Search the forum,

Discuss multimeter recommendations please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratrace

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello gents!

I need a multimeter and would like some recommendations. Know quite a few people that use one they have picked up from aldi, hinting that the price of them isn't really a issue. Thanks!

I would of thought so due to the price of the ones i have seen. There kind of the upper limits of what id have(?) to pay.

I use fluke myself but ya could try alphatec which I heard are pretty good

Hello gents!

I need a multimeter and would like some recommendations. Know quite a few people that use one they have picked up from aldi, hinting that the price of them isn't really a issue. Thanks!
depends what you are using it for, if it is only for boiler fault finding and CH wiring issues or if you are testing circuits for issues such a insulation resistance which will require a meter capable of doing more that a 9v resistance check.

Will be strictly for fault finding and wiring.
just been on the course for basic fault finding so have some idea whats best
look for one thats auto ranging draper do one for around Ā£50 which seemed to be quite good and not to big as youll be wanting to wedge it in line of sight whilst working on boilers

One like this?

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-78997-Autoranging-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B000ELJ0G0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1266163813&sr=8-5]Draper 78997 Autoranging Digital Multimeter: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]

Wickes do a perfectly adequate multi meter for around Ā£20-00, with a nice yellow exterior (cann't lose it) and the screen is really big so even I can see the figures without me specs. Sparkies buy flukes with all their money and because its their main testing tool, my old wickes has served me well to date.

The money saved can be spent on the proper tools ie core drills, thats where you can save time and money.

Last edited by a moderator:
just been on the course for basic fault finding so have some idea whats best
look for one thats auto ranging draper do one for around Ā£50 which seemed to be quite good and not to big as youll be wanting to wedge it in line of sight whilst working on boilers

Which course stevetheplumber? any good?

I have bought digital multimeters in the past for Ā£5 from Maplins. They are CE marked so should be safe and have all the functions you are likely to need. Not Autoranging though. Worth trying out a cheap one to see if it does what you want.

Which course stevetheplumber? any good?
baxi do three days basic electric combi something and diagnostics well worth the cost get in now cos its going up from 50 to 75 a day soon nice dinner and a couple of freebies as well

i have a fluke auto range meter and its great but i was working on a job today and my fluke was upstairs and the customer gave me his 20 year old martindale (one with just 4 lights on) and it was brilliant, so easy to use does ac and dc without having to change settings! doesnt do ohms or continuity though but for voltage checking i dont think you could do better and i think they still sell them for about 40 quid. Im getting one!!

Got a auto ranging one out of parts centre today for just under Ā£20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to multimeter recommendations please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock