Search the forum,

Discuss Moving the kitchen - London Flat Reconfiguration in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We love our flat but need more (reconfigure the) space with a growing family. Moving in London is not an option as 3 bed houses with a large kitchen are £100-200k more in our area. The kitchen is too small and a space that only cooking is possible in.
The only other communal space is a large south facing living/ dining room - our hallway is also very large.

Option 1: Move the kitchen to the living/ dining room at the front of the of the house and convert the kitchen to a bedroom.
Option 2: Extend the kitchen into bathroom and move bathroom to adjacent bedroom. Reinstate 3rd bedroom in Dining area.

The facts:
The flat is first floor purpose built with fully separate services.
The flat mirrors the flat below - so bathroom over their bathroom, kitchen over their kitchen etc..
Other flats in our row do have the kitchen at the back overlooking the garden so reconfiguration is possible (appreciate this is simpler than my options above)
Kitchen today has the combi-boiler, gas hob/ electric oven.
Ideally move the boiler but not a deal breaker to keep where is.
Happy to have electric only cooker/ oven.

Possibly more info than needed.

From a plumbing perspective which option is likely to be least costly & disruptive.
Carpentry, electrics even I can get my head around...plumbing not so...

Honest advise needed.

Thank you.

flat 1.jpg
flat 2.jpg

[automerge]1594675695[/automerge]
oh I should have added that the dishwasher is in the kitchen. The washing machine is in the hallway outside the bathroom

Realistically, if you want to relocate the kitchen & have electric cooking, all you need to do is provide hot and cold water and a 50mm waste point.
Relocating the boiler will be a lot harder than relocating a kitchen, unless you want to rip the place to pieces.

I'm not sure on regulations regarding boiler in bedrooms, but if it can stay in its current location, it will save you a lot of money.

I would look around the outside of the building and see if there are any waste points you can connect to for the kitchen sink / dishwasher.
Water supply - hot & cold, difficult but doable.

Why don’t you swap the back bedroom and kitchen round the other way, so the kitchen is at the back ?

Where do the waste pipe(s) from the kitchen go currently?
Where is the main soil stack pipe, is it outside or does it drop through the flat below?

Where do the waste pipe(s) from the kitchen go currently?
Where is the main soil stack pipe, is it outside or does it drop through the flat below?

The waste pipe in the kitchen leaves the kitchen to the outside/ exterior wall and down the building into drainage.
The drainage is located in the side return patio of the downstairs neighbours.
The soil stack is located outside the bathroom exterior wall and like the waster form the kitchen runs down the exterior of the building into drainage.
Thanks.
[automerge]1594741493[/automerge]
Why don’t you swap the back bedroom and kitchen round the other way, so the kitchen is at the back ?
Thanks for your reply. Considered this but gives little added sq m.
[automerge]1594741792[/automerge]
Realistically, if you want to relocate the kitchen & have electric cooking, all you need to do is provide hot and cold water and a 50mm waste point.
Relocating the boiler will be a lot harder than relocating a kitchen, unless you want to rip the place to pieces.

I'm not sure on regulations regarding boiler in bedrooms, but if it can stay in its current location, it will save you a lot of money.

I would look around the outside of the building and see if there are any waste points you can connect to for the kitchen sink / dishwasher.
the waste pipes all leave immediately outside the taps in the kitchen.

Last edited:
What does the freeholder think of your plans?

Haha good question. We get on very well and never have had issues over the past 5 years. Like us they are here to stay for the foreseeable.
The purpose of the room will change from living/ dining to kitchen/ dining.
Providing we can insulate well the pipework I'm hoping we can alleviate any concern...what would concern you if you were the downstairs flat?

Thank for you reply.
The outside of the building where I am proposing the kitchen is relocated to has a guttering pipe from the roof down into a drain. Can this drain be used for the kitchen water waste (sink & dishwasher)? Have no idea if guttering waste/ drainage is the same as household waste/ drainage.
The attic/ loft is directly above the kitchen - where the boiler is. Would moving it up be a complicated/ expensive job?
I will google this to check as probably subject to building regulations etc..
Thanks.

You didn't mention boiler was in the loft.
Should really be a non issue, except wating for hot water at the sink if it ss a long run

Not sure on your drainage regs regarding waste water into stormwater pipe.

Reply to Moving the kitchen - London Flat Reconfiguration in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock