Search the forum,

Discuss Mysterious Running Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help with a problem I've encountered....which is baffling me (and a few of the other plumbers I’ve asked)! A builder who I've done some work for asked me to have a look at his kitchen tap....because he said that when he runs the bath, which is upstairs, the kitchen tap starts running downstairs. I will admit I was a little skeptical at first….but after checking it, it was true.

The kitchen tap is working correctly and before I start taking things apart I wondered if any one has any ideas:bulb2:, or opinions:rolleyes2: on it.

I’m guessing that it is something to do with pressure/balancing, but he has a combi boiler….so don’t see why it could be happening.

My first though was to put check valves on the bathroom taps to see if that work, and if not, take the kitchen tap apart and check that!

All opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The reduction in pressure is causing the kitchen tap ceramic valve to open slightly allowing a flow of water

common issue with ceramic taps, I tend to find it is on higher pressure systems that slam when one tap is turned off elsewhere in the house knocking the other tap open, definitely not a drop in pressure causing it. Try fitting a prv and some shock arrestors around the property if prv fails to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gassafe and Lame Plumber,

I'd just like to say thank you for your replies and advice to my little dilema. Sorry its taken me so long to reply.

Hi Chris Watkins,

Fair point.....I now consider myself well and truly chastised.....ha ha ha. I'm off round there this Tuesday to sort it out so I'll update on the forum when I've resolved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mysterious Running Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock