Search the forum,

Discuss mr combi training course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

P4ULT

as above has anyone done it and any thoughts you have please.

I have had no need but my mate looked into it he never went but we have heard good things about it

was looking into buying the dvd as ive been on the baxi course but found it was too much for my brain to handle so thought it would be a good idea to have summat to watch over and over till it finally sinks in.

was looking into buying the dvd as ive been on the baxi course but found it was too much for my brain to handle so thought it would be a good idea to have summat to watch over and over till it finally sinks in.
Yeah thought about the DVD myself. If you get it let me know if its any good!

as above has anyone done it and any thoughts you have please.
iwas at a baxi traing day today out of nine people there i was the only one with any real experience in heating but two guys there said they did the mr combi course and it was a rip off all he was interested in was selling the dvd and multimeters

id never heard of it until tuesday i went an a worcester training course and one of the guys on the course said about it. was the baxi course for multimeters

Don't bother, if you understand how a boiler works then just add a diverter valve and flow switch really not much more to it get a decent multi meter go on a few manufacturers courses to find out model specific common faults its not rocket science just a simple machine with a basic sequence that if you understand you can find the fault.

id never heard of it until tuesday i went an a worcester training course and one of the guys on the course said about it. was the baxi course for multimeters
yes did the multi meter course with baxi at dartford very good also did the diagnostic which was excellent but id recomend doing all three days book it soon as the prices go up after april to 75 a day would still be worth it though

How much is the dvd anybody know? Its like moogai says, with a dvd you can watch and refer to it as many times as you want.

Hi All

the dvd is a basic instruction on the use of a multimeter tesing a thermistor and continuity. i would be surprised if it told you anything about a boiler that you couldnt pick up on here i was a bit dissapointed to be honest.there is a goo add on with a lot of boiler manuals on the dvd but you can get those on ebay for a few quid. IMHO

Derry

Spending a day with the manufactures can be so valuable, for fault finding. Find out which boilers are being installed in your area & go on the manufactures courses for them.
Get their helpline phone numbers.
Once you've got the basics, the manufactures are there to help you with problems specific to their boilers.
TIP.
If you can get to a trade show & chat to the manufactures,tell them you're interested in their boilers & they'll probably offer you a free placeon a training day.

im actually booked onto the mr combi course in october. although ive done loads of the manufacturer courses (some of them twice) i thought for the price i might learn something and if i dont (probably not likely) at least ill have met a few other fellas in the game who might be worthwhile contacts to keep for future reference and at worst ill only have lost out on a days work and £120 which is not really gonna matter to much but ill let u guys know how i find it,

i would however reccomend the new vokera fault finding course, although its vokera it covers faults that you can diagnose using the same methods on virtually all boilers. i found it really useful. and i was the only guy there so i had one on one tuition so i asked all the stupid questions no one normally dares ask incase they look like a numpty.

hi guys, i just did the mr combi course today. overall it was pretty good, i learnt a few new things, some of it i already knew. would i reccommend it to other engineers? in a word yes. its probably more suited to engineers who dont have a vast knowledge of how boilers work although there were a few guys there who had been repairing boilers for 20 years and they didnt have a clue on some of it.

Pros: very cheap course compared with other similar courses.
George AKA Mr Combi has a very good knowledge of boilers and how they work and he could answer all the questions in a way that was understandable.
Lots of little tips throughout the day
Good atmosphere
food n drinks included
i heard he tries to push out his dvd's and multimeters. not true, at the start of the course half the lads didnt even own one so they bought a multimeter willingly and he didnt actually try and sell his dvd in a hard sell manner, those of us who wanted one just asked him at the end of the course.

Cons:
although george had a few stories of boilers hed repaired (which were interesting to listen to) he did go on about them for a little to long.
it wasnt as hands on as i was expecting - the morning was spent watching a dvd and then doing electrical safety checks then in the afternoon we did the more hands on stuff.

overall it wasnt a bad course, id go again if i was offered it, and for £120 its not gonna break the bank.

The thing is I find, is remembering it all!

BG use a laptop to help their guys. But basically as has been said if you understand how a boiler is supposed to work and how the components work you have usually cracked it and can work it out for yourself usually regardless of which boiler your working on. But you do need the specifications for the details.

The manufacturer courses are model specific and can go much more in depth. The Vailant course did my head in but then I am a beginner.
Thats where mr combi comes in. Go for the DVD. Watch it over and over. Print notes if you need for reference on the road. It will help you get the basic sequence in you head and speed up you fault finding. With its help I have found all my boiler faults bar one first time.
Don't forget that the Manufacturers Technical lines are also very helpful. Caution though. They are not faultless.

£60 now, hope it helps because i just brought a copy, if not there might be a discounted dvd for sale

its been a week now, that DVD still hasnt turned up, sent an email, which wasnt replyed to, I tried to phone but its just answer phone suggesting I use his website

I hate companies like that, I really hope this DVD is worth it if it ever turns up because I'm getting a bit annoyed

its been a week now, that DVD still hasnt turned up, sent an email, which wasnt replyed to, I tried to phone but its just answer phone suggesting I use his website

I hate companies like that, I really hope this DVD is worth it if it ever turns up because I'm getting a bit annoyed

Hey Ambrosia... was the dvd any good? was it worth the money... OR, did it even arrive?

Hi,

Just done the MR COMBI course (yesterday) and would like to say found the course very good well worth going i read some of the above posts but went with a open mind. The course as changed from some of the earlier posts there is no video and is hands on all day and there is defiantly no hard sale for his DVD, multi meters etc they get mentioned but thats it. I brought a multi meter before i went as i thought the ones he was selling £50 were a bit on the expensive side, the answer No, would have bought one from him no problems as a very good multimeter.
The training was first class and found George to be a very good instructor.

As for the food spot on, at lunch time all sorts of rolls, Cakes, and Sausage rolls :happybday: like a birthday party really. Also you could help yourself to tea, coffee, bottled water and juice all day .

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont often reply (gsr/oftec 18yrs in the trade ok im old ). i bought the mr combi dvd set not impressed

I often find it is not the course that is the problem, its remembering what you learnt when your under pressure on a job.

i bought the dvd a couple of weeks ago and found it very useful, there's three dvds one is a worcester on which i had anyway but i found the other two packed with information. like one of the guys says its good to have it to refer to . i struggle to remember all the stuff because i aint working on boiler repairs 24 7 . the main dvd is multimeter testing and i know most guys in this trade struggle to get their heads around ressistance testing etc so i would recommend it

i bought the dvd a couple of weeks ago and found it very useful, there's three dvds one is a worcester on which i had anyway but i found the other two packed with information. like one of the guys says its good to have it to refer to . i struggle to remember all the stuff because i aint working on boiler repairs 24 7 . the main dvd is multimeter testing and i know most guys in this trade struggle to get their heads around ressistance testing etc so i would recommend it

Hi,

After watching the DVDs do you think it will help you find and fix most problems on boilers?

I'm thinking of getting this DVD just to help me get a bit better (im ok just not brilliant :))

I have the DVD. I did offer it to some one on the forum for £25 but at the time I was moving house and couldn't find it, so I never got around to replying to them.

Anyway if someone does want it for £25 they can PM me, and send me a cheque. Its OK. I bought it for an apprentice who turned out to be useless. I watched it, and allthough it is good, it isn't a substitute for a proper fault finding course like the one that Baxi offer. The Baxi 3 day course is fantastic. Much more money though!!

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

New to boiler breakdowns so thought this course would be ideal. VERY wrong! As mentioned above by someone else, all he is interested in is selling the DVD, Multimeter or anything else he has on his shelves. In a class size of up to 12 people, he's the only instructor and you find yourself stood around scratching your head waiting in line behind the other 11 people until he gets around to seeing you and by then he rushing through so he can move onto the next section. Considering it was a boiler breakdown course, I left feeling that I had learnt nothing.

Very disappointed! Save your money and go on manufacturer courses, if you ask the right questions, you can get the courses for FREE! I'm looking to do the 3/4 day baxi course now to actually learn something!

Dartford. Booked Basic electrical,combi appreciation and wiring&system controls. Will book diagnostics later, no money left and 13th june was booked out :D

each cost £75, but you get 10% off when you book online. I paid £67.5 for each. I've been to Viessmann and that was free. Worcester is £50, spoke to their guy. Vaillant is £50 too. I think is not too bad if you learn something useful

I think they are reasonably priced, I want to try and do a few manufacturer courses this year. I'm guessing you don't have to do all 3 and can choose which ones il have to do some looking into it. Thanks.

each cost £75, but you get 10% off when you book online. I paid £67.5 for each. I've been to Viessmann and that was free. Worcester is £50, spoke to their guy. Vaillant is £50 too. I think is not too bad if you learn something useful

how did the course work out for you? learn much? I'm looking to go on it, looking for recent feedback.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to mr combi training course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock