Search the forum,

Discuss Need diagram for combining wood burner,hw storage tank, ufh in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and I need advice, and a good schematic for combining a lot of components, so they will work the best.
So here are the main components:
  • 30kw wood burner
  • 1000 litres hot water storage tank
  • 200 litres DHW storage tank with 2 serpentines (one will be used for solar at a later date)
-105 litres expansion vessel
  • underfloor heating
  • thermostatic valve for boiler protection.
Things to consider:
-sometimes I will need to use the wood burner to heat only the dhw storage tank
-the wood burner has a controller, for both heating and dhw pumps.

I studied John Siegenthaler's schematics on the subject, with the closely spaced tees, for connecting the dhw storage, but can't integrate the option of heating only this tank, and not the 1ton (this will happen in fall and spring, when there's no need fir house heating, but there's always a need for dhw).
Thanks for reading, and please send a comment if you have any suggestions.

Your best bet would be to go back to the people who you bought the equipment from and get them to design the system for you.

In all honesty, you are asking an awful lot from experienced plumbers on this site, to design the system for you.

I should add, don't take offense, but your system design goes well beyond general plumbing advice.
With the system you want to install, there are too many things that could go catastrophically wrong.
It is beyond the realms to expect professional advice on the system you want installed.

You really need someone involved who has experience in what you are wanting to do

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to go back to the people who you bought the equipment from and get them to design the system for you.

In all honesty, you are asking an awful lot from experienced plumbers on this site, to design the system for you.

Thank you for your honest opinion; I hoped a schematic like this is already thought of and drawn... . I bought them from different places, also, most of the stores only sell

Thank you for your honest opinion; I hoped a schematic like this is already thought of and drawn... . I bought them from different places, also, most of the stores only sell
There are schematics available, although generic.
From my experience, very few installations are generic.
You have an uncontrollable heat source with different demands.
The tolerances with your system have to be thought through and installed accordingly, and the tolerances are far less than installing a gas boiler.
If it is done wrong, there can be major consequences.

I'm not sure of your capabilities, but it would be beneficial to you in contacting someone who can design, follow through, assist and / or oversee the installation.

I get what you are trying to do, but giving advice over a Plumbing Forum could spell disaster.

This forum is great and assists people when they can, but this situation could be lethal.

Oz

Thank you both, for sharing your concerns. I will let a plumber handle this, but I am pretty sure that I won't find someone to do the installation different from the simplest possible way, and that's why I need a clever schematic; I read a few of John Siegenthaler's articles and got the feeling there's more to it than the manufacturer's diagram. I am asking for the ”generic" drawing, that includes the stated components, with the option to heat only the dhw.

Have a look at the h2 panel / system for some decent drawings etc

Reply to Need diagram for combining wood burner,hw storage tank, ufh in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock