Search the forum,

Discuss Name of a tool - plumbing jargon?? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

The new cylinder I'm installing has 1 inch BSP male connections to the indirect coil. The 1 inch BSP female to 22mm compression adapter I'm fitting has a 1.5 inch across the flats hexagon. As the tank is foam insulated I can't use my big shifting spanner, I need a box spanner or socket spanner, which I don't have and don't look that easy to obtain on a Sunday.

Is there a special plumbing jargon name for such a tool please?

Nope, box spanner is a correct term. As is socket spanner, but a Bosnian spanner might be best, unless anyone has any better solutions?

What’s a Bosnian spanner?

OP yes a box spanner or deep socket are good tools for this; sometimes it is necessary to cut away some insulation - this can be replaced afterwards.

Thanks for replies.
I improvised a box spanner from a bit of thickish walled steel tube I had kicking around. Rough as a badgers bum, but it worked.

Attachments

• rough.jpg
    rough.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Name of a tool - plumbing jargon?? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Optimistic
I am renovating a house, which currently has no plumbing. Attached is the design for the house. I'm getting a plumber to fit the boiler and core central heating zones. I am fitting the bathroom, kitchen and radiators. I was planning to use PEX, but I am struggling with availability of...
Replies
Views
Hello! I'm Canadian so you may wonder what I'm doing on a UK plumbing forum. I'm basically just here to learn the British term for a tool that I've seen recommended in American plumbing videos. As you probably don't know, Canada has a curious mix of terminologies at times and sometimes we use...
Replies
Views
Hi, As some of you are aware, I am currently stuck in Italy running a shop that has nothing to do with plumbing :( Yesterday I thought I'd got most of what I needed to get done by lunchtime and was able to take the rest of the day 'off' (which actually means try to get done the things that are...
Replies
Views
I know very little about plumbing, so I'm not even sure what to ask for and I may use the wrong descriptions of items, so apologies if so. I've done some searching online, but not entirely sure what I need to get. I recently moved into a house that has a gas outlet on the deck. I bought a...
Replies
Views
I need such a spanner to remove a failed IH, and to install a replacement; in a domestic hot water cylinder made by Opus (Cyprus). I am aware that in general the distance across the flats may vary somewhat from brand to brand, despite all having 1.5" BSP threads. In my case, both old and new IH...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock