Search the forum,

Discuss Mystery Leak from New Loo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tilly

Hi,

I'm hoping someone may be able to suggest a solution for a leaking loo, as my plumber seems to have reached the end of the road with this problem.

He installed a new cloakroom suite for me some weeks ago ("Darlington" by TC Bathrooms). After installation the w.c. was flushed several times and it appeared to be in working order with no sign of leakage. However, a couple of days later we noticed water leaking out from beneath the pan. The leak only happens when the loo is flushed, and the area around the connection into the wall is absolutely bone dry. The area under the pan is completely enclosed so it is impossible to see where the water is coming from. The plumber reinstalled the w.c. twice to no avail. Each time the leak recurred after the loo was flushed several times.

I contacted the manufacturer who said that the problem could be (1) the w.c. was connected improperly, or (2) the pan could be "porous".
The manufacturer told me to contact the supplier to arrange a replacement. They also sent me a connector to use with the w.c.

To cut a long story short, the replacement pan also started leaking after 2-3 days of use. Both the supplier and the manufacturer are saying it is impossible that both pans could be faulty.

The plumber I used has decades of experience and has an excellent reputation locally. He has done various other plumbing/bathroom projects for me with no problem. He just cannot work out what is wrong with this loo.

The time lag after the pan was installed makes me suspect that there may be a flaw in the glazing, that water is working its way into the pottery with each flush, and starts leaking out when it reaches a critical mass (but what do I know?).

I would really appreciate it if anyone could offer any advice.

Sounds like another dodgey pan -it does happen, could have dropped the pallet at the warehouse for all you know, doubt its your plumber.

Hi Take it out, put it on a glass coffee table or a like and see whats happening. Good Luck

had a pan with a hairline and i mean harline crack flush the loo water on the floor had it in and out must be 10 times

I had this problem about a week ago, a customer bought the toilet from B & Q and for the life of me I couldn't stop the leak. I was pulling my hair out (seriously) it nearly made a grown man (apparently) cry.

I agree, I doubt its your plumber and agree that if you've changed the syphon for a better quality one then its another duff cistern. I feel for you and your plumber. I became blinkered to the problem, its the cistern....

problem with the back to wall style now is you cant see a bloody thing old style its easy to get your head round to see where water coming from
first thing manufacturers say is it must be installed wrong

recently fitted a bathroom suite from Next, of all places.

had a leak from the toilet that i just couldnt solve.replaced cistern and same prob occured. ended up being the flimsy doughnut washer they supplied being useless so replaced with a nice thick rubber one that cost 2 quid. so if behind your pan is concealed and u cant see the source of the leak, this could be the problem.

i agree, i doubt its your plumber and althugh it could be a faulty pan i think that this is unlikely, i would tend to agree with the comment above and say it is the rubber connection between pan and cistern also known as the "doughnut".
i would tend to try changing that first as they can when fitted move and then become distorted as the cistern is bolted to the pan. good luck

i thought that with mine and used so much silicon i nearly passed out but the crack was barely noticeable and looked no more than a light hair on the pan but must have been all the way through

Yes it could be a distorted dodgey dougnut disaster (Lol!) although i'm sure the old boy knows the score on those by now. The occasional joys of plumbing..Good luck!

Tilly,

if possible once its sorted please come back and let us know what the problem was.........;)

You could I suppose take pan out sit on dry paper fill with water and see if the paper gets wet?

Use fluorescence dye in pan, don't flush, at least it should tell you if its the flush or the pan?

You could do a small scale mini smoke test? Take pan outside and seal all holes, perhaps with PRS tape or similar, get a small gas flue pellet and place in container as smoke can seem to stain none glazed areas if in direct contact. Light pellet and place in pan. If smoke comes out it should tell you something.

I would do the first two rather than the last one, it may void any pan guarantees.

Good Fortune.

Well you do not say if you replaced cistern as well as pan
If leak only occuring when cistern flushed,pan should be sound,unless leaking at top rear of pan through crack which not common,but if clock room you will have another w/c so do not use trouble w/c for a few days just to check pan not leaking
the plumber is well experianced and would have checked joints however if nothing obvious pack toilet roll tissue around cistern were joining pan,at back bottom of cistern were it meets wal and around inlet and soil outlet and see were gets damp
Two things I would check also is that ball valve in cistern is not spraying or sending part spray to rear of cistern and splashing down back
and the other thing is maybe it is not the w/c but coming from basin when used a small drip from waste,taps or water splashed from basin could run/trickle along floor and collect around pan,once leak at pan,the pan would suck water towards it though capillary action,then as basin not being used leak stops,water trail dries and you are left with only water around pan,could be a small leak on rad,or pipe doing same thing

its jobs like this that make us looooove plumbing :);)

The OP has said the plumber has decades of experience and a good reputation, this tells me that he will have changed that doughnut twice already, if it leaks when flushed its the first thing you try anyway? :confused:

could be condensation ? - is this likely - u mentioned about glazing and water dripping - could be as simple as that -
most leaks from loos like this would usually be that the wax seal under the toilet has become cracked - when the toilet was replaced was the seal wax aswell replaced ?
tho i would have thought an experienced plumber would of done this but just trying to give ideas -

oh whenu get it sorted i would love to know wot it was - cheers- and good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
take the pan out put a drain bag in the outlet and fill to brim with water should find any cracks if you leave the flush pipe connector and flush cone in ite can be to the brim

also check its not leaking near the flush connecter a crack there is hard to find and yes ive had it happen and yes that takes a while to show

I had this problem about a week ago, a customer bought the toilet from B & Q and for the life of me I couldn't stop the leak. I was pulling my hair out (seriously) it nearly made a grown man (apparently) cry.

I agree, I doubt its your plumber and agree that if you've changed the syphon for a better quality one then its another duff cistern. I feel for you and your plumber. I became blinkered to the problem, its the cistern....

oh dont mention b&q i recently fitted a bathroom suite from b and q wasnt the cheapest suite neither i fitted this toilet and after a day it started leaking i from the nuts where the cistern sat on the pan i checked all the washers were fine re fitted still the same problem and with plumbing not being my main trade the customer was feeling abit uneasy eventually went to a local plumbers merchants and changed all the washers thankfully problem solved for now

oh dont mention b&q i recently fitted a bathroom suite from b and q wasnt the cheapest suite neither i fitted this toilet and after a day it started leaking i from the nuts where the cistern sat on the pan i checked all the washers were fine re fitted still the same problem and with plumbing not being my main trade the customer was feeling abit uneasy eventually went to a local plumbers merchants and changed all the washers thankfully problem solved for now

ive found that b &q stuff is generally crap ive had cystens with curved fronts and straight handles ,link arms that hit the lid ,seat that wont stay up even on the furthest adjustment, seats so flimsy they wont stay on the list goes on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mystery Leak from New Loo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock