Search the forum,

Discuss My kitchen sink plug whole stinks, is this a proper under sink setup? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening. I’ll start by being honest, I’ve no idea with plumbing, I’ll understand basic concepts but...
The house I’ve bought has a kitchen with the below photo of underside of the sink. In a morning or at occasions where it’s been left for a while when water (or whatever really) is drained off, the drain produces a horrid smell. But I’ve no idea if this is a basic kitchen sink set up, I don’t really have the option with going round to a friends place to compare with COVID going on.

The lack of U bend makes me thing that’s what causes the smell, but like I said I’ve no clue. The drainage pipe simply goes to the outside brick wall and into a drain.
Would it be a case of simply getting a U bend and some flexor piping? Any help or just pure banter is welcome. I have used drain cleaner btw
8FFF9B9F-C4B9-48E5-9896-AA78386CBBD0.jpeg

The bottle trap has been fitted instead of an U-bend (often seen), must agree with moonlights comments above though. The back board will need to be cut away or removed to find the end of the flexi. The bottom of the bottle trap looks like it unscrews so should be able to remove it and clean it out as a start point for now.

Reply to My kitchen sink plug whole stinks, is this a proper under sink setup? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, For quite some time now I've been getting quite bad sewage type smells after using my washing machine. I also get water coming up through the kitchen sink when the washing machine drains along with the bad smell. I've read that where the washing machine waste pipe joins the main pipe under...
Replies
Views
Hello I live in Spain, on the 4rth Floor (last floor) of an older building. I was so happy to get an upper floor,cause I know the low floors often suffer from smelly problems here However I sometimes have a horrible smell in my kitchen...a smell that suddenly comes up...AND on top it always...
Replies
Views
There is no smell coming out of my sink plughole, never has been. There are no water leaks in the piping and U-bend under my sink. Have tried on several occasions using very strong drain un-blocker and odour remover, to remove smell, but has not worked. Sink plughole never blocks up and water...
Replies
Views
Mr P Wilson
M
P
Hi all I am looking for some advice; I am new to all this, so please take that into account if I do not explain myself very well. I have recently had my kitchen redone; a number of challenges have occurred along the way; not least a smell of eggs coming out of the kitchen when the washing...
Replies
Views
M
Grr… second time at this post after computer wiped the first one! Right, I’ve just moved into a new house – the house is not new (30y/o) but it is to us, as of last weekend. I’ll be honest and say I know little/nothing about heating as I’ve always treated as a gas system (leave alone) rather...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock