Search the forum,

Discuss Need Advice on Smart Thermostatic Valve compatibility in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, a newbie here with relatively little experience. We have a central heating system fitted with TSV's (thermostatic valves) on all radiators. It is controlled by a Honeywell ST799 controller, which is attached to a Glow Worm Ultimate 40 FF boiler. The system has no main thermostat. I want to be able to fit Smart thermostatic radiator valves to control the heating in each room. Is the controller/system compatible? And any recommendations if it is.

Last edited:
Well, the st799 is just a basic on/off programmer for the boiler.

I haven’t fitted smart trv’s but can’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work.

The st799 would still control when the whole heating circuit is on. The trv’s smart or not, just allow heat to that particular rad.

What smart trv’s you looking at?

Well, the st799 is just a basic on/off programmer for the boiler.

I haven’t fitted smart trv’s but can’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work.

The st799 would still control when the whole heating circuit is on. The trv’s smart or not, just allow heat to that particular rad.

What smart trv’s you looking at?
i've not really looked as yet, hence why I'm asking for recommendations. One of my friends has got Honeywell ones.

i've not really looked as yet, hence why I'm asking for recommendations. One of my friends has got Honeywell ones.
I personally can’t see the need for smart trv’s. Once you’ve got the manual ones set for a comfortable temperature within the room it’s located (each maybe slightly different to take into account thermal losses), you shouldn’t really need to fiddle with it.

You’re paying extra for a smart trv, which you shouldn’t need to fiddle with and which will break/need replacing (like any trv but at a higher cost) eventually.

If you want slightly more overall control, just get a wireless thermostat to control the whole system.

I personally can’t see the need for smart trv’s. Once you’ve got the manual ones set for a comfortable temperature within the room it’s located (each maybe slightly different to take into account thermal losses), you shouldn’t really need to fiddle with it.

You’re paying extra for a smart trv, which you shouldn’t need to fiddle with and which will break/need replacing (like any trv but at a higher cost) eventually.

If you want slightly more overall control, just get a wireless thermostat to control the whole system.
problem with that is, we're in rented accomodation and not allowed to fit a wireless thermostat. that's why we're looking at smart trv's which we are allowed to fit.

problem with that is, we're in rented accomodation and not allowed to fit a wireless thermostat. that's why we're looking at smart trv's which we are allowed to fit.
Cool, that sounds reasonable. I don’t see much of a benefit apart from maybe bedrooms where you may want a lower temp during bedtime.

However, if you’d like a bit more control, yes smart trv’s would work.

You’ll have to ensure that the smart heads you buy, will match/or come with converters for your current trv bodies or they won’t fit.

Do you know which trv’s you currently have? Or you could post a couple of pics of them and someone here will be able to identify them.

Cool, that sounds reasonable. I don’t see much of a benefit apart from maybe bedrooms where you may want a lower temp during bedtime.

However, if you’d like a bit more control, yes smart trv’s would work.

You’ll have to ensure that the smart heads you buy, will match/or come with converters for your current trv bodies or they won’t fit.

Do you know which trv’s you currently have? Or you could post a couple of pics of them and someone here will be able to identify them.
They are all like this.

Attachments

• IMG_6185.jpg
    IMG_6185.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 6
not a complete pro at this, do you mean unscrew it at the base?
Yes, the base of the head is a “nut”, that should be unscrewable by hand. Once unscrewed you should see the body/valve pin. I want a pic of the valve body, preferably side on. I said side on, really meant front on.

Set the head to the highest number (6?) when unscrewing/screw back on.

Yes, the base of the head is a “nut”, that should be unscrewable by hand. Once unscrewed you should see the body/valve pin. I want a pic of the valve body, preferably side on. I said side on, really meant front on.

Attachments

• Image (1).jpeg
    Image (1).jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 6

looking at pics of the valencia classic, i'd say they are.

Looks like Valencia body. Honeywell evohome should work.

Check out this link and follow the instructions on how to measure and confirm.

Reply to Need Advice on Smart Thermostatic Valve compatibility in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock