can you please share the sample with me well

Thinking access to pm's may require a minimum number of posts first, but could be wrong.

Reply to Need help writing up my portfolio. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock