Search the forum,

Discuss moving into house with electric storage and rads ALL CHANGE! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanish

Gas Engineer
Hello all, im moving into a 3 bed semi with electric storage heaters, ripping everything out as Transco or ? are piping gas around the area, there will be a 2 storey side extension and a rear single storey extension added in 12-18 months making it a 4/5 bed with bathroom, shower room, and 2 en suits and ufh on all floors, looking at types of heating systems I can have, there are also 2/3 working fireplaces that I will be using and would ideally like to have a back boiler to heat ufh with a bypass/switch over from heating system when fires in use

I know this is a lot to ask on a forum but looking at general ideas and working solutions, there is no rocket science need as I am a bit thick ta in advance

Last edited:
I'd be thinking system boiler, with unvented cylinder, id look at zoning the ufh depending on your needs, personally I'd proberly say scratch the back boiler and just have inset fire gas.

Last edited:
Hello all, im moving into a 3 bed semi with electric storage heaters, ripping everything out as Transco or ? are piping gas around the area, there will be a 2 storey side extension and a rear single storey extension added in 12-18 months making it a 4/5 bed with bathroom, shower room, and 2 en suits and ufh on all floors, looking at types of heating systems I can have, there are also 2/3 working fireplaces that I will be using and would ideally like to have a back boiler to heat ufh with a bypass/switch over from heating system when fires in use

I know this is a lot to ask on a forum but looking at general ideas and working solutions, there is no rocket science need as I am a bit thick ta in advance

You need a large storage combi or system boiler and unvented hot water cylinder to deal with the hot water demand of that amount of bathrooms.

If you're planning on using the fires as a heating source you can't go unvented (uncontrollable heat source)

I'd go down the route of system boiler, back boiler and thermal store. Thermal store works a bit like a combi but will accept many forms of energy input and as it's vented there's no problem with the G3 regs. Something like the Gledhill torrent has multiple inputs and outputs so you could run your UFH from the store and you will get mains pressure hot water to the taps. The energy input would come from your system boiler (and/or solar panels) during the summer and from your fires in the winter.

Hi Spanish, when u say back boiler are u meaning a multi fuel stove with boiler incorporated or gas fire with back boiler or even coal fire with back boiler ??.. If it is an uncontrollable heat source like a multi fuel stove then it can be linked in with another system boiler but it must be piped to an open vented system and manage to hear your hot water via gravity , but it can also be linked to your heating system , but if it's gas back boiler then you will be more suited to an unvented sealed system , it really depends on the layout of your house and how much disruption your happy with,

First get conformation from National Grid Gas (formerly Transco) that they are passing your house and that the network will have capacity to supply you.

Just because they are in the area doesn't mean they have allowed for you.
If the network can't cope you will be looking at costs towards upgrading it for your supply.

Cheers al for the time and effort in responding, it will be a multi stove/wood burner and was thinking along the lines of a Gledhill, have confirmed that gas supply is going within 20 meters of boundary.

Was also looking at a ground source heat pump as have a large garden anybody have knowledge of real time running costs?

Cheers all

GSHP will be cheaper to run than gas so long as property insulated properly. Additionally Govt will pay you the capital back to install the GSHP.

GSHP and ASHP both cheaper to run than gas when designed and installed properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to moving into house with electric storage and rads ALL CHANGE! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My property is a 3-bed terraced with double glazing windows... It currently has no central heating, so I will get a new combi fitted shortly... However, I will be putting in the central heating. My question is, is it still necessary to have a lockshield on the hall rad? I assume that...
Replies
Views
I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially boils down to the heat exchanger so I am now looking to bite the bullet and have a new boiler installed. My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'm planning on replacing a couple of rads soon as they are far too small for the size of the room causing the room to take an age to heat up but they are all connected via what I assume is Hep2O nothing is labled on the pipes that route behind the rad just on the flap behind the rad...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock