Search the forum,

Discuss My double flush toilet has developed a fault. It won't stop filling eve when I pull the float arm right up. I have replaced the inlet valve diaphragm in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My double flush toilet has developed a fault. It won't stop filling eve when I pull the float arm right up. I have replaced the inlet valve diaphragm but this has made no difference
What else can i try?

New fill valve

Pic of valve

IMG_20211011_161147.jpg

Thanks. What adjustment is available? Lifting the float arm right up doesn't shut off the flow so no point adjusting the float
The only adjustment is the float arm, I’ve had some that don’t shut off when fully up, try a gradual lift (as this is how it would shut off) and see if that works.

Could be the equilibrium chamber isn't sealing when the arm is lifting and so it won't shut off. Debris on the rubber bit that seals the equilibrium chamber that forces the diaphagm to shut? If you don't have a clue what I'm on about, better to replace the valve really, and, realistically, modern fill valves are highly strung affairs that you sometimes can't see anything wrong with - and yet...

Also sometimes those Armitage Shanks valves don't seal with low water pressure, so if you've shut down any stopcocks or isolators recently, try opening them again.

The only adjustment is the float arm, I’ve had some that don’t shut off when fully up, try a gradual lift (as this is how it would shut off) and see if that works.
Yes! I've had an AS fill valve that wouldn't re-seal if it opened up with an already full cistern - it only shut off with a gradual lift from an empty cistern.

To be annoying. (I suppose it also helps alert the homeowner to a dripping flush valve).

Fluidmaster pro fill valve with brass shank

Thanks guys. I've already replaced the rubber thingy to no avail. Do I just need to replace the whole unit? Are they easy to get the right model?
No, the other rubber bit no one ever talks about. Which is not a common failure, but in theory it could.

You can replace the whole unit if you like. Most fill valves are universal - you just need a bottom inlet model that will physically fit that cistern. We all have our favourite brands if you care to search what we've previously discussed on the forum, but let's start that one up again as it's boring, basically.

EDIT - Shaun, you beat me to it. But I'm not taking part.

Yep less chance of cross threading when it comes to the bottom nut

My double flush toilet has developed a fault. It won't stop filling eve when I pull the float arm right up. I have replaced the inlet valve diaphragm but this has made no difference
What else can i try?
Replace the valve as the diaphragm has not been fitted properly.
There must be water coming from the pin so that it builds up pressure on the - side of the valve so that it shuts off

Reply to My double flush toilet has developed a fault. It won't stop filling eve when I pull the float arm right up. I have replaced the inlet valve diaphragm in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock