Search the forum,

Discuss My gas central heating uses a lot of electricity - Why? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

E

ElBenio

I have gas fired central heating and hot water system. It is on a timer, but, in winter, I leave the central heating on and the thermostat set low - 17c. I'm well insulated so the heating comes on infrequently but enough to keep the house warm enough for a family of three.

Here's the problem. I started noticing that my electric use monitor would go red for no apparent reason but for minutes. When it did, I searched the house for the offender - no obvious culprit. I started to switch off the fuses on the fuse box, and when I switched off the central heating loop, it stopped. Turned it on and it started using electricity again. At this time, the central heating was not on, nor was the hot water.

Just to be clear, it is definitely a gas fired system. :)

Does anyone have any ideas?

A smart meter? If so does it give an indication of the power it’s using when the heating circuit is switched on at the consumer unit?

Reply to My gas central heating uses a lot of electricity - Why? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock