Search the forum,

Discuss Need advice on Cold water tank size please, long post sorry in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AdrianH

The water system in my house is a mix of direct feed on the cold side, but still having a 50 gal cold water tank in the loft feeding the bottom of the water cylinder and a Mira 327 shower.

The Ferham plastic tank has sprung a leak, temporally sealed with a type of evo stick wet glue!

The problem I have is the old tank will not go through the loft access without cutting it up and getting a new one in is just as bad. Loft hole is 520 mm x 530 mm. The old tank is 1110 mm x 600 mm x 500 mm. The platform in the loft is 1.2 metres long and will not accept much more in size so a long coffin tank is out of the question.

My question is this, with a reasonable mains water pressure, and the fact the cold water system is not all indirect feed, just for the hot water and one shower, do you think I could manage with a 42 gal tank? Or is the 50 gal a must?

Cheers

Adrian

Yes you should be alright with the 42 gallon tank, unless youve got a big family and you are likely to have the washing machine, dishwasher, running a bath, flushing the toilet and having a shower at the same time. I would suggest studying the tank at the busyest time of day in your house, i.e the whole family are using baths, showers and appliances and see if the tank gets near to emptying quicker than it can fill up. I bet it wont get more than 3/4 empty in which case you will be OK for the 42.

Agree with Mark,should be ok,the only time really may be a problem is if you run the hot and cold bath taps on full to fill the bath,could be you will only get 1/2 of a bath before hot slows(which is all most people want anyway)but if you run about 3/4 flow or hot then cold taps you should be ok
Some new developements I have seen all colds on mains and hot cylinder supplied by 20 gal tank only,with good mains supply fills as used... ish

OK sounds promising, thanks for the responses. I have never watched the tank to see how empty it gets during normal use, just nervous now that I need a new tank.

Thanks again

Adrian

Shouldn't be nervous Adrian, if loft space around tank and associated pipework is good and with a good plumber it shouldn't be more than half a days work if all went well.

Hi Adrian. To improve the fill rate, to overcome the reduced volume fit a equilibrium ball valve the fill rate will be 10 fold of a standard ball valve. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need advice on Cold water tank size please, long post sorry in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock