Search the forum,

Discuss My combi boiler keeps coming on even when the remote thermostat is turned off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Samranda

Over the last 2-3 weeks for no apparent reason, my boiler has started turning itself on (mostly at night) even if the thermostat for the central heating is completely switched off.

Can someone explain this. My boiler is Worcester 24i Junior
Thanks

New install??
Is it coming on then going off or warming as if the heating is on??

Put it in eco mode and see if that solves it, they do come on every so often when not in eco mode.
Although it will take longer for your tap water to get hot when you use a hot tap.

Yes it is. The thermostat receiver is showing a green light when the heating is coming on and then red when it switches off but the thermostat remote is completely switched off as it was all summer

Yes it is. The thermostat receiver is showing a green light when the heating is coming on and then red when it switches off but the thermostat remote is completely switched off as it was all summer

Sounds like frost protection.

Could be something as simple as changing the batteries in the remote unit. They might be on the way out and causing the unit to send an on signal when it's not meant to.

Because some comb boilers, although not having a 'tank' do have a small hot water 'cache' they keep hot 24/7, so they will fire up at random times to do this. You can disable this feature using the set up menu as I have done. The down side of doing this is that is seems to take forever to get hot water so you waste more water in 'run off' and pay your water supply company for the privilege, before you get the hot water you want. You cant win, the utility companies win, but that's what they are for, to supply cash dividends to pension companies so anyone who has an occupational pension, all the local authority employees and MP's for example, will continue to get a good pension at your expense!

Because some comb boilers, although not having a 'tank' do have a small hot water 'cache' they keep hot 24/7, so they will fire up at random times to do this. You can disable this feature using the set up menu as I have done. The down side of doing this is that is seems to take forever to get hot water so you waste more water in 'run off' and pay your water supply company for the privilege, before you get the hot water you want. You cant win, the utility companies win, but that's what they are for, to supply cash dividends to pension companies so anyone who has an occupational pension, all the local authority employees and MP's for example, will continue to get a good pension at your expense!

Hello Nikki, I liked your reply so much I joined up. I think the term for that 'cache' you mentioned is 'eco mode' or DHW (Domestic Hot Water) preheat. But dont forget that guy up there ^ could be right, it could be the frost protection, particularly if the boiler is sited in an unheated space like the loft or in the garage. And dont forget it does not have to be a frosty night for it to come on either as frost protection does come on above zero degrees to protect itself from freezing up, I mean if it waited that long the damage would be done and it would all be a bit silly to heat up a cracked heat exchanger now wouldn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
And then there was 2. lol
One for app to sort out?

Last edited:

Hello Nikki, I liked your reply so much I joined up. But I would say that frost protection does come on above zero degrees of course so dont expect a frosty night before the boiler runs to protect itself from freezing up.

Talking to yourself? Must be lonely under that bridge... Beware Adam, our new Billy Goat Gruff....

Billy Goat Gruff?
You know that might just work mas until he`s unleashed!

If it is the heating coming on, could be batteries or as I have had a few times now some one else is on the same frequency they are switching yous and you will be switching theirs on at times , just needs the frequency changing in the remote and receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My combi boiler keeps coming on even when the remote thermostat is turned off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I am somewhat confused. My daughter has a combi boiler bought 2-3 years ago and has it timed to come on in morning for an hour and at night for a few hours using "auto"? mode I had been brought up to leave boilers on manual and set the thermostat low at night to prevent pipes from...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, The outlet of all my radiators are at 55°C, but the boiler keep showing the Return Temperature is 60°C (and keep raising at 1°C/min rate) Also the flow temperature keeps going up above the set point and when it reaches +5°C above the set point, the boiler shuts down (even before the room...
Replies
Views
Renato
R
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a Vaillant eco boiler at a new house I moved into last week. It’s a combo boiler and the last boiler I had was old (and much easier to use!) This one keeps turning itself off. The hot water seems to work and is always warm. The heating also works but for random amounts of time...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am wondering if it's worth turning on the optimum start and stop features? There is also something called TPI (chronoproportional control) but I'm not sure how...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock