Search the forum,

Discuss Mounting WC frame to wall - help pls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All
I have recently purchased a Grohe WC frame for a wall hung toilet.
Can anyone tell me if it is OK to use the bolts that came with it to mount it to the wall, it goes into plasterboard then the breezeblock behind, the plugs that come with it are about 3 inch deep.
If not should I mount some 3x2 on the back wall and bolt it to that? what fixings would I need to mount the 3x2 to the back wall if so, I tried some 100mm frame fixings but the screw just pulled straight out.
Cheers for your help in advance

Plasterboards stuck to breezeblock tend to flex so you don't want to be fixing your frame up against it. Id cut the plasterboard away and either fix the frame directly to the breezeblock wall or as you say, screw a solid piece of wood to the breezeblock then bolt your frame to the wood.

Plasterboards stuck to breezeblock tend to flex so you don't want to be fixing your frame up against it. Id cut the plasterboard away and either fix the frame directly to the breezeblock wall or as you say, screw a solid piece of wood to the breezeblock then bolt your frame to the wood.
Hi Craig, thanks for the prompt replies
What would you use to mount the wood to the wall?

Post a picture or two we can advise you better I would recommend removed the plasterboard and fix a strip of ply 22mm at least plugged and screwed with panel adhesive or CT1 is a good choice , then good quality coach screws at least 6 fixings per frame . Kop

2x2 or 4x2 and as the lads say cut the plaster board and screw and plug with brown or yellow plugs

Eg 10 or coach screws

Hi Craig, thanks for the prompt replies
What would you use to mount the wood to the wall?
I'd use some 4×2 timber with some 6x70mm screws with 8mm rawl uno plugs. If the wall is solid you'll have no issue fixing to it. If you have fibrelites then goodluck :p

Also what's going round the toilet frame? You want a good bit of timber studding round it so you can fix a sheet of ply over the toilet frame. Don't just face the frame with plasterboad or it will flex and crack.

Also what's going round the toilet frame? You want a good bit of timber studding round it so you can fix a sheet of ply over the toilet frame. Don't just face the frame with plasterboad or it will flex and crack.
Hi, yes I am building a frame for the plasterboard, how should I screw this wood to the plasterboard? what should I use? the rear can mount to the breezeblock, the sides will screw to plasterboard

Do you mean 6mm thick and 70mm long screws?
Yeah, 6mm is the diameter of the screw and 70mm is the length. The imperial equivalent would be a 12 x 2 3/4" screw.

Hi, yes I am building a frame for the plasterboard, how should I screw this wood to the plasterboard? what should I use? the rear can mount to the breezeblock, the sides will screw to plasterboard

Can we have a picture of where the toilet frame is going and how big the boxing is going to be?

If thermolite blocks then remove plasterboard and glue and screw 18mm wbp ply from floor to the height of frame's fixings, this large sheet will spread the load and all will be well. If you rely on just the two fixings into thermolites you will more than likely end up crying as one day the frame falls away with you sat on the throne....

If you are going to tile it, then please do not use plasterboard to face the frame - use 12mm Hardiebacker (more important if you have smaller or ceramic tiles, but better for porcelain too).

As the guys have stated the frame needs to be fixed really well the methods stated above will all work I would always ply over the the entire frame then screw hardi backer cement board to it before tiling you need to minimize any flexing as I have had problems with tiles cracking when fitting the wall hung pan which is a pita . Kop

Reply to Mounting WC frame to wall - help pls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock