Search the forum,

Discuss Multimeter recommendations? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Do I really need to spend £150 on a fluke for general fault finding?

All my testers read capacitance and other readings but then we work on oil burners so the added functions are ideal. As Murdoch says if you're only reading voltages, resistance and continuity etc you don't need to spend lots but it depends on what you're checking.

I bought a Fluke 116 about 10 yrs ago and it has been brilliant. Accurate, easy to use and covers almost everything you could need to check voltage, resistance, continuity , temp etc. As with all tools you can buy quality once, if you need too. Or just pick up a cheap equivalent if you don't think you will use it much.

I have an Extech which is pretty good, had minor issues with the battery compartment (think it was more to do with me) paid about £35 for it. I also have an Amprobe (fluke owned company) again it’s good, but what you might need to make sure of is the resistance value range - a certain baxi Spark generator coil resistance for instance has a resistance value of about 3M ohms, some multimeters like my Amprobe only go up to 2M ohms. Amprobe cost me £20 from eBay (new).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything waterproof and in a rubber case, oh and a big display with backlight is handy if you’re approaching 50 a little quicker than you’d like.
ive got a basic fluke, cost about £90 maybe 5 years ago.

Fluke 116.
It will test AC/DC Voltages, LoZ, Ohms, temp (although not accurate on mine it will serve a purpose), capacitance, mV, uA, continuity etc. A lot of the things a Heating/HVAC engineer will need it for are covered with that.
I use a few other things too but it depends on the work you do.
The 116 is not cheap but I think it is worth every penny. When it finally fails, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another the same.

Sounds like for what you need any £10/£15 multimeter will do.
I wouldn't use meters at that end of the market for any voltages above about 30V. If you're using test equipment on mains voltages it needs to be capable of withstanding surges, have good quality insulation, etc. all of which add to the cost. My advice is to stick to good quality brands from reliable sources.

I have an extech multimeter, uni-t with clamp and fluke voltage leads

Fluke T5 Multifunction Tester I have these not cheap but I was lucky as the ones I was given when at gas force were recalled and they gave me these ones a lot more expensive than my originals​

I wouldn't use meters at that end of the market for any voltages above about 30V. If you're using test equipment on mains voltages it needs to be capable of withstanding surges, have good quality insulation, etc. all of which add to the cost. My advice is to stick to good quality brands from reliable sources.
I’ve always been told not to use cheap electrical equipment due to the lack/quality of safety features. I’ve wanted to do the Baxi course for quite a while but can’t get in.

I do love trades people. I’ve got one guy recommending a £10-£15 multi and another recommending a £180 one. Horses for courses I suppose. Cheers chaps

From what you said you wanted to use it for a cheapo will do it. Some people will tell you you should buy a Mercedes or go on holiday to Monaco, but I’ve had plenty of fun in the back of a cortina in Cromer!

From what you said you wanted to use it for a cheapo will do it. Some people will tell you you should buy a Mercedes or go on holiday to Monaco, but I’ve had plenty of fun in the back of a cortina in Cromer!
Bloody Cortina lol Im sure my old man had one of those. Cheers for your input

Bloody Cortina lol Im sure my old man had one of those. Cheers for your input
I had one and I liked it. Excellent gear box. Plenty of space under the bonnet to work on it. Good clearance between valves and pistons so a snapped cam belt was a thirty minute repair that cost a tenner in parts.

I had one and I liked it. Excellent gear box. Plenty of space under the bonnet to work on it. Good clearance between valves and pistons so a snapped cam belt was a thirty minute repair that cost a tenner in parts.
CAM belt? none of the Cortina's I had even thought about a CAM belt, in fact they where not overhead cam except the Lotus variant I had the twin 40DCOE's did get in the way of the distributor cap though, showing my age I suppose.

This is not always a bad thing - twice at £10 is better than once at £180 if the tool does the job you require of it !!!!!!
The Testo 760-1 can be bought for under £100.00 and will do more that a £10.00 version including not blow up if you have the leads in the wrong way around, which is the major thing that normally spells their demise.

Can you tell i'm bored today, been stuck in since March, only ventured out once to go fishing in the middle of last year, now it's too cold to even do that, but the season has ended anyway.

I too am bored. Bloody COVID. 4 months work in the last 9 months is really taking it’s toll. I’m currently home schooling 2 little ones.

Got 1 last year - auto ranging - all good - didn't break the bank.

Reply to Multimeter recommendations? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days it's increased whilst cold...is this a regular problem.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock