Search the forum,

Discuss Multifuel stove with back boiler problems in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Looking for some advice please.

I have just recently moved into a cottage with an old back boiler system and an Esse muti fuel stove, and I seem to be getting nothing but problems with it.

The main thing is getting the radiators to come on and stay on. Most of the time I can have a blazing fire on and the radiators will come on for 5 mins or so then go back off again. They will then take another 45 minutes or so before coming back on, staying on again for 5 mins, then going off again. This is without putting more coal on the fire. It takes longer between coming on if it is cold outside, or if I have been away for a day.

The other thing is, most of the radiators will only get hot at the top and not at the bottom. They aren't exactly cold at the bottom, just slightly warm. I have bled all the rads and there was no air.

The hot water from the taps is always very hot, even if the fire has been off for a day or two.

Cheers

The pump might be operated through a pipe stat. It certainly should be.
That might explain why it is turning on and off. A pipe stat would have to be set precisely to avoid the water boiling before pump turns on. Also don’t want pump running when fire not heating much.
Or your pump is faulty, but unlikely

The pump might be operated through a pipe stat. It certainly should be.
That might explain why it is turning on and off. A pipe stat would have to be set precisely to avoid the water boiling before pump turns on. Also don’t want pump running when fire not heating much.
Or your pump is faulty, but unlikely

Thanks.

There is a stat. I can only see one.

On a box behind it, someone has written 45 on it. It looks like a plug socket, without the socket.

Should there be 2. 1 flow, 1 return?

I should add that if a pipe stat exists it should be on return pipe just leaving hot water cylinder.
If fitted in wrong place it could cause pump to be switched on too soon or too late and also cause short or long on/off periods.

Turn the stat down to see if it helps, if not - get it replaced or at least properly tested?

Yes the thermostat is wired in to bring on the pump when a certain temperature is reached, I would check function of thermostat first and then look at the pump

Thanks.

There is a stat. I can only see one.

On a box behind it, someone has written 45 on it. It looks like a plug socket, without the socket.

Should there be 2. 1 flow, 1 return?

Should be just one stat.
The “45” maybe is the setting temperature for the stat that someone has decided is correct for that stat on your system

Reply to Multifuel stove with back boiler problems in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock