Search the forum,

Discuss My new basin doesn't look white! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matherine100

We've just had a shower room fitted with units and sanitary ware from a fairly well known and definitely not cheap supplier. The basin is semi-recessed into a vanity unit with a loo right next to it, and the basin and the toilet look to be a completely different colour. I asked for a replacement basin and they were helpful and sent me one but it isn't any better. The room is all white so no strange reflections, yet there's something strange going on so that if you hold the basin down next to the loo it looks reasonably white, yet as soon as you lift it up to where the existing basin is, it's a kind of biscuity-pinky-"champagne" colour. I've had a sales rep out, and I had to agree that the loo and basin could well match, in bright light it was very difficult to tell the difference when they were held next to each other, so he thinks job done, just a trick of the light. BUT I still don't think this happens with other sanitary ware! I have porcelain pots in the bathroom and they don't change colour depending on where they are in the room, I've even tried some very cheap kitchen bowls and they don't change either.
Has anyone else ever come across this?
Looking at the back of the replacement basin the unglazed colour is quite biscuity, so I think it must be an issue with the glaze, when there isn't a lot of light bouncing off it you can see the biscuity colour through. I can't believe that all basins do this, and if I could have found one from somewhere else that would fit into the gap I would buy it but I haven't found one yet so I seem to be stuck with this one and it really ruins the look of the bathroom.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have had it before with lighting. The warmer colour lights, especially spot lights can make things look yellow, £2.99 on a cool white bulb can often cure it.

This may not be what your issue is though but sounds like it if it looks the same colour when it is next to the toilet

Thanks for the reply - it happens in natural light too. We have a skylight which more or less in between the loo and basin, and a window which is nearer the loo - I've covered that over to see if it helps but it still doesn't stop the loo looking whiter.

Different manufacturers? Or all from the same suite? i.e. did you mix and match?

Same manufacturer, and the same range from that manufacturer.

I think that it's possible they are actually the same, from my experiments with the replacement basin, but surely there must be a fault somewhere for them to change colour depending on the position? It's not just that one's a bit darker as it's in a darker corner, it goes a completely different colour - my builder described it as "beige".
I would really like someone to say "oh yes, all sanitary ware does that" so I could just relax and do nothing, but I really think there must be a fault.

Don't worry yourself about it, if the pan and basin are identical in coloue when side by side, there's an issue with lighting/position of basin
You could research it till the cows come home and still be none the wiser
Forget about it and you wont notice it after a while

I've come across it before, light reflecting of another surface giving a bath a slightly different appearance then the rest of the suite

Thanks, you're probably right, and I keep thinking it myself. Until I walk into the bathroom and see the basin again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My new basin doesn't look white! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock